Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2012   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [NFL.com] Houston Texans have yet to be tested

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ed-this-season

Quote:
Houston Texans have yet to be tested this season

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: Sept. 16, 2012 at 04:55 p.m.
Updated: Sept. 16, 2012 at 06:03 p.m.

Print

Through two weeks of this young season, the Houston Texans have arrived as advertised.

Facing a soft early schedule, Houston beat up an iffy Miami Dolphins squad in the opener and kept the party going Sunday in a 27-7 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.
He's certainly right and I am now officially amped up to go see Peytons new digs at Mile High. How do you feel about it?
Old 09-17-2012   #2
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [NFL.com] Houston Texans have yet to be tested

Part of the test is thoroughly handling teams you're supposed to handle.

Let's see what happens in Denver.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

You gotta beat the teams you're supposed to beat. We've done that so far.

Let's see what the Broncos do tomorrow night. Personally, I expect them to handle the Falcons pretty easily. The Forehead has, apparently, come back and is in good form. Personally, I think he's lost a bit off his throws but he's so damned smart that he's able to compensate for that.

I expect the game next week to be a really good test of where we're at. It's going to be a tough one. It's a game that a lot of people on this board already penciled in as a loss prior to the season -- I was not one of those people.

I think we win it and go 3-0 for the first time in team history.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #4
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You gotta beat the teams you're supposed to beat. We've done that so far.

Let's see what the Broncos do tomorrow night. Personally, I expect them to handle the Falcons pretty easily. The Forehead has, apparently, come back and is in good form. Personally, I think he's lost a bit off his throws but he's so damned smart that he's able to compensate for that.

I expect the game next week to be a really good test of where we're at. It's going to be a tough one. It's a game that a lot of people on this board already penciled in as a loss prior to the season -- I was not one of those people.

I think we win it and go 3-0 for the first time in team history.
i think we surprise a lot of people and win it BIG !!!!!!
Old 09-17-2012   #5
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 832 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

ask the patriots and the cowboys about soft schedules
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i think yes this will be a good test but i still think our most important games are the two back to back prime time games

Vs packers and VS ravens

esp the ravens game that will prob be the morst important game of the season other then vs titans and @ titans
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #7
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel for Miami, nobody seems to want to give them any credit. They are a better team than the press is making them out to be.

Cannot wait for next week to see what excuses we get. "Broncos not a true test, Texans have an easy schedule, Blah Blah, Blah."

Oh well, a win is a win.
Old 09-17-2012   #8
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

All i kow is that the Dolphins won this week, pretty easily. Maybe everyone we have beaten isnt as bad as "we have made them look" and we are just better than a lot of people think.

So far the AFC in general looks ripe for the taking.
Old 09-17-2012   #9
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Next week at Denver...biggest game in franchise history?

In all seriousness though, I'm looking forward to going up against Peyton next week, Denver have a legit D and a legit O by the looks of things, Peyton looked good last week and I'll be watching with interest tonight to see how he looks again. He'll be on a short week which should give us some advantage.

I don't think the fins are as bad as we made them look last week either.

At the end of the day, the last number of seasons we've been handed brutal starts that have made it difficult to get off to a good record early in the season. This year we really need to capitalise on.

If we can start 5-0 it would be huge, a couple of tough games going into the bye which I'd hope to split and suddenly we'd be all set to take the top seed in the playoffs.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Next week at Denver...biggest REGULAR SEASON game in franchise history?

In all seriousness though...
I know you were joking, but I still just had ta fix for ya.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
I feel for Miami, nobody seems to want to give them any credit. They are a better team than the press is making them out to be.

Cannot wait for next week to see what excuses we get. "Broncos not a true test, Texans have an easy schedule, Blah Blah, Blah."

Oh well, a win is a win.
I agree the Fish are a much better team than many give them credit for.

They have a solid defense , and possibly the best DT pair in the entire NFL.

The common denominator between the first two games was poor QB play by both Gabbert and Tannehill. Outside of that , those two teams are pretty solid.

The Texans wont face a week QB in week three .... they'll face one of the games best.

Denver's defense is also pretty solid on all levels ... and along with that almost certain HOF QB , they can run the ball.

This game could come down to who has the ball last - the opportunity to score last.

Hope is a poor mans disease.

Last edited by Corrosion; 09-17-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #12
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The common denominator between the first two games was poor QB play by both Gabbert and Tannehill. Outside of that , those two teams are pretty solid.
One thing I noticed last year was several teams played poor against us.
Old 09-17-2012   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Next week at Denver...biggest game in franchise history? .
LOL. It's our Super Bowl.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #14
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 18555 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand what Sessler is saying and there is some room for debate, but he's right in the sense that Houston hasn't played a team that was remotely expected to be playing in January. So far, it's a blueprint for success, imho.

Recapping some of the sentiment on this board...
- Calling the Dolphins "iffy" is being a bit naive. The Dolphins are a tough team to beat. But even with a solid win on the scoreboard, a lot of peeps feel the game was closer than the score indicated. (I can recall the days when Houston was on the other side of that equation).
- Jags on the other hand, are an IR mess and I felt like Houston handled them as soundly as anyone should have expected.

So, with a "2 week tune up" out of the way, there are some things I like.
  • 2-0 baby!! They are who we thought they were!
  • No Significant injuries.
  • 2 games for the O-Line to develop further
  • Red Zone Scoring
  • Teams still don't have much tape on the Texans, who've gone 2-0 with semi-vanilla play calling.
  • Defense has given up 10pts total in 2 games :-)
  • Kube's hasn't "outcoached" himself... (yet?) But then again, he hasn't had to.

These are my simple observations, that I believe bode well for this team gearing up for week 3, which I believe is our toughest week of the schedule. Denver, a team who won a playoff game last year with Tebow under center, has apparently "upgraded" with whom a majority of NFL fans would consider to be one of the best in the game, and whom I consider to be Texans' kryptonite... This Peyton led Bronco team has a high probability of competing for the AFC Championship this season. With my homer goggles on, Houston could very well be who they are playing for the Conference Championship game.
Old 09-17-2012   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

After Gabberts first game against the Vikings (and throughout the preseason), most NFL commentators said he had turned the corner and was looking like the biggest turn around of the year. He played his best game as a pro in week 1

Tannehill's second game he had 300+ yards, multiple touchdowns, and a passer rating of over 100

I'm just saying the common denominator may be that we made them poor QBs
Old 09-17-2012   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought it was a fairly complimentary article.

We beat two teams that we were supposed to beat. That the Texans didn't shoot themselves in the feet and play down to lesser teams is a positive sign. They certainly made it look easy.

But like the article says, we have a stretch in the schedule that should reveal the heart and soul of the 2012 Texans. I think they have the potential to beat anyone, especially if they don't make stupid mistakes.
Old 09-17-2012   #17
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe, but the Texan's defense is currently #1 in both total defense (196 ypg) and passing defense (124 ypg):

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...sition/defense

Not only are the Texans delivering the wins, the defense is delivering the stats as well. And the offense is also playing very well, even if it is not putting up pin-ball machine type numbers.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

I wont dispute that .... Tannehill actually looked good against the Texans until that second quarter meltdown and once they fell behind , he didnt stand a chance against that pass rush .... but Gabbert is who we thought he was , a scrub.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
After Gabberts first game against the Vikings (and throughout the preseason), most NFL commentators said he had turned the corner and was looking like the biggest turn around of the year. He played his best game as a pro in week 1

Tannehill's second game he had 300+ yards, multiple touchdowns, and a passer rating of over 100

I'm glad someone else said this because I was thinking the same exact thing. And don't forget Reggie Bush going OFF after being kept fairly quiet most of the game against us.

Unfortunately, the counter-argument is that it might not be that we were making them look that bad but rather that Minnesota and Oakland really are that bad and were making them look good.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. The Raiders played the Chargers pretty hard and if it hadn't been for that whole long-snapper debacle could have been in that game. The Vikings, otoh, lost to the Colts.

I do think we made them both look worse than they actually are. But we might have broken Gabbert's psyche in the process and he might never recover.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #20
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayshauntay View Post
ask the patriots and the cowboys about soft schedules
Also, setting aside yesterday's shocker in NE, the Pats always seem to have one of the softest schedules in the league year after year after year, yet no one ever questions their place in the power rankings on the basis of their cupcake opponents. They always get the benefit of the doubt. I call b.s. on that.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read