Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2012   #41
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub or Luck for the rest of this season ONLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenRice View Post
I would take Yates over luck since he has one more year of familiarity with the offense.
I hope this is a joke. If not, this has got to be one of the most homerish statements I've seen in here.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #42
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure what the point of this hypothetical thread is but I would say that there is no question...Schaub.

I have only read thru a few of the posts in this thread but are there people out there that think that Luck is a better QB at this point?

There is no way.

The kid has a very tall cieling and an absolute cannon of an arm but he is a rookie and is showing it in the first two weeks.

I want the Houston defense to do to Luck what the rest of the NFL did to HWNSNBM. Sack him. Hit him. Make him run for cover and be afraid every snap.

When a QB gets sacked repeatedly it turns into a vicious cycle of "run for cover". I want the Colts to lose the next 7 years before they finally cut Luck.

I know, I know. Wishful thinking but I feel our defense can have the upper hand in this battle for years to come. In the past we built our defense to stop Peyton Manning. We are now at that point. Now Luck needs to hone his skills to beat our defense.
Old 09-17-2012   #43
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenRice View Post
I would take Yates over luck since he has one more year of familiarity with the offense.
Actually Yates has five more years of familiarity, he ran the same basic offense at NC.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #44
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I hope this is a joke. If not, this has got to be one of the most homerish statements I've seen in here.
I know you hate TJ, but c'mon, he's at least won a playoff game and Luck has a mere two pro games under his belt. I think it's a valid debate that does not merit a homer-blast.
Old 09-17-2012   #45
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I know you hate TJ, but c'mon, he's at least won a playoff game and Luck has a mere two pro games under his belt. I think it's a valid debate that does not merit a homer-blast.
Shouldnt be a debate at all.

Anyone who knows the game takes Yates.
Old 09-17-2012   #46
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Shouldnt be a debate at all.

Anyone who knows the game takes Yates.
Have you seen Luck play this year?
Old 09-17-2012   #47
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The Luck vs TJ is a much better thread than the original!

I'd take Luck over TJ. Yates handled himself well last year, but Luck looks like a good starting QB for alot of years.
Old 09-17-2012   #48
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
The Luck vs TJ is a much better thread than the original!

I'd take Luck over TJ. Yates handled himself well last year, but Luck looks like a good starting QB for alot of years.
This isnt asking about the future, it says the season ONLY. I would go with Yates based on the fact that he knows our offense.
Old 09-17-2012   #49
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 63539 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
This isnt asking about the future, it says the season ONLY. I would go with Yates based on the fact that he knows our offense.
Knowing the offense and executing it are 2 different things. I think Luck has a lot more upside, even this season, than Yates has even if he was named starter tomorrow.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #50
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't know...the argument could be made. If the Texans are pushing for a Superbowl THIS YEAR, then the argument could be made that Yates is preferable (if Schaub is injured).

I still don't know if I could buy into that though.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #51
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Have you seen Luck play this year?
Yes, but he is a rookie who doesnt know our system. For one year the logical choice is Yates.
Old 09-17-2012   #52
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36629 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote for gimp foot!

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #53
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Luck beat da viqueens lets not go NUTZZZZ LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #54
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Not impressed by Yates at all.

Luck would have done better than TJ last year in the same situation I believe.
Old 09-17-2012   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Not impressed by Yates at all.

Luck would have done better than TJ last year in the same situation I believe.
With Kubiak calling the shots? I don't know. He pretty much neutered the play-book with the rookie, I don't know if it mattered much who the rookie was. His job was on the line.
Old 09-18-2012   #56
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like we've changed the question the OP posed...

If the question is still Luck or Schaub - for this season only... the answer is Schaub.

If the new question is Luck or Yates for this season only... I think Yates is the answer... ...but not by much.

Now that QB combo implies Schaub's Lisfranc thing would take all this season to heal properly so he'd be back next season
AND somehow we got Luck out of the draft
AND we still had Yates on the roster - meaning we had both from OTAs on... then I think Yates would have an edge going into OTAs but I wouldn't be surprised if Luck doesn't push Yates hard preseason and steal the starter's job if Yates fails to improve significantly (as he did this preseason). Five years in the same or similar system and he still looks lost at times.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #57
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

I know stats arent everything but I still like to look at them just to pull in some info

Yates career

110/189 58.2% 4 TDs 6ints 4 fumbles

Luck

43/76 56.6% 3 TDs 3ints 1 fumble

Luck's data is a small subset so it is harder to work with but given Id say our offense last year even without Schaub was better than the colts currently. If I had to pick between the two Id pick Luck by that stats there doesnt seem tobe much downside and I think there is far greater upside
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #58
HollaIFyaHEMI
Rookie

If you mean Andrew Luck, the guy who threw 3 picks vs the Bears, and followed it up with an ok performance against a defense that made Blaine Gabbert look like a pro, then oh yeah....I want him THIS year over Schaub.
HollaIFyaHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #59
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaIFyaHEMI View Post
If you mean Andrew Luck, the guy who threw 3 picks vs the Bears, and followed it up with an ok performance against a defense that made Blaine Gabbert look like a pro, then oh yeah....I want him THIS year over Schaub.

If you take Lucks name out and put in Yates change some team names around it would sound like last year
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #60
HollaIFyaHEMI
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
If you take Lucks name out and put in Yates change some team names around it would sound like last year
Exactly. I think Luck gives us a better chance than TJ though, just due to his natural talent.
HollaIFyaHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read