Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-15-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Thursday Night Football: Another NFL Hypocrisy

We all know that bodies do not require time to heal...........especially football bodies..........

Quote:
Ravens, Eagles will play four games in 17 days this season
Posted by Mike Florio on September 15, 2012, 9:19 AM EDT

On Thursday’s Pro Football Talk, I pointed out the disconnect between safety and having every team play once this year on a Thursday, after playing on a Sunday.

Jason Whitlock of FOXSports.com took that inconsistency to the next level (or two) on Friday, with a scathing rebuke of the league’s decision to play Thursday Night Football.

Whitlock points out that the Ravens are in the midst of a season-opening stretch of four games in 17 days. We checked the schedule for every team; the Eagles will do it, too, from November 26 (a Monday nighter against Carolina) through December 13 (a Thursday night game against the Bengals).
THE REST OF THE STORY Be sure to also click on the link within the text above.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thursday Night Football: Another NFL Hypocrisy

4 games in 17 days has got to be rough on the players.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm losing interest in Thursday NFL games outside of Turkey Day -- Sunday & Monday is enough.

And I agree that players are in greater danger stacking games so close together.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think the NFL is missing out on a great way to extend the NFL season and give players more recovery time. Add two more bye weeks to the schedule and make them 3 or 4 weeks apart. So instead of a 17 week season, it becomes 19, with bye week rotations starting week 4, 8 and 12. It still allows for the final division matchups at the end of the season, and it helps break up the games. The season would have to be moved up and preseason could be shortened to make up for that, but I think it would be good for the
Players.
Old 09-15-2012   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I really think the NFL is missing out on a great way to extend the NFL season and give players more recovery time. Add two more bye weeks to the schedule and make them 3 or 4 weeks apart. So instead of a 17 week season, it becomes 19, with bye week rotations starting week 4, 8 and 12. It still allows for the final division matchups at the end of the season, and it helps break up the games. The season would have to be moved up and preseason could be shortened to make up for that, but I think it would be good for the
Players.
You should know by now that the NFL does not care about the "good for the players" bit.
Old 09-15-2012   #6
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this part of the new CBA? If so, why did the players agree?
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Is this part of the new CBA? If so, why did the players agree?

The new CBA mapped out a 16 game Thursday Night Football schedule.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2012   #8
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

If the NFL really cared about player safety, they'd try to move the sport back to a more ground & pound low scoring type of game.

But of course, that isn't good for ratings.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012   #9
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
If the NFL really cared about player safety, they'd try to move the sport back to a more ground & pound low scoring type of game.

Maybe that's why they have such an infatuation for Tebow.
Old 09-15-2012   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Please show the running game is safer than the passing game. I am sure all the linemen would like to hear it.
Old 09-16-2012   #11
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Please show the running game is safer than the passing game. I am sure all the linemen would like to hear it.
Well it's more of a theory of mine, so I could easily be wrong. I have no hard facts to back it up.

When the NFL talks about player safety today, they are mostly talking about head injuries. I don't think they care about finding ways to reduce the number ankle sprains or ACL tears. All of the new player safety rules revolve around reducing head injuries.

The NFL has been around for close to 100 years, so why are head injuries just a concern as of late? Helmet technology has gotten better, so safety should have gotten better... but it hasn't.

The reason is the NFL wanted to produce more action & scoring to make the game more exciting, thus boost ratings. They did this by introducing/enforcing rules to make passing the ball much easier. Defensive backs can no longer basically touch a receiver, or else they'll get called for a PI.

So how do defenses respond to this? The best way to defend the pass is to rush the passer and hammer receivers once they touch the ball. And here's where your increase in head injuries come from.
Old 09-16-2012   #12
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well it's more of a theory of mine, so I could easily be wrong. I have no hard facts to back it up.

When the NFL talks about player safety today, they are mostly talking about head injuries. I don't think they care about finding ways to reduce the number ankle sprains or ACL tears. All of the new player safety rules revolve around reducing head injuries.

The NFL has been around for close to 100 years, so why are head injuries just a concern as of late? Helmet technology has gotten better, so safety should have gotten better... but it hasn't.

The reason is the NFL wanted to produce more action & scoring to make the game more exciting, thus boost ratings. They did this by introducing/enforcing rules to make passing the ball much easier. Defensive backs can no longer basically touch a receiver, or else they'll get called for a PI.

So how do defenses respond to this? The best way to defend the pass is to rush the passer and hammer receivers once they touch the ball. And here's where your increase in head injuries come from.
Old 09-16-2012   #13
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Maybe that's why they have such an infatuation for Tebow.
Yeah maybe that's why they have changed the rules to favor the passing game. Tebow was popular for who he was off the field and the crazy stuff he did at the end of games. Had nothing to do with the ground and pound.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #14
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

There will come a time when we'll have NFL football 7 days a week. It's inevitable imo. There's too much money to be made. Thursday night football is such a weird night to have a game. I was watching the Packs and Bears game it didn't feel like a real football game to me. It just doesn't feel right to me, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who love it.
Old 09-16-2012   #15
Joeycharp89
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 Joeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sort of makes sense. Though I sort of believe that no matter how many rules you try to put in place to prevent head injuries they will still occur. At least, anything short of turning Football into an entirely different sport. With how fast these big guys can ram into each other it's almost unavoidable to not get a concussion, even if it's just from hitting the ground.
Joeycharp89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read