Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-28-2005   #1
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected
Question What year did Houston field the best team ever?

I am starting to believe that in 05 the Jaguars will be fielding the best team ever in Jacksonville, and it had me wondering what year did Houston have the best team ever?
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #2
Texan Dave
Veteran

Probably 1993, or during the Earl Campbell errah, but I wasn't around then, so to me, 1993. We had an absolutely awesome defence, had Jeffries, Givens, Duncan, and Slaughter, and Gary Brown had his only good season in the NFL. Absolutely unreal amount of talent on that team, and Joe Montana just came out and blew me away in the last minute and half of the game. But, you know, things like that are why he's on everyones top 3 QB list.
Texan Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

60 and 61. George Blanda led the Oilers were back to back AFL Championships. The next two best years were 1978 & 1979 where we lost in the playoffs to the eventual team of the decade and Hall of Fame laden Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs both times (we split with them in the regular season both years). Earl Campbell was the NFL rushing champion, Player of Year, All-Pro, Pro Bowl in 1978, 1979, 1980. We ended up losing in the playoffs to the eventual Super Bowl champ in 80 as well. That 3 year run with Earl was about as good as it can get without winning a Super Bowl.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #4
Texan Dave
Veteran

Like I said, I wasn't around back then, and I knew that we had won some AFL championships back in the days. But man, Earl was a bad dude, hands down the best power runningback to ever play the game.
Old 05-28-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We had some great talent later in the Moon era but I really hated the run n shoot. I think we wasted our hall of fame linemen backing up pass blocking all game using a high school offense. We had one of the best defenses in the NFL, hall of fame linemen, Heisman trophy running backs, a probabable HOF QB in Moon...but a high school offense that good teams shut down in the playoffs. oye.

Old 05-28-2005   #6
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

I thought 78 & 79 were really exciting Houston football years, but then again, I wasn't really into the Oilers before that time.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #7
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
We had some great talent later in the Moon era but I really hated the run n shoot. I think we wasted our hall of fame linemen backing up pass blocking all game using a high school offense. We had one of the best defenses in the NFL, hall of fame linemen, Heisman trophy running backs, a probabable HOF QB in Moon...but a high school offense that good teams shut down in the playoffs. oye.
92 we scored 24 points at denver. 93 we scored 38 points at buffalo. and 94 we scored 20 at home. there were some years shortly before these that we did not score as well but we also were not quite ready to win. of course we never won. also that team that only scored 20 against the cheifs were killed by injuries especially on the oline. if i remember correctly the oline had 3 starters out by the end of the game. and had a rookie named brad hopkins at left tackle getting used by derrick thomas.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2005   #8
Texan Dave
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
92 we scored 24 points at denver. 93 we scored 38 points at buffalo. and 94 we scored 20 at home. there were some years shortly before these that we did not score as well but we also were not quite ready to win. of course we never won. also that team that only scored 20 against the cheifs were killed by injuries especially on the oline. if i remember correctly the oline had 3 starters out by the end of the game. and had a rookie named brad hopkins at left tackle getting used by derrick thomas.
Yeah, so 94 was the year I was thinking of. Also I remember the holes the Oiler's offensive line used to open, the runningbacks would run 5 yards before anyone would even have a chance to touch them, they were litteraly big enough to drive a truck through. With those linemen, if a rb couldn't find the hole, he needed to be cut. Bubba McDowell used to crack heads in the secondary, and I believe Michael Barrow was a rookie that year also right??
Old 05-28-2005   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
Yeah, but we couldn't stay on the field and never wore down a defense. High flying offensive teams that can't grind the clock down rarely win in the NFL.

Old 05-28-2005   #10
Texan Dave
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Yeah, but we couldn't stay on the field and never wore down a defense. High flying offensive teams that can't grind the clock down rarely win in the NFL.
We had 1000+ yard rushers each of those years, I agree that the run and shoot was, is, and will always be JUNK. But the Oilers were the Colts of that erra(with about 800 times the defence), Warren Moon, much like Payton Manning, was a great QB, but when it came down to it, in the big game, he would choke up interceptions and bad throws all day long. I will NEVER forget in that Buffalo game watching Moon throw passes strait at linebackers, and watching the balls bounce right off of their chests.
Old 05-28-2005   #11
Texan Dave
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedTexan713
if you dissagree then too bad warren moon and lorenzo white dominated in 19991 warren moon had his best season ever wich was a great one and we got to the playoffs
That was 1993 dude. I think we still had Allen Pinkett in 1991, I didn't like him, no matter what anyone ever says, he will always be sub-parr in my eyes.
Old 05-28-2005   #12
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected
Question

Now this begs the question how did the best Oiler year compare with the best Titan year?

Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #13
Texan Dave
Veteran

By the time that came around, I really didn't care anymore.
Old 05-28-2005   #14
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

I've gotta go with 94. 12-4 going into that game vs. KC. I still remember Keith F'ing Cash throwing the football at the Buddy Ryan sign. We let an old decrepped Joe Montana beat us at home. I was there, I was a young teen, and I was pissed.
Old 05-28-2005   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The Oilers were 3-13 in '94 under the Commander, Bucky, and Billy Joe.

'93 had the most talented group of players and was one of the most bizarre years for any team in NFL history. Buddy and Kevin, Babygate, Alm, 11 in a row, the xmas day win in SF, the choke against KC.

'79 was the best team.

I'm not old enough to judge '60 and '61 but they obviously accomplished more.

The one-yard-short titans never had to play the Steelers in their prime like we did three times a year in '78 and '79.

Last edited by aj.; 05-28-2005 at 01:00 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #16
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

the team that went 12 and 4 was the 93 team but the loss to kc was actually played in jan of 94.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #17
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch
I am starting to believe that in 05 the Jaguars will be fielding the best team ever in Jacksonville, and it had me wondering what year did Houston have the best team ever?

ha, i'm glad we have higher expectations in houston than thrid place as best team ever.

Colts
Texans
Jags
Titans

this is how its gonna look this year
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #18
Dionysus22
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Dave
That was 1993 dude. I think we still had Allen Pinkett in 1991, I didn't like him, no matter what anyone ever says, he will always be sub-parr in my eyes.
Yes Allen Pinkett was a G! j/k!
I rememeber when he was first getting big my boy Josh, Warren's son, would always wear his jersey to school. We still gave him crap about it in high school cuz he still had up on his wall. But I'm not gonna say much, Warren always took us everywhere and always paid for everything. I don't care what people say, Warren Moon is a stand up guy. just made a few bad choices... :brickwall
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Dave
We had 1000+ yard rushers each of those years, I agree that the run and shoot was, is, and will always be JUNK. But the Oilers were the Colts of that erra(with about 800 times the defence), Warren Moon, much like Payton Manning, was a great QB, but when it came down to it, in the big game, he would choke up interceptions and bad throws all day long. I will NEVER forget in that Buffalo game watching Moon throw passes strait at linebackers, and watching the balls bounce right off of their chests.
Passing with that big a lead is just dumb. It stops the clock and gives the other team time to come back. The Run and shoot generated lots of rushing yards but that was between the 20's. With no TE's and 4 tiny wide outs it was not a good playoff offense since they could not run when they really had to. If we ran a more conventional offense we would have never blown those leads because we could have run the clock out on them. The R&S just was not capable of it.

Old 05-28-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch
Now this begs the question how did the best Oiler year compare with the best Titan year?
I don't think anyone here cares much about Nashville's franchise. Only Houston's.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read