Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2005   #21
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

We would've had to take Baas in the first round since SF nabbed him with the first pick of the 2nd. I'm not sure how far we would've been able to trade down, and still get good value for the pick. I like Baas too, but would you really want him at the 16th pick? Even in the low 20's it would be tough to take him.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005   #22
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

The O-Line will be fine. so wee all need not worry, for Casserly knows what to do.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005   #23
bigtex77
Veteran

All I know is I felt really bad for Seth Wand watching him try to single block Dwight Freeney last season. :brickwall They should have been able to adjust and give him some help. Even if they move Pitts back to tackle I'm not sure he can handle players of that caliber, even though I believe he is an upgrade.
Old 05-29-2005   #24
TexansTailg8r
Veteran

Good point on Pitts Nunusguy. I think Wand has a lot of upside, but if Cass and Co. weren't worried a little, I don't think they would have made the pitch to Pace, wouldn't be going after Shelton, and wouldn't be giving Pitts reps at the LT spot. One of these things alone maybe doesn't say a lot, but all 3 together indicate a high level of concern.
Old 05-29-2005   #25
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTailg8r
Good point on Pitts Nunusguy. I think Wand has a lot of upside, but if Cass and Co. weren't worried a little, I don't think they would have made the pitch to Pace, wouldn't be going after Shelton, and wouldn't be giving Pitts reps at the LT spot. One of these things alone maybe doesn't say a lot, but all 3 together indicate a high level of concern.

So if the coach's did not do any of these 3 things then you would feel better? Not me I am totally sold on Capers and Casserly and until they do not perform I will be. Look we are better than last year and they are trying to make us even better that's their jobs.

11-5 or 12-4 in 2005
Old 05-29-2005   #26
TexansTailg8r
Veteran

of course not....I'm glad they are looking to improve this team...that's the point. I'm totally sold on Cass. The point to my previous post is that they are concerned somewhat about the LT position and in my opinion they should be. Some here have indicated that they are fine with the O-line the way it is. It's pretty clear to me that Cass. and Co. are not fine with it.
Old 05-29-2005   #27
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

So does Weary have a chance at beating Wiegert for the starting RG position? Because I thought that Brown played when Wiegert got hurt.
Old 05-30-2005   #28
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex77
All I know is I felt really bad for Seth Wand watching him try to single block Dwight Freeney last season. :brickwall They should have been able to adjust and give him some help. Even if they move Pitts back to tackle I'm not sure he can handle players of that caliber, even though I believe he is an upgrade.
I keep hearing about what Freeney did to Wand last year, if I'm correct Freeney did the same to some of the best LT, I watched the Colts-Ravens games last season and Freeney did the exact same thing to the Ravens LT Ogden, isn't Ogden one of the best LT in the league?
southtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005   #29
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexan
I keep hearing about what Freeney did to Wand last year, if I'm correct Freeney did the same to some of the best LT, I watched the Colts-Ravens games last season and Freeney did the exact same thing to the Ravens LT Ogden, isn't Ogden one of the best LT in the league?

Yes, I watched the same game as you, Freeney killed Ogden. That is my point, the coaches were asking a second year player to do what a All-Pro couldn't. Ironically, when the Ravens were pressuring the hell out of Manning didn't he remind you of David, just trying to throw it away, or get out of bounds?
Old 05-30-2005   #30
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Texans line suck. They always have...... false hope is a bad thing. Last year, the sacks that they gave up were just from sloppy play and getting totaly overpowered. They all should be demoted to the collagete level.

I sure aint expecting much from this line.

Sometimes I wonder if certain fans know the difference between lack of talent and questionable blocking/pass protection schemes.
Old 05-30-2005   #31
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the thing about our line this year is that there wasn't any real impressive additions to it...we were all wanting an LT to be adding in either the first day of the draft or in FA...neither happened...riley to my knowledge has never played LT in the nfl and may not have the feet for the job...he will probably be a very good back up or rotational guy guy...shelton if signed i would expect to be our starting LT but it is not for sure that we will be the team he signs with...pitts needs to be left at LG where he is best suited...i feel that the last 6 games of the season he really started to come into his own at that position and moving him would just stunt everything...as for weary beating out weigert...that'll happen when ...weary has been a dissapointment in my opinion...he should have been our starting RG his second year but always seems to jump offsides...weigert is argueably our best lineman WHEN healthy...the center battle is the one i want to pay the most attention to...although it is unlikely that hodgdon will beat out mckinney this year it is likely for him to upseat washington for the back up role...washington then could try to upseat brown or weary for one of the back-up guard positions which i feel he could easily do...if we do not sign shelton this is how i see the depth chart for the o-line looking

wand pitts mckinney wiegert wade
riley washington hodgdon weary t. brown

another thing worth noting...riley has the body-type to be moved inside at guard...if that were to happen i would use him during short-yardage and goalline settings at the guard position on the left side...move pitts to LT and wand to TE at those times...and run the ball left everytime
Old 05-30-2005   #32
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

run the ball left ?

:brickwall

so we're going to move everyone around on the line, in certain situations ?

throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005   #33
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
run the ball left ?

:brickwall

so we're going to move everyone around on the line, in certain situations ?

Stuff like this may work occasionally, but it doesn't take long to figure out.
Old 05-30-2005   #34
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

HUH ?
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005   #35
bigtex77
Veteran

I was being sarcastic about moving everyone around and only running to the left.
Old 05-30-2005   #36
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex77
I was being sarcastic about moving everyone around and only running to the left.
I kinda like the idea of using an Olineman as a tight end on a short run.
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005   #37
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

freeney beat alot of people last season so not just seth, so dont be to hard on the guy.
Old 05-30-2005   #38
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

IMHO, Brandon Evans has a very good chance of coming in and unseating one of the OG's. From what I have seen of him in NFLE, Evans has been impressive. I think he will move into the back-up role at LG, and Weary, Washington, and Riley, could all be gone. If Riley can get into shape and play RG, he could possibly beat out Milford Brown as the back-up there, but if not Riley won't make the team. Right now, Weary's best chance of making the team is if he can win the back-up Center role.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #39
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

IMO - The line is still in trouble - Still un-resolved and hasnt gotten really any better magically over the off-season with no changes in personel.

IMO - reworking the blocking scheme is little excuse for the line to give up 50 sacks in a season. These are professionals - guys most of them with a few years or more experience. Wand was the real rookie on the line having to play LT for the first time - and was man-handled accordingly for the most part. Honestly our O-line has been pretty poor all along. Our second year being the only banner year.

MY pick - Texans O-line Rank - 28

Overall I think our line ranks below average at every position but LG/RG and pretty poor in some positions. We are 3 years in and still unsettled at LT and have given up a record amount of sacks over a 3 year period comparable to some of the worst lines in the league. I would rank our O-line in the bottom quarter of the league at this point after 3 seasons and think we could do almost as good with 5 street free agents who were hungry for a job.

This article in the Chronicle sums up alot too about how I feel about the line. I guess my biggest problem with the line is how the FO has addressed or not addressed it for 3 years pretending it's a non-issue until it's such a huge problem everyone in the league is pointing it out from the fans to the QB

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...texans/3200517

Last edited by U4ikrob; 05-31-2005 at 02:08 PM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #40
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

the line will be fine, yall all worry to much. Carr will not get sacked over 40 plus times this season. Thats a gurantee.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read