Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-28-2005   #21
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch
I love that picture...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #22
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
the team that went 12 and 4 was the 93 team but the loss to kc was actually played in jan of 94.
Yes, I'm painfully aware of that.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #23
Texan Dave
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus22
I don't care what people say, Warren Moon is a stand up guy. just made a few bad choices... :brickwall
Yeah, like beating down his wife.
Texan Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #24
Texan Dave
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Passing with that big a lead is just dumb. It stops the clock and gives the other team time to come back. The Run and shoot generated lots of rushing yards but that was between the 20's. With no TE's and 4 tiny wide outs it was not a good playoff offense since they could not run when they really had to. If we ran a more conventional offense we would have never blown those leads because we could have run the clock out on them. The R&S just was not capable of it.
Verry true. Their was a lot of games they would have won if they would have at least had some goal line packages with at least an extra offensive lineman or something . Ahhh, the R&S frustration is coming back!!
Old 05-28-2005   #25
briptexanfan
Rookie

Question

2005 is their best season, hay, I can look to the future can't I?
briptexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #26
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
Yeah, like beating down his wife.
hello captain obvious...confucius say weak post deserve weak reply...

Old 05-28-2005   #27
Texan Dave
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
hello captain obvious...confucius say weak post deserve weak reply...

Well in my book, anyone who beats their wife is nothing more than a coward, and anything but a stand up guy. That was my point.
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2005   #28
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Dave
Verry true. Their was a lot of games they would have won if they would have at least had some goal line packages with at least an extra offensive lineman or something . Ahhh, the R&S frustration is coming back!!
they were one of the better teams in the league at scoring td's inside the red zone during their run n' shoot era. there were several reason's that team never won (the main reason was they never had anyone to step up and make play's in presure situations} but the run n shoot was not to blame. that said i dont think the run n shoot would work today. it was more of a gimmick offense that defenses caught up with.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #29
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

The year they went to Pittsburgh and lost with the Renfro catch against a steller Pittsburgh team. I think that was the best Oiler team/Houston team.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005   #30
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Statistics may say that one of the Warren Moon led teams in the 90's is the best team that Houston ever put on the field but I don't buy it. In my opinion the Oilers of 1978-79 were the greatest football team in Houston history. That truly was a team and they often played far over their collective heads. They made each other better, they loved one another and for two years straight they came within a game of going to the Super Bowl.

In both those years I'd call them the second best team in the NFL without hesitation.

I don't know enough about the AFL Championship Oilers of the 60's to speak intelligently about them and they may have had a similar thing going for them. I know one thing though without any doubt. The Oilers of the 90's were not a team. They were a collection of talented individuals who often underachieved. They were able to beat a lot of teams in regular season games. When the post season arrived and the pressure increased they always blew it.
Old 05-28-2005   #31
titanfan539

Quote:
I don't think anyone here cares much about Nashville's franchise. Only Houston's.
Yeah, when the best team in franchise history emerged in Tennessee.
Old 05-28-2005   #32
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I went to some of those games in 60 and 61, and became a diehard Oiler fan from day one!! Goodness, how times have changed since 1960!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005   #33
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

didnt watch much football back then but from what i "think" i remember the 85-86 seasons. My dad was a huge fan.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005   #34
lucky13

well, the best game the oilers ever played was in SD, by the worst oilers team to ever make the playoffs. that will always be my best memory of the oilers.
Old 05-29-2005   #35
ojthecat
Veteran

The Oilers? They are DEAD to me.
Old 05-30-2005   #36
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
60 and 61. George Blanda led the Oilers were back to back AFL Championships. The next two best years were 1978 & 1979 where we lost in the playoffs to the eventual team of the decade and Hall of Fame laden Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs both times (we split with them in the regular season both years). Earl Campbell was the NFL rushing champion, Player of Year, All-Pro, Pro Bowl in 1978, 1979, 1980. We ended up losing in the playoffs to the eventual Super Bowl champ in 80 as well. That 3 year run with Earl was about as good as it can get without winning a Super Bowl.
Vinny, you are absolutely correct. Those were the glory years for the Columbia Blue. I lived and died with them. As we all remember, the one bad call kept us from the superbowl. Mike Renfro's touchdown that was called incomplete kept us out. At that time, we could have beaten any NFC team in the superbowl. The Steelers proved that as well. They were indeed a dynasty.
Old 05-30-2005   #37
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

there's only one oilers team, the edmonton oilers, and they're not playing either.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005   #38
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As we all remember, the one bad call kept us from the superbowl. Mike Renfro's touchdown that was called incomplete kept us out.
While I love the sustainment of legend, what I remember is one bad call that made it 17-13 Steelers instead of a possible 17-17 tie at the end of the third quarter.

I'll buy the momentum shift argument to a degree, but the fact is that the Steelers jammed it up the Oilers you-know-what in the 4th quarter, driving 78 yards for the score on the next possession and recovering Guido Merkens fumble late to set up the final Bleier TD. The Oilers did nothing offensively (and little defensively) in the 4th quarter as the Steelers totally shut them down en route to a 14 point victory. The Oilers had 24 yards rushing the entire day and the offense did not score a TD.

The Steelers were undefeated in Three Rivers in 1979 and the cards were stacked against the Oilers in the fourth quarter even if the Renfro catch would have been allowed.

A big play in a big game...absolutely. "The" single play that kept the Oilers from going the Super Bowl? I don't think so.

Last edited by aj.; 05-30-2005 at 08:26 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #39
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I was and still am a life long OILERS fan, but as some one else posted. The OILERS are dead. I don't like it when the TENN heads try to steal the OILERS history and I do not like the idea of trying to link the TEXANS to the OILERS. I love Earl Campbell. I would welcome him into my home and insist he sits at the head of the table. I would carry his bags from Houston to my home in Baytown. I would love for him to have a seat of honor in Bob's box, but I do not feel any official recognition of him by the Texans, as a way to tie the two teams/ eras together would be appropriate. The OILERS are dead.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #40
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I'd say 1993, mostly because that was the year my poor 18-year old self managed to get together enough money to attend 2 games - one was during that long win streak. And it was last year I was an Oilers fan. They traded Moon in the off-season, and I took an 8-year NFL hiatus.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read