Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans make contract offer to Shelton

DRIFTAWAY

Rookie
Hey guys i was just watching 11 News and at the end of their sports section they mentioned that " The Texans have made a contract offer to former Cardinal Left Tackle L.J. Shelton."

Lets hope he signs

tree dollars and fitty cents over 2 years. He has an incentive clause that will give him a free slurpy from 7-11 for every game started.

jacquescas said:
tree dollars and fitty cents over 2 years. He has an incentive clause that will give him a free slurpy from 7-11 for every game started.
LoL, that damn lochness monster.

jacquescas said:

HA,HA,HA, Snort,......Giggle,......Burp!!!! lol:

I think the guy would prosper in Houston. It's not like Arizona had the best program to learn from. He's got talent, athletic, and with some of the characters were getting into H-Town....might add some nasty streaks on the O-line!

well nothing is done yet, it was just an offer and they mentioned it pretty quickly at the end of their sports segment didnt go into detail. He could still refuse it or w/e.

i think he will sign with us because we are the only team he is visiting that is offering him a chance to start at LT that is the position he wants to play...everyone else is offering RT, G, and back up positions...so i see him coming here...carr breaths a slight sigh of releif

I know that it would be one step in the right direction to helping improve the line.

The rotating LT curse might finally be lifting ?

I sure hope he signs, and we can end that curse.

where did you see this at?? I searched but couldnt find any info on the Texans offering Shelton a contract. If you have a site i'd love to see it.

i have looked every where to find out something, i have that google alert update sent to my email and they didnt even mention it, any new news yet ????

We have no cap issues that prevent us from signing a guy or two like this if we want to.

jacquescas said:

Now Gosh Dabbit, Don't you go offerring that Shelton no tree fitty jacquescas! Start wit a buck oh five!

jacquescas said:

I guess The Texans can't sign him then there are no 7-11's in Houston only Stop n Go's :coffee:

BattleRedTexan713 said:
if we sign we could keep chester in guard and also have a alright backup lt like victor riley behind shelton...
Even if the Texans sign Shelton and he wins the LT spot, I doubt they'd just cut Wand. He would likely be the backup LT, with Riley the backup RT. Maybe it would allow Riley to challenge Wiegert at RG?

Anyway, the best reason to sign Shelton is that it would at least provide competition at the LT & maybe the RG spots. And competition is a good thing. Much better than just anointing guys as starters and hoping they earn that confidence.

I still haven't seen anywhere else where the Texans offered Shelton a contract. Can somebody update or did this guy who started this string just start a rumor?

texanfan2002114 said:
I still haven't seen anywhere else where the Texans offered Shelton a contract.
The info was off a Friday night KHOU-TV broadcast. I didn't see the broadcast myself, but others did. A contract offer won't make many wire services headlines (unless it's a high profile guy like Pace). A contract agreement will. Until then, we'll all keep our eyes & ears open.

Lucky said:
The info was off a Friday night KHOU-TV broadcast. I didn't see the broadcast myself, but others did. A contract offer won't make many wire services headlines (unless it's a high profile guy like Pace). A contract agreement will. Until then, we'll all keep our eyes & ears open.

Thank you!! I wasn't trying to start anything but just want the Texans to sign him and haven't seen any info on the contract offer.(contract amount and how long)

Lucky said:
Anyway, the best reason to sign Shelton is that it would at least provide competition at the LT & maybe the RG spots. And competition is a good thing. Much better than just anointing guys as starters and hoping they earn that confidence.

I definately agree with that. We need depth at the OLine, and if we hope to make any noise this season we'll need backups that are capable of filling in for short periods of time.

F-minus67 said:
There are no 7-11s in houston? Thats an out rage! :mad:

Yea I know it sucks - Stop n go bought all of em out several years ago and then sold most of those to Diamond shamrock in later years. I still miss 7-11's slurpees were the bomb. I can only get them now at the movie theatre and special convenience stores that have the machines.

Shelton - his agent and him reported last week they hope to have somethign decided by the end of this upcoming week so I think after the june 1st cuts come and everyone looks at the market he will make an announcement of some sort. Would be nice if we could get some depth/competition at LT for sure.

Im not so sure Riley will make the squad unless he loses some weight and reports to camp under the target weight. He was pretty out of shape from the early reports I read.

I saw the same report on Channel 11, but they didn't mention any details at all. We need to add finger tapping to the smilies list for the offseason as we wait.

I can just hear Capers, now.. Did somebody say run left. Oh, that's whats wrong. Hey, Palmer set up to run left. Move everyone from the right side to the left side. That way the other team won't know which way we're going to run. :bomb:

Ibar_Harry said:
I can just hear Capers, now.. Did somebody say run left. Oh, that's whats wrong. Hey, Palmer set up to run left. Move everyone from the right side to the left side. That way the other team won't know which way we're going to run. :bomb:

haha always a positive view on things huh ibar, lol.

TexansTrueFan said:
haha always a positive view on things huh ibar, lol.

On a serious note it just seems like nobody likes any of the options open to us. I'm not skipping me either. It seems like we have really boxed ourselves into a corner on this one. Some of you obviously feel more hopeful than me, but you have to admit I don't think anyone feels secure about how our offensive line is going to perform. No QB looks good when his O-line is failing him.

Ibar_Harry said:
I don't think anyone feels secure about how our offensive line is going to perform. No QB looks good when his O-line is failing him.

I feel secure. Look we are better than last year and trying to get even better if it makes since. I say 11-5 or 12-4.

Ibar_Harry said:
On a serious note it just seems like nobody likes any of the options open to us. I'm not skipping me either. It seems like we have really boxed ourselves into a corner on this one. Some of you obviously feel more hopeful than me, but you have to admit I don't think anyone feels secure about how our offensive line is going to perform. No QB looks good when his O-line is failing him.

u dont see them playing any better this year, i mean considering they have had a full year together with our new zone blocking scheme. I think our running game will be alot better, and hopefully with a full year under their belts they can give carr a little protection so we can light up opposing defenses.

Well, we're changing our offensive scheme again so that says something. I don't think Vinny or anyone on this board is confortible. But, others are obviously more upbeat than me. But I wouldn't say anybody is overwelmingly confident. I think what bothers everyone is it's the piece of the puzzle that eludes us and would tell us a lot about Carr and the team. How good is David? I think the answer is we don't know, because he never has had a lot of protection. Therefore, it's hard to gague how good he is. We get hints both ways. Sometimes you wonder and other times you say if only he had some time. It also makes it difficult for us to evaluate our receivers. How good is AJ? I think there are even questions in that respect despite what people think. How good is Starling? How good is Gaffny? Hopefully, you get the drift. I think most Texans fans think this team is a lot better offensively than it's shown and it looks like another year of guessing what is in store for us. That's a bummer..................

Ibar_Harry said:
Well, we're changing our offensive scheme again so that says something. I don't think Vinny or anyone on this board is confortible.
We are not changing the Offensive scheme. We may be changing the blocking protections and calls - making some yearly adjustments that all teams make, but the basic scheme will be the same. I'm pretty comfy. I can't wait till we play some ball.

Vinny said:
We are not changing the Offensive scheme. We may be changing the blocking protections and calls - making some yearly adjustments that all teams make, but the basic scheme will be the same. I'm pretty comfy. I can't wait till we play some ball.

Will basically agree to disagree on this one Vinny. I know what they have said, but I think you will find in reality that they have changed their scheme. The real thing is I hope like you it does work. I just don't have the confidence you have and you have to have some worry despite what you say. Is their some potential this year? Yes, however, I think their is also reason for concern. I keep saying if we get our O-line problems solved, then we could be on the verge of something nice. I guess that's why I'm so adament about fixing the O-line. I think we will all be smiling about the results.

Ibar_Harry said:
Will basically agree to disagree on this one Vinny. I know what they have said, but I think you will find in reality that they have changed their scheme. The real thing is I hope like you it does work. I just don't have the confidence you have and you have to have some worry despite what you say. Is their some potential this year? Yes, however, I think their is also reason for concern. I keep saying if we get our O-line problems solved, then we could be on the verge of something nice. I guess that's why I'm so adament about fixing the O-line. I think we will all be smiling about the results.
well there is only so much we can do, we basically made our run at Pace, signed Riley, making an effort for Shelton... the draft was so weak with OLmen, anyone we drafted wouldnt have made a immediate impact.... next year is a good OL class, we will most likely pick up an interior linemen to replace mckinney in the 2nd round

how can you call wand a waste of money he has a full year starting experience and would probably be our best tackle off the bench and is still improving. He is only under his rookie contract which is very affordable and woulld provide competiton and depth at the tackle position. its not like we need to free up any cap room right now.

also didn't shelton say he would sign quick how long is he gonna sit on the market? HAVE ANY other teams made him a conctract offer

From what I read the Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. That means there has to be a reason given our obvious O-line needs. I believe Shelton wanted to give an answer by the end of this week. I think we are offering the position he wants, but not the money. Again, I'm simply summarizing what I have read from various articles. After reading I have gotten a little nervous about this guy. If he signs with us, I think it will be because he just wasn't going to get other offers.

Not the latest, but an interesting story on LJ nonetheless....
Green returns Shelton to starting role

NFL.com wire reports

TEMPE, Ariz. (Oct. 6, 2004) -- L.J. Shelton is back in the starting lineup for the Arizona Cardinals, and the big offensive tackle says he intends to do everything he can to stay there.

"I'm not taking anything for granted, I know that," he said after an entire workout with the first team. "It's always a 'for now' business. If I'm not productive, I won't be here. I've just got to build on last week, and keep getting better."

Shelton and Jeremy Bridges were inserted at right tackle and guard, respectively, in place of Anthony Clement and Cameron Spikes on the third series of their Week 4 game against New Orleans.

Suddenly, the Cardinals began to move the ball, particularly on the ground, and went on to a 34-10 victory.

"I tell you what, something happened when they got in the game," Emmitt Smith said.

Arizona finished with 211 yards rushing and 373 total yards -- all but 4 of them in the last three quarters. Smith gained 127 yards in 21 carries.

"We had a good game running the ball," quarterback Josh McCown said, "and L.J. has been very patient, and Bridges, as well. It's good to see those guys back there. ... It's good to see L.J. back, because you know he's going to play hard every time he's on the field."

Bridges, signed by Arizona after being cut by Philadelphia, knew he would have to fight his way into the lineup. But Shelton had little reason to think he would be on the sidelines.

Entering this season, Shelton started at left tackle 68 of the 70 games in which he appeared. He was rewarded with a five-year contract extension last November.

But the former first-round draft pick from Eastern Michigan underwent offseason elbow and ankle operations, then came in out of shape in the summer minicamps.

New coach Dennis Green planned all along to move Leonard Davis from left guard to left tackle, Shelton's longtime position. Most thought Shelton would shift to another spot along the line.

But Green yanked Shelton from the first unit in June, and the situation didn't change even as the tackle worked his way into shape. Shelton was sidelined with a sore back the last two weeks of the preseason, but he returned to practice the week before the opener at St. Louis.

Still, through the first three contests, the only game action the 6-foot-6, 335-pound lineman saw was on special teams.

"I'll be ready when they need me," was his stock answer to questions about not playing.

Meanwhile, Arizona's offense sputtered. The Cardinals scored only 25 points in three games. They began the Saints game with two three-and-outs, then Green made the changes on the line.

"We played with the same lineup for a long period of time," Green said. "It didn't quite click maybe the way we wanted it to."

Green said he doesn't like to make lineup changes without giving players a good, long look.

"I always give guys a chance to get their job, hold their job," he said. "I'd rather be late than early when it comes to making switches, because when I make 'em, I make 'em."

After watching video of his performance, Shelton was less than satisfied.

"I was productive," he said. "You could tell by watching I wasn't very comfortable over there on the right side. There were some things footwork-wise. I gave us a chance to win, but I know my expectations of myself were higher."

Shelton acknowledged his time on the sidelines gave him motivation, and not only for one game.

"After sitting for three games after getting the contract I had, I'm sure there were going to be questions about what was going on there," he said. "So I have to show that I can play. I have to show I can prove people wrong."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
NFL.com

Ibar_Harry said:
From what I read the Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. That means there has to be a reason given our obvious O-line needs. I believe Shelton wanted to give an answer by the end of this week. I think we are offering the position he wants, but not the money. Again, I'm simply summarizing what I have read from various articles. After reading I have gotten a little nervous about this guy. If he signs with us, I think it will be because he just wasn't going to get other offers.

Look this was a holliday weekend nothing was going to happen. The fact is he said that he hoped to be signed by Friday last time I checked it is Tuesday. Plus where did you read that the "Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. "? I have not seen that anywhere and would be interested in where you actually saw this?

I like this guys attitude. I think the situation itself will mean that we would get a real good and mature Shelton as opposed to the guy that had to get over the hump of rehab and surgery.

ojthecat said:
Look this was a holliday weekend nothing was going to happen. The fact is he said that he hoped to be signed by Friday last time I checked it is Tuesday. Plus where did you read that the "Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. "? I have not seen that anywhere and would be interested in where you actually saw this?
Ibar can find a dark cloud in every silver lining. He is just speculating again. If we don't want to pay too much for an average lineman I can't find too much fault in that.

I think I heard about this contract offer and not wanting to pay too much from the Justice & McClain show.

I just heard a blurb on Mcclain and justice about the line. Several comments about them not being settled on the line yet and still switching things around. They talked about bringing in Shelton and making a min offer plus a bonus to get him to come in for a workout etc etc.

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/sports/mcclain/home/index.html

John Lopez also gave a pretty hard look at the O-line I agree mostly with.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/fb/texans/3200517

Vinny said:
Ibar can find a dark cloud in every silver lining. He is just speculating again. If we don't want to pay too much for an average lineman I can't find too much fault in that.

Vinny all I said is what I read about not wanting to offer him a lot of money. Its just a statement of fact. I can't remember, but I believe it was on ESPN were I read that. In fact what I read I believe referred to the minimum. The only reason I remember was I was surprised that the Texans wanted to low ball this position. If indeed the figure is a low ball then there must be some nervousness on the part of the Texans for some reason. Does that mean it won't work out? No, I just think its less likely that we will sign him under those circumstances unless no one else wants to make an offer.

I was also responding to someone who wondered when he might sign. I also was stating by the end of this week. Oh,well, seems like a lot of ruffled feathers over nothing.

Ibar_Harry said:
Vinny all I said is what I read about not wanting to offer him a lot of money. Its just a statement of fact.
Facts are easy to prove. Prove it. Otherwise it is writer speculation or musings - making logical assumptions. Show me where Charley Casserly has disclosed an offer. I haven't seen anything that says we offered him a minimum contract yet. If you can prove it, great. Then it will be a fact. Frankly it probably is a fact soon (they will likely offer him a contract soon) because he is a bust 1st rounder who just got cut. Probably incentive laden.

Ibar_Harry said:
Vinny all I said is what I read about not wanting to offer him a lot of money. Its just a statement of fact. I can't remember, but I believe it was on ESPN were I read that. In fact what I read I believe referred to the minimum. The only reason I remember was I was surprised that the Texans wanted to low ball this position. If indeed the figure is a low ball then there must be some nervousness on the part of the Texans for some reason. Does that mean it won't work out? No, I just think its less likely that we will sign him under those circumstances unless no one else wants to make an offer.

I was also responding to someone who wondered when he might sign. I also was stating by the end of this week. Oh,well, seems like a lot of ruffled feathers over nothing.

The way NFL contracts work it would be no real problem to offer a player a large contract (not signing bonus) and then cut the player. Thus I do not believe that your statements hold water. If you are correct simply provide your source don't say i just read it. Look most of us read the all of the other sites so if it was on ESPN i think we would have seen it. We are starved for Texans news so anything written would be read by others. Sounds to me like you might be making it up sir.

Back