Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-31-2005   #41
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

how can you call wand a waste of money he has a full year starting experience and would probably be our best tackle off the bench and is still improving. He is only under his rookie contract which is very affordable and woulld provide competiton and depth at the tackle position. its not like we need to free up any cap room right now.

also didn't shelton say he would sign quick how long is he gonna sit on the market? HAVE ANY other teams made him a conctract offer
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #42
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

From what I read the Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. That means there has to be a reason given our obvious O-line needs. I believe Shelton wanted to give an answer by the end of this week. I think we are offering the position he wants, but not the money. Again, I'm simply summarizing what I have read from various articles. After reading I have gotten a little nervous about this guy. If he signs with us, I think it will be because he just wasn't going to get other offers.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #43
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Not the latest, but an interesting story on LJ nonetheless....
Quote:
Green returns Shelton to starting role

NFL.com wire reports

TEMPE, Ariz. (Oct. 6, 2004) -- L.J. Shelton is back in the starting lineup for the Arizona Cardinals, and the big offensive tackle says he intends to do everything he can to stay there.

"I'm not taking anything for granted, I know that," he said after an entire workout with the first team. "It's always a 'for now' business. If I'm not productive, I won't be here. I've just got to build on last week, and keep getting better."

Shelton and Jeremy Bridges were inserted at right tackle and guard, respectively, in place of Anthony Clement and Cameron Spikes on the third series of their Week 4 game against New Orleans.

Suddenly, the Cardinals began to move the ball, particularly on the ground, and went on to a 34-10 victory.

"I tell you what, something happened when they got in the game," Emmitt Smith said.

Arizona finished with 211 yards rushing and 373 total yards -- all but 4 of them in the last three quarters. Smith gained 127 yards in 21 carries.

"We had a good game running the ball," quarterback Josh McCown said, "and L.J. has been very patient, and Bridges, as well. It's good to see those guys back there. ... It's good to see L.J. back, because you know he's going to play hard every time he's on the field."

Bridges, signed by Arizona after being cut by Philadelphia, knew he would have to fight his way into the lineup. But Shelton had little reason to think he would be on the sidelines.

Entering this season, Shelton started at left tackle 68 of the 70 games in which he appeared. He was rewarded with a five-year contract extension last November.

But the former first-round draft pick from Eastern Michigan underwent offseason elbow and ankle operations, then came in out of shape in the summer minicamps.

New coach Dennis Green planned all along to move Leonard Davis from left guard to left tackle, Shelton's longtime position. Most thought Shelton would shift to another spot along the line.

But Green yanked Shelton from the first unit in June, and the situation didn't change even as the tackle worked his way into shape. Shelton was sidelined with a sore back the last two weeks of the preseason, but he returned to practice the week before the opener at St. Louis.

Still, through the first three contests, the only game action the 6-foot-6, 335-pound lineman saw was on special teams.

"I'll be ready when they need me," was his stock answer to questions about not playing.

Meanwhile, Arizona's offense sputtered. The Cardinals scored only 25 points in three games. They began the Saints game with two three-and-outs, then Green made the changes on the line.

"We played with the same lineup for a long period of time," Green said. "It didn't quite click maybe the way we wanted it to."

Green said he doesn't like to make lineup changes without giving players a good, long look.

"I always give guys a chance to get their job, hold their job," he said. "I'd rather be late than early when it comes to making switches, because when I make 'em, I make 'em."

After watching video of his performance, Shelton was less than satisfied.

"I was productive," he said. "You could tell by watching I wasn't very comfortable over there on the right side. There were some things footwork-wise. I gave us a chance to win, but I know my expectations of myself were higher."

Shelton acknowledged his time on the sidelines gave him motivation, and not only for one game.

"After sitting for three games after getting the contract I had, I'm sure there were going to be questions about what was going on there," he said. "So I have to show that I can play. I have to show I can prove people wrong."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
NFL.com
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #44
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
From what I read the Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. That means there has to be a reason given our obvious O-line needs. I believe Shelton wanted to give an answer by the end of this week. I think we are offering the position he wants, but not the money. Again, I'm simply summarizing what I have read from various articles. After reading I have gotten a little nervous about this guy. If he signs with us, I think it will be because he just wasn't going to get other offers.
Look this was a holliday weekend nothing was going to happen. The fact is he said that he hoped to be signed by Friday last time I checked it is Tuesday. Plus where did you read that the "Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. "? I have not seen that anywhere and would be interested in where you actually saw this?
Old 05-31-2005   #45
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this guys attitude. I think the situation itself will mean that we would get a real good and mature Shelton as opposed to the guy that had to get over the hump of rehab and surgery.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
Look this was a holliday weekend nothing was going to happen. The fact is he said that he hoped to be signed by Friday last time I checked it is Tuesday. Plus where did you read that the "Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. "? I have not seen that anywhere and would be interested in where you actually saw this?
Ibar can find a dark cloud in every silver lining. He is just speculating again. If we don't want to pay too much for an average lineman I can't find too much fault in that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #47
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

I think I heard about this contract offer and not wanting to pay too much from the Justice & McClain show.

I just heard a blurb on Mcclain and justice about the line. Several comments about them not being settled on the line yet and still switching things around. They talked about bringing in Shelton and making a min offer plus a bonus to get him to come in for a workout etc etc.

http://www.chron.com/content/chronic...ome/index.html

John Lopez also gave a pretty hard look at the O-line I agree mostly with.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...texans/3200517
Old 05-31-2005   #48
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Ibar can find a dark cloud in every silver lining. He is just speculating again. If we don't want to pay too much for an average lineman I can't find too much fault in that.
Vinny all I said is what I read about not wanting to offer him a lot of money. Its just a statement of fact. I can't remember, but I believe it was on ESPN were I read that. In fact what I read I believe referred to the minimum. The only reason I remember was I was surprised that the Texans wanted to low ball this position. If indeed the figure is a low ball then there must be some nervousness on the part of the Texans for some reason. Does that mean it won't work out? No, I just think its less likely that we will sign him under those circumstances unless no one else wants to make an offer.

I was also responding to someone who wondered when he might sign. I also was stating by the end of this week. Oh,well, seems like a lot of ruffled feathers over nothing.
Old 05-31-2005   #49
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Vinny all I said is what I read about not wanting to offer him a lot of money. Its just a statement of fact.
Facts are easy to prove. Prove it. Otherwise it is writer speculation or musings - making logical assumptions. Show me where Charley Casserly has disclosed an offer. I haven't seen anything that says we offered him a minimum contract yet. If you can prove it, great. Then it will be a fact. Frankly it probably is a fact soon (they will likely offer him a contract soon) because he is a bust 1st rounder who just got cut. Probably incentive laden.

Old 05-31-2005   #50
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Vinny all I said is what I read about not wanting to offer him a lot of money. Its just a statement of fact. I can't remember, but I believe it was on ESPN were I read that. In fact what I read I believe referred to the minimum. The only reason I remember was I was surprised that the Texans wanted to low ball this position. If indeed the figure is a low ball then there must be some nervousness on the part of the Texans for some reason. Does that mean it won't work out? No, I just think its less likely that we will sign him under those circumstances unless no one else wants to make an offer.

I was also responding to someone who wondered when he might sign. I also was stating by the end of this week. Oh,well, seems like a lot of ruffled feathers over nothing.
The way NFL contracts work it would be no real problem to offer a player a large contract (not signing bonus) and then cut the player. Thus I do not believe that your statements hold water. If you are correct simply provide your source don't say i just read it. Look most of us read the all of the other sites so if it was on ESPN i think we would have seen it. We are starved for Texans news so anything written would be read by others. Sounds to me like you might be making it up sir.
Old 05-31-2005   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't remember, but I believe it was on ESPN were I read that. In fact what I read I believe referred to the minimum. The only reason I remember was I was surprised that the Texans wanted to low ball this position. If indeed the figure is a low ball then there must be some nervousness on the part of the Texans for some reason.
The only place I have seen discussions about low offers from the Texans for Shelton were by fans here and at hpf and it was stated in a positive light as in "sure bring him in for competition but only at a small possibly heavily incentive ladden contract." That approach isn't low-balling the guy. He is a 1st rounder who played one year on a new 5 year contract and the team was so disappointed in him they didn't want to keep him even for depth and took a $3.3 mil cap hit to do so. That is something the Texans need to avoid. Sure, give him incentives that would let him get up to a decent salary but do it on top of a very small signing bonus (so he can be cut without too much dead money) and make him compete for the spot. The problem with your low-ball take is it is typically slanted negative to the Texans and overlooks the biggest piece of the equation--the actual player. It is all fine and dandy to say they should look for upgrade LT's, but you don't just haul off and sign a huge risk player to a big contract so you can prove you spent money on a need.
Old 05-31-2005   #52
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I think there are some boooooored Texan Fans out there.
Yeppers. But some solid info on this debate would be great.....
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #53
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I think there are some boooooored Texan Fans out there.
The AJ nickname thread is proof. Thank the Lord for NFL Europe.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #54
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55805 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Facts are easy to prove. Prove it. Otherwise it is writer speculation or musings - making logical assumptions. Show me where Charley Casserly has disclosed an offer. I haven't seen anything that says we offered him a minimum contract yet. If you can prove it, great. Then it will be a fact. Frankly it probably is a fact soon (they will likely offer him a contract soon) because he is a bust 1st rounder who just got cut. Probably incentive laden.
I think calling him a bust is a bit harsh. He may not have lived up to his draft position, but that doesn't neccessarily equate to bust. Afterall, he started something like 68 out of 70 games at LT. Most busts don't do that, and then get rewarded with a large 5 yr contract extension. He was coming off a couple of injuries last year, and showed up out of shape, landing him squarely in Green's doghouse. He used him as an example, because he is trying to instill a different paradigm and mindest on a sad sack team. I'll be the first to admit he isn't likely to be the second coming of Anthony Munoz, but I feel the guy is at least a legit starting LT. And, that is an upgrade from what we have had in the past. As discussed, I would feel better about it if he is signed with a low cap figure, and a heavily incentized contract.
Old 05-31-2005   #55
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
I think calling him a bust is a bit harsh. He may not have lived up to his draft position, but that doesn't neccessarily equate to bust. Afterall, he started something like 68 out of 70 games at LT. Most busts don't do that, and then get rewarded with a large 5 yr contract extension. He was coming off a couple of injuries last year, and showed up out of shape, landing him squarely in Green's doghouse. He used him as an example, because he is trying to instill a different paradigm and mindest on a sad sack team. I'll be the first to admit he isn't likely to be the second coming of Anthony Munoz, but I feel the guy is at least a legit starting LT. And, that is an upgrade from what we have had in the past. As discussed, I would feel better about it if he is signed with a low cap figure, and a heavily incentized contract.
You pretty much summed up my view.
Old 05-31-2005   #56
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
As I have stated I read it somewhere, but I can't recall where right now. However, for further verification of what might have happened go to the Justice and McClain report on the Offensive Line. Listen to what John McClain says at the beginning. I was following a post from someone else and wound up at a site with comments on L J Shelton. I was going to mark it and didn't, but that's the way it goes. When I say comments it was an article. Again I wished I would have flagged it....................
Old 05-31-2005   #57
Vinny
shiny happy fan

He's in Houston right now from what 790am is reporting so they are apparently close.

Old 05-31-2005   #58
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep us workin' folk updated if you can Vinny, it would be much appreciated!
Old 05-31-2005   #59
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's in Houston right now from what 790am is reporting so they are apparently close.

Thanks for the update Vinny!!! Hopefully the Texans can close the deal and get this O-Line shored up!!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005   #60
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't he leave H-Town a couple of days ago? If he is back, THAT is a very good sign. I for one didn't think we would be able to get him. Just had a feeling he was stringing us along. So, if we do manage to land him, ya'll can ignore my feelings from here on out. Keep the up dates coming and your fingers and toes crossed.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read