Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2012   #21
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
With a greater team comes greater expectations...but yes, I agree with you. We can probably enjoy our season opening win before we start picking apart our deficiencies (sp.) but on the other hand...who the hell wants to read a bunch of sunshine posts?
Me. I do. It would be a nice change of pace from the normal.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #22
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lets not forget that our defense only gave up 3 points.

3 points.

3 points.

Didnt hear anyone talk about that much today so I thought Id mention it a couple of times.

When your defense only gives up 3 points in a game, what can you really be mad about?
Personally I love getting 3 and outs on Defense. We were really good about this last year and I want to see us continue that. That would be my only complaint.

On the bright side though I have seen one "Kareem Jackson sucks!" Post yet. Progress after all.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #23
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense was a mixed bag yesterday. I saw some things that I didn't like, or rather, I didn't see some things that I wanted to see. They certainly didn't "dominate" from a statistical standpoint but I as I was watching the game again I counted 14 hurries, 4 knockdowns and 3 sacks. In 36 dropbacks that is getting pressure on the QB 24 times. The first quarter was pretty bad but after that the defense did what you want. If there was a concern it was the run defense but even that might be a little missleading. That all came on the first two drives (42 yards). After that they did nothing offensively at all Throw in that they only converted 2 (out of 10) 3rd downs.

Once they got it together there were two plays (11 and 13 yards) but he was contained for the majority of the game. In that situation though you are just trying to avoid giving up the long play. I'm ok with them. Tidy up a little bit though and this is still a dangerous defense.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Look for Mercilus to begin making his mark in the back half/quarter of the season and into the playoffs. Takes time to grow into your big-boy pants.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Something I liked were his shows of enthusiasm when the D made plays.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #26
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lets not forget that our defense only gave up 3 points.

3 points.

3 points.

Didnt hear anyone talk about that much today so I thought Id mention it a couple of times.

When your defense only gives up 3 points in a game, what can you really be mad about?
Exactly. I look at results, because in the end, the W or L is all that really matters. But, it's good to look at the details on how we got there, and only giving up a FG for four quarters is never a bad thing.
Old 09-10-2012   #27
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Personally I love getting 3 and outs on Defense. We were really good about this last year and I want to see us continue that. That would be my only complaint.

On the bright side though I have seen one "Kareem Jackson sucks!" Post yet. Progress after all.
I thought Kareem Jackson looked really good yesterday.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2012   #28
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I thought Kareem Jackson looked really good yesterday.
He was solid..... I meant to say "I haven't seen one", but I'm sure everyone knew what I meant. I think they only completed 9 passes to receivers so I would say it was an effective day for our Corners. On 610 they set his over/under for interceptions at 1.5 so he's well on his way to covering that even if he needed an assist to get it.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #29
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this because I had a few beers in me at the game, but my impression watching it live was that Wade was calling a fairly vanilla game. I remember thinking that he wasn't showing all of his cards because he didn't need to in order to win the game.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #30
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this because I had a few beers in me at the game, but my impression watching it live was that Wade was calling a fairly vanilla game. I remember thinking that he wasn't showing all of his cards because he didn't need to in order to win the game.
I felt the same way. Almost like he knew they could beat a rookie QB with a simple plan, so no point in giving game film to future opponents.

The second half was a really soft coverage once we were up 21 points, and very vanilla from where we were sitting (Madden view!).
Old 09-11-2012   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I haven't gone back and looked at the game again but I felt that way, too. Sure, we ran some blitzes and brought some pressures but it wasn't too different from what we were seeing in the pre-season.

He definitely didn't pull out all the stops.

Hopefully he can save some stuff up for Peyton so Peyton doesn't have our entire defense on tape to study.
Old 09-11-2012   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

I wasn't really paying attention, I guess, and haven't gone back to watch in more detail... but... Mercilus got more playing time than I thought.

He was on the field during Cush's interception. I only realized that because I was watching the highlights on ESPN and saw Mercilus coming into the screen when Cush hit the ground.
Old 09-11-2012   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

He was out there quite a bit...

Before each play I have this habit of doing a quick scan to see where everyone is lined up and who is on the field.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #34
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Exactly. I look at results, because in the end, the W or L is all that really matters. But, it's good to look at the details on how we got there, and only giving up a FG for four quarters is never a bad thing.
Especially when you consider how The Dolphins were winning the field position battle for much of the first half.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
The defense was a mixed bag yesterday. I saw some things that I didn't like, or rather, I didn't see some things that I wanted to see. They certainly didn't "dominate" from a statistical standpoint but I as I was watching the game again I counted 14 hurries, 4 knockdowns and 3 sacks. In 36 dropbacks that is getting pressure on the QB 24 times. The first quarter was pretty bad but after that the defense did what you want. If there was a concern it was the run defense but even that might be a little missleading. That all came on the first two drives (42 yards). After that they did nothing offensively at all Throw in that they only converted 2 (out of 10) 3rd downs.

Once they got it together there were two plays (11 and 13 yards) but he was contained for the majority of the game. In that situation though you are just trying to avoid giving up the long play. I'm ok with them. Tidy up a little bit though and this is still a dangerous defense.

Mike
Actually, I counted 27 pressures.
After the network displayed 2 sacks, 12 Hurries, 5 Knock-downs (QB Hits) and 3 Batted Balls, I counted 5 more situations:

1. The Texans hurried Tannerhill into a quick dump-off.
2. Another QB hurry resulted in an incompletion to the TE Fasano
3. A batted ball by Jamison
4. A safety blitz forced another hurried throw (and incompletion)
5. A sack by Jamison

And don't forget that we stopped Bush twice for a negative 2 yards each, but decided to accept holding penalties.

The Dolphins were also 0-3 on 4th down conversions.
The first quarter fumble by Tannerhill on 3rd and 6 was due on a 6-man blitz (5+Quin); Tannerhill was in a hurry to get the ball so he can get it off quickly to avoid the blitz.

A run blitz allowed Cushing to force a fumble on 3rd and 2.
The Phins were lucky to recover the ball and kicked the FG.

In the second quarter, Watt penetrated into the backfield while A. Smith shut down the other side. This allowed Quin to come in to knock the ball loose from the runner (Manning recovered).

The defense gave us good field positions to score 3 quick first half TDs.
And they didn't allow the Phins to do much in the second half.

I thought that was an outstanding performance.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I felt the same way. Almost like he knew they could beat a rookie QB with a simple plan, so no point in giving game film to future opponents.

The second half was a really soft coverage once we were up 21 points, and very vanilla from where we were sitting (Madden view!).
Yeah but the Jags and Broncos can easily look at 18 games worth of film on Wade's defense from last year.

How much would Wade deviate from what he did last year? Then again, IIRC he did state that he only installed about 75% of the defensive playbook due to the lockout shortened season last year...so we'll see.
Old 09-11-2012   #37
Cutblock
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Cutblock is a quality contributor and well respectedCutblock is a quality contributor and well respectedCutblock is a quality contributor and well respectedCutblock is a quality contributor and well respectedCutblock is a quality contributor and well respectedCutblock is a quality contributor and well respectedCutblock is a quality contributor and well respectedCutblock is a quality contributor and well respectedCutblock is a quality contributor and well respectedCutblock is a quality contributor and well respectedCutblock is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
He was out there quite a bit...

Before each play I have this habit of doing a quick scan to see where everyone is lined up and who is on the field.
Nice habit. Too bad David Carr never learned to do that.
Cutblock is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read