Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2012   #1
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Whitney Mercilus??

Our rookie did not record a tackle or a single recordable stat today.

I dont ever remember seeing him touch the field now that I think about it...am I missing it, did anybody see him touch the field?
Old 09-09-2012   #2
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus??

I saw him when the fins were in the redzone in the 4th quarter. Didn't look too great though.
Old 09-09-2012   #3
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw him on special teams.
Old 09-09-2012   #4
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks Reed was also non existant. What's your point?
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #5
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

All the OLB did a poor job applying pressure.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116441 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Lots of Mario Williams out there today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #7
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
That probably had something to do with his injury. The OLB weren't bad, but they didn't play like their usual self today. Hopefully, they'll get better as a unit.
Old 09-09-2012   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116441 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

It depends on what they were suppose to do and what their responsibilities were. If it was to apply pressure then yeah they totally failed. If it was to seal the ends and cover then we really can't complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Merci was out there quite a bit in passing situations.

Honestly, Tannehill did a good getting the ball out. I didn't watch a lot of him in college, and really, I thought he was a good looking player.

But when he did hold the ball for a split second too long we had people on his ass.

It's not like dude was sitting back there surveying the field and patting the ball and we just couldn't get to him. He did a good job stepping up and getting the ball out on time.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #10
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Easy cowboy...Im not broadcasting some underlying point here, just an honest question if he played a single snap.

I didnt see him but on the flip side I really wasnt looking for him. I checked the stat sheet and noticed he didnt record any stats so the question begged if he actually saw any game time.

simmer down...
Old 09-09-2012   #11
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Lots of Mario Williams out there today?
Nobody's making THAT much money...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, Mario Williams, had one tackle in his Buffalo Bills debut

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #13
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone but Watt had trouble getting penetration today. But at the same time, Mercilus didn't really impress me during preseason. As it currently stands, he still can be a solid rotational guy for us, but not the Defensive Rookie of the Year that one article posted on here predicted.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #14
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

The OLBs as a whole didn't do much, but Jake Long normally shuts everyone down so now surprise on his side. But you would think we'd be able to get pressure on the right side. How far have we come as a franchise by the way? You would think we lost today by reading the message board and not have won by 20 points.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #15
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
The OLBs as a whole didn't do much, but Jake Long normally shuts everyone down so now surprise on his side. But you would think we'd be able to get pressure on the right side. How far have we come as a franchise by the way? You would think we lost today by reading the message board and not have won by 20 points.
With a greater team comes greater expectations...but yes, I agree with you. We can probably enjoy our season opening win before we start picking apart our deficiencies (sp.) but on the other hand...who the hell wants to read a bunch of sunshine posts?
Old 09-09-2012   #16
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
With a greater team comes greater expectations...but yes, I agree with you. We can probably enjoy our season opening win before we start picking apart our deficiencies (sp.) but on the other hand...who the hell wants to read a bunch of sunshine posts?
Agreed..... I also think this board has some of the most knowledgeable posters around. I was kind of blah about the win too so I'm not one to talk. Like Ellis said in a previous thread, we can play a lot better. You could tell Miami was focused on getting the ball out early too. Its what a Sherman offense does. Merci, Barwin, and Reed will get plenty more opportunities this year to make plays.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #17
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Whitney Mercilus deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being patient. I sort of compare him to Brooks Reed in terms of where I expect him to be from now until the end of the season. Keep in mind that Reed didn't do much after the first game last season. And like Mercilus, he wasn't starting at that point in time.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...97/brooks-reed

I mean, just look at where Reed was last season after one game. I guess the point I'm making is there's no need to panic. Mercilus is a hell of a player just like Reed. I trust Wade Phillips when it comes to evaluating pass rushers off the edge.
Old 09-09-2012   #18
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Whitney Mercilus deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being patient. I sort of compare him to Brooks Reed in terms of where I expect him to be from now until the end of the season. Keep in mind that Reed didn't do much after the first game last season. And like Mercilus, he wasn't starting at that point in time.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...97/brooks-reed

I mean, just look at where Reed was last season after one game. I guess the point I'm making is there's no need to panic. Mercilus is a hell of a player just like Reed. I trust Wade Phillips when it comes to evaluating pass rushers off the edge.
No panic here...at all...

We are finally at a point in our teams maturation where we dont HAVE to have our draftees play AND contribute right away. We can finally develop these guys into well rounded football players which I think is the case here with Mercilus. I think the kid is going to be a great addition in Wade's defense and the longer he can learn techniques off the game day field, the better he will be on the game day field.

No panic or busting on him at all...just didnt see him play today which I thought I would have...guess I would have if I wasnt glued to the laptop watching my (3) fantasy teams kick everyone's ass.
Old 09-09-2012   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure, but I think if we were to really re-analyze the game...we'd see the following:

1. We shut down the pass. How may times did Tannehill and his WRs or TEs really put an ass whipping on our secondary? Maybe the pass to Fasano and the pass to Hartline is all I can recall, otherwise there was no pass game for the Dolphins.

2. If number 1 is true, then this means the Dolphins were possibly max protecting the QB a lot. Keeping a RB in there most of the time, maybe even a TE too. Dolphins putting a premium on keeping Tannehill upright.

3. I have to wonder if the run game was not as planned for by our D as it should have been. As if maybe we were thinking their run game was not as good as it turned out to be today. I just never recall us having that much trouble last season. Something, for some reason, was out of whack today.

The Dolphins were not the old Dolphins. They had discipline, they had confidence. They were a game opponent today. We found a way to overcome some stale play, seize the key opportunities as those were presented to us, and I'm happy with the results.

Does not mean that next week we'll win. I hope that the whole team stares at itself long and hard in the mirror this week, works out the kinks and figures out how to get that fast twitch reaction and that impulse reaction back that it had last year. Things looked like it was happening in slow motion all the way across the board today. Andre Johnson looked like he was playing fast, and OD too, but everyone else looked like they were running in quicksand.

Everybody was on Holliday's jock because of preseason, and I said "If he would be as good as JJ Moses, I'll take mediocre return skills over flash-in-the-pan TDs any day." JJ Moses was here for two years, handled all kickoffs and punts, and only fumbled twice in those two years. A helluva lot of touches and only two fumbles. Holliday has bobbled a kickoff today and it made us start off at the 5 damn yard line. That's unacceptable.
Old 09-09-2012   #20
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'm not sure, but I think if we were to really re-analyze the game...we'd see the following:

1. We shut down the pass. How may times did Tannehill and his WRs or TEs really put an ass whipping on our secondary? Maybe the pass to Fasano and the pass to Hartline is all I can recall, otherwise there was no pass game for the Dolphins.

2. If number 1 is true, then this means the Dolphins were possibly max protecting the QB a lot. Keeping a RB in there most of the time, maybe even a TE too. Dolphins putting a premium on keeping Tannehill upright.

3. I have to wonder if the run game was not as planned for by our D as it should have been. As if maybe we were thinking their run game was not as good as it turned out to be today. I just never recall us having that much trouble last season. Something, for some reason, was out of whack today.

The Dolphins were not the old Dolphins. They had discipline, they had confidence. They were a game opponent today. We found a way to overcome some stale play, seize the key opportunities as those were presented to us, and I'm happy with the results.

Does not mean that next week we'll win. I hope that the whole team stares at itself long and hard in the mirror this week, works out the kinks and figures out how to get that fast twitch reaction and that impulse reaction back that it had last year. Things looked like it was happening in slow motion all the way across the board today. Andre Johnson looked like he was playing fast, and OD too, but everyone else looked like they were running in quicksand.

Everybody was on Holliday's jock because of preseason, and I said "If he would be as good as JJ Moses, I'll take mediocre return skills over flash-in-the-pan TDs any day." JJ Moses was here for two years, handled all kickoffs and punts, and only fumbled twice in those two years. A helluva lot of touches and only two fumbles. Holliday has bobbled a kickoff today and it made us start off at the 5 damn yard line. That's unacceptable.
Lets not forget that our defense only gave up 3 points.

3 points.

3 points.

Didnt hear anyone talk about that much today so I thought Id mention it a couple of times.

When your defense only gives up 3 points in a game, what can you really be mad about?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read