Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2012   #101
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub Signs Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
That's what I'm saying. We won't pay his salary, but we'll take a hit for three years of remaining prorated bonus... $4.3 (2014) + $4.3 (2015) + $4.3 (2016) = $12.9M

If he plays, his salary plus $4.3 = $14.something Million
His prorated bonus is $3.5 Million/year ($17.5 Million/5 years) starting in 2012.
Old 09-10-2012   #102
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I love it. Dude just signed an extension and folks are figuring when to cut him and how much it will cost.
Old 09-10-2012   #103
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I love it. Dude just signed an extension and folks are figuring when to cut him and how much it will cost.
.... not exactly, just trying to figure out how "good" the contract is, how comitted we are. But at 4 years, looks like we're in for the duration.
Old 09-10-2012   #104
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. We won't pay his salary, but we'll take a hit for three years of remaining prorated bonus... $4.3 (2014) + $4.3 (2015) + $4.3 (2016) = $12.9M

If he plays, his salary plus $4.3 = $14.something Million
Yeah I got it now. We are on same page. I think he can earn his way thru '14. Plus allows time for Smith to look for a QB to groom if Keenum doesn't work. Plus allows 3 years to discover if Yates will be a successor.
Old 09-10-2012   #105
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Proactive thinking rather than reactionary. We can appreciate the worth of a player and still plan for "life after".
Old 09-11-2012   #106
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you think he's going to play out the entire contract?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #107
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
So you think he's going to play out the entire contract?
I expect him to get another extension before it's all said and done. I expect Schaub to be our QB for another 6-7 years.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2012   #108
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Going by salary, Schaub is 7th in average money over the length of the remaining contract. Going by guaranteed money at the time of signing, Matt is 12th. Not too bad considering we all think he's in the 2nd/3rd tier of starting QBs. He's only slightly ahead of guys like Romo, Sanchez, Big Ben and Bradford. I think putting it in this perspective, it looks like a fair deal based on his proven capability. Maybe a little high due to his injury risk, but still a fair amount for a franchise QB.

Drew Brees - 5 years $100,000,000 - Signing Bonus $37,000,000 - Average Salary $20,000,000 - $40 million guaranteed

Peyton Manning - 5 years $96,000,000 - Signing Bonus $0 - Average Salary $19,200,000 - If 2013 physical is passed, $40 million guaranteed

Michael Vick 5 years $80,000,000 - Signing Bonus $7,000,000 Other Bonuses $8,000,000 Average Salary $16,000,000 - $32.5 million guaranteed

Tom Brady 5 years $78,500,000 - Signing Bonus $16,000,000 Other Bonuses $9,100,000 Average Salary $15,700,000 $48.5 million guaranteed

Eli Manning 7 years $106,900,000 - Signing Bonus $13,000,000 Average Salary $15,271,429 - $35 million guaranteed

Philip Rivers 7 years $98,250,000 - Signing Bonus $19,550,000 Average Salary $14,035,714 - $38.5 million guaranteed

Matt Schaub - 5 years $66,150,000 - Signing Bonus $17,500,000 - Other Bonuses $3,000,000 - Average Salary $13,230,000 - $29.15 million guaranteed

Sam Bradford - 6 years $78,000,000 - Signing Bonus 18,000,000 - Average Salary $13,000,000 - $50 million guaranteed

Ben Roethlisberger 8 years $102,000,000 Signing Bonus $25,200,000 - Other Bonuses $lots Average Salary 12,750,000 - $33.2 million guaranteed

Matt Stafford - 6 years $72,000,000 - Signing Bonus $17,400,000 - Average Salary $12,000,000 - $41.75 million guaranteed

Mark Sanchez 5 years $58,250,000 - Signing Bonus $8,000,000 - Other Bonuses $6,500,000 Average Salary $11,650,000 $20.5 million guaranteed

Tony Romo - 6 years $67,400,000 - Signing Bonus $11,500,000 - Average Salary $11,233,333 - $30 million guaranteed

Matt Ryan 6 years 62 million Signing Bonus $7,500,000 Other Bonuses $7,400,000 - Average Salary $11,000,000 34 million guaranteed

Aaron Rodgers - 6 years $65,000,000 - Signing Bonus $0 - Average Salary $10,833,333 - $20 million guaranteed

Carson Palmer - 4 years $43,000,000 - Signing Bonus $0 - Average Salary $10,750,000 - Guaranteed ???

Matt Cassel 6 years $63,000,000 - Signing Bonus $0 Average Salary $10,500,000 $28 million guaranteed

Jay Cutler - 5 years $49,770,000 - Signing Bonus $7,000,000 - Average Salary $9,954,000 - $20 million guaranteed
Old 09-11-2012   #109
badboy
Site Contributor

I'm more thrilled at the structure of the deal. I have to give Rick Smith and Chris Olsen a big thumbs up. There appears to be few options if Schaub not resigned.
Old 09-11-2012   #110
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Going by salary, Schaub is 7th in average money over the length of the remaining contract. Going by guaranteed money at the time of signing, Matt is 12th. Not too bad considering we all think he's in the 2nd/3rd tier of starting QBs. He's only slightly ahead of guys like Romo, Sanchez, Big Ben and Bradford. I think putting it in this perspective, it looks like a fair deal based on his proven capability. Maybe a little high due to his injury risk, but still a fair amount for a franchise QB.
Nice post - thanks for the info.

Sometime before the start of next season, Joe Flacco will sign a contract that will push Matt further down the list of highest paid QB's. Not too long after that, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, and Jay Cutler will likely do the same.
Old 09-12-2012   #111
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Thanks for the listing. Puts the new contract in perspective.

...are you sure P.M. didn't get ANY sort of signing bonus? That seems unusual.

oh and repped btw.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012   #112
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Thanks for the listing. Puts the new contract in perspective.

...are you sure P.M. didn't get ANY sort of signing bonus? That seems unusual.

oh and repped btw.
Yeah, his contract is the outlier. The first year's salary is guaranteed (18 million), then the next 40 million is guaranteed if he passes a physical next offseason. So really, it's up to 58 guaranteed, but it's all salary. The design was to protect the team from injury, but to reward Peyton if he can stay healthy. Considering how rich he already is, I don't think he cared about getting a signing bonus.
Old 09-12-2012   #113
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'm more thrilled at the structure of the deal. I have to give Rick Smith and Chris Olsen a big thumbs up. There appears to be few options if Schaub not resigned.
Can you explain a little more about this, I'm not seeing how the structure benefits the team in the event Matt Can't play it out.
Old 09-12-2012   #114
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Can you explain a little more about this, I'm not seeing how the structure benefits the team in the event Matt Can't play it out.
Sure, as reported the contract guarantees Matt $29 million. Probably helps to ignore the total deal of $66m for now. He gets bonus upfront $17.5m that is in his pocket now and part of that guarantee. 2012 base salary $4.4 (which is lower than the $7m he was scheduled to get) gives him $17.5 + 4.4 = $21.9m by end of this season + 2013 $7.25m = $29million guaranteed. The next three '14, '15 & '16 not guaranteed. If Smith decides to cut him, no salary owed for any of those years. The $17.5 bonus as explained in earlier posts is divided by the 5 year length of new deal including '12= $3.5m per year for team cap purposes. If cut after 2014, he gets no $ and the remaining years of bonus & for cap purposes it all applies to the next season in full. If he gets cut before game one 2014 for example or three seasons early, $3.5 times 3 remaining years or 10.5m goes against 2014 cap rather than his 2014 salary of $10m + $3.5 bonus = $13.5m cap. About $3m savings to cap but huge savings on salaries.
Old 09-13-2012   #115
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I expect him to get another extension before it's all said and done. I expect Schaub to be our QB for another 6-7 years.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #116
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

As with all these nfl contracts, its the g-money. 24m is solid for schaub and texans especially when brees got 60m g money. Its probably a deal the texans can get out of in 3 yrs if we include this season. Good deal on both fronts.
Old 09-30-2013   #117
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3090 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last September, the Texans opted after only one game to give Matt Schaub a long-term contract. He pocketed $22 million in 2012, and the question after the season will become whether the Texans want to throw good money after a suddenly bad player.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, the cap hit becomes somewhat manageable after the 2013 season. If the Texans designate Schaub as a post-June 1 cut, the cap charge in 2014 would be $3.5 million. In 2015, $7 million in dead money would apply.

The Texans also would avoid paying Schaub $10 million next season by cutting him, along with another $1 million in total per-game roster bonuses.

While it’s debatable whether T.J. Yates or Case Keenum would be as good as Schaub, either guy would be a better choice on a dollar-for-dollar basis. They each will make less than 10 percent next year of Schaub’s scheduled pay in 2014.

One of them could be in line for a raise, as soon as next season.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-the-season/

Quote:
The Texans have been criticized a lot recently for the four-year extension they gave Schaub last year on the eve of the 2012 season opener that totaled $69.7 million. Here's what I found while examining his contract:

The deal averages $15.5 million per year, with a $17.5 million signing bonus. It guarantees Schaub's base salary of $7.25 million this year. Between the signing bonus, this year's base, last year's base and a few workout bonuses, the Texans will have paid Schaub about $29.7 million of that contract by the end of this season.

If they decide Schaub isn't part of their future, they don't have to pay him one cent more. Schaub's 2014, 2015 and 2016 bases aren't guaranteed and in each of those seasons he has a roster bonus that pays him $1 million total if he's active for 16 games. That's $40 million the Texans would not be on the hook for if they didn't want to be.

Whether they will or not will depend on how Schaub plays the rest of this season. As I've been writing, I don't see his performances so far as evidence that the Texans should move on from him.
From J.R on clutchfans

Last edited by PockyAF; 09-30-2013 at 07:39 PM.
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #118
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

In Week 1, The Houston Texans destroyed the Miami Dolphins in one of the most defensive-dominated games in the young team's history..

"Hey Matt, we know you just had major foot surgery and this was only the first week.. Ah heck, here's a 60 million dollar deal."

And I actually fooled myself into thinking maybe this was a good idea when the news broke. NOPE.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #119
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

The extension was done before the game. They just announced it after the game was over.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #120
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I just read the thread title and almost had a heart attack! Thank the invisible man in the sky that this is an old thread!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read