Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2012   #61
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub Signs Extension

Quote:
Texans general manager Rick Smith announced after Sunday's 30-10 victory over the Miami Dolphins that the team had signed Schaub to a contract extension. NFL.com and NFL Network's Steve Wyche obtained the numbers from a source: It's a four-year contract with nearly $30 million guaranteed and a maximum value of $62 million.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...sion-after-win
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #62
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm good with this. If Barwin doesn't look like he's gonna produce, save the $$ on an extension and lets see what Whiney can do. Barwin looked average, at best, today.
Old 09-09-2012   #63
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a great bargain for the team. Franchise quarterbacks are a rarity and must be protected from hitting the FA market. While there's a debate about where Schaub ranks among his peers at the position, in my opinion there's ample statistical evidence that he's an elite quarterback who deserves to get paid as such. Locking him up now was a very wise move because this team is primed to make a deep run, and every future success this season will only bump his price tag higher. Let's assume the Texans win the AFC or the SB and Schaub hits FA next season....what would the market price for his services be then?
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #64
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm good with this. If Barwin doesn't look like he's gonna produce, save the $$ on an extension and lets see what Whiney can do. Barwin looked average, at best, today.
I'm very worried that he bulked up too much and lost some of his speed & athleticism.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt got about what I thought he would but I expected it to be with another team. If there is no upfront bonus to average out and the last year is back loaded and non guaranteed (which it probaby is) this could be a very good deal for team. I have very mixed feelings about Matt but he looked good today. His passes seem to be more linear or "on a string than before.

When I reworked my 2013 mock yesterday, I exchanged QB for OLB but did not know why. I just had the feeling last night that Matt would re-sign but had absolutly nothing to base that on but gut. I went to bed about 12:30 and tossed and turned until after 2:30 trying to argue against that feeling. I had posted on a cap thread in reply to someone saying we had about $24 M IIRC before Brown's deal, we should be able to sign Schaub & Conner. Well one down, one of those two left.

Edit here post I refer to from Section516 :

Even with those pending free agents, Clayton’s salary-cap list for 2013 is filled with good news for the AFC South.

The Texans will have $24.8 million.
Old 09-09-2012   #66
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

now its either yates or within the next 2 years we need to sign or Draft our QB of the future

most likey draft what are some good College QB'S in the next 2 years ???
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #67
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
now its either yates or within the next 2 years we need to sign or Draft our QB of the future

most likey draft what are some good College QB'S in the next 2 years ???
I can see us trading up in 2013 or 2014 to get our future QB. I saw KJ being more in position in this game (although I missed first one and one half quarters.

I like Zac Dysert who has moved up in polls after his '12 performance.
Old 09-09-2012   #68
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Any1 know how much Jamison got extended for?
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #69
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Never mind found it.

Tim Jamison Defensive Lineman 9/9/2012: Signed a three-year contract. 2012: $615,000, 2013-2014: Under Contract, 2015: Free Agent
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #70
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Just a gut feeling, you know? Schaub is a good QB. Arguably top 10, and I am very happy that he is on the Texans. However, I dont know if we can win a Super Bowl with him. When the pocket breaks down, the Schaub has, historically, been and trouble. And it sounds like (I could not watch the game) he has gotten even worse in this regard. This is something that will never get better.

I am not advocating a running QB- I dont want a Vick or Young. I do want a guy, who when stuff goes down, can make plays with his feet, even if it is just buying time. Look at the last couple QBs to win a Super Bowl- Eli Manning (not a run threat, but moves well), Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, Brady. Peyton is the only real exception here, and even that is questionable since his release was so quick.

Like I said, Schaub is a good QB. In particular, he has probably the best play action fake in the NFL. I just dont think he can get it done without pristine protection.
Don't worry with only 24.75 mil. guaranteed I think it's highly doubtful Schaub is here all 4 of those years. All the guaranteed money will be paid out after only 2 yrs.. As long as Schaub stays healthy I like this contract, and the signing of Jamison. Excellent work by Rick Smith. That's 2 less needs in the 2013 draft.

I hope they can extend Barwin as well but he may not work out in the numbers crunch, and with Mercilus waiting to play Barwin may just be odd man out at the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I think the move sets us up to franchise Barwin if he doesn't sign before FA. The tag on an OLB isn't too bad from a team perspective. I'm sure Connor is going to have to factor that in when they start negotiating again.
Old 09-10-2012   #72
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

However cap friendly structured the terms, Schaub still agreed to a contract that makes him among the highest paid QB's in NFL @ 15.5 mil avg. per/yr.

My question is how where the Texans able to fit this contract under the cap since reportedly they were 700k over prior to this signing, plus Jamison too?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #73
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
However cap friendly structured the terms, Schaub still agreed to a contract that makes him among the highest paid QB's in NFL @ 15.5 mil avg. per/yr.

My question is how where the Texans able to fit this contract under the cap since reportedly they were 700k over prior to this signing, plus Jamison too?
It's the same thing as the Duane Brown re-signing, the contracts will take effect in the 2013 season and beyond, so no impact to this year unless they wanted it to. That's not to say they couldn't have modified his 2012 salary and restructured that in the process, but if anything that caphit would go down. Any signing bonuses can be paid now, but that will only effect the cap based on how they decided to structure the deal.
Old 09-10-2012   #74
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I get the feeling there's more to this new cap structure than we as fans know about?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #75
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
Never mind found it.

Tim Jamison Defensive Lineman 9/9/2012: Signed a three-year contract. 2012: $615,000, 2013-2014: Under Contract, 2015: Free Agent
I thought the annual Vet-Min was > 615 K ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #76
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was also going against one of the top tackles in the league
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #77
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I can't explain it, but schaubs throws actually look better.

His throws aren't as airy as they used to be. I dint feel like I'm watching the ball travel in slow motion to it's target.
I mentioned that in the preseason. Matt has looked sharper since his return to me. I hope he can keep it up.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #78
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I thought the annual Vet-Min was > 615 K ?
This year, 615k is the minimum for a 3 year vet. Next year, a 4-6 year vet minimum will be 715k.
Old 09-10-2012   #79
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I get the feeling there's more to this new cap structure than we as fans know about?
That's what I'm saying.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #80
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
I think Barwin is gonna wish he took the Texans offer. He has looked very average after putting on weight...
When did this happen. I can't believe I missed that the Texans even made an offer, let alone Barwin refusing it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read