Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2012   #141
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Although we won.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Kubiak talked about it on the radio and said he was disturbed that they had first and goal at the 1 and couldn't punch it in.
He needs to be disturbed. He should consider his job on the line at all times from here on out.

LOL, the people I was watching the game with joked saying they were chanting, "KUUUUUBES"
Old 09-10-2012   #142
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak talked about it on the radio and said he was disturbed that they had first and goal at the 1 and couldn't punch it in.

Certainly nothing new to this team though it has been somewhat of a problem the last couple of years
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #143
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Certainly nothing new to this team though it has been somewhat of a problem the last couple of years
I think the players know it is what it is. You perform well and Reliant is one of the best places in the league for you to call home. Perform below expectations, and you will pay for it.

Texas, moreover, Houston is a conservative place, we don't accept mediocrity so easily like liberals do.
Old 09-10-2012   #144
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
I think the players know it is what it is. You perform well and Reliant is one of the best places in the league for you to call home. Perform below expectations, and you will pay for it.

Texas, moreover, Houston is a conservative place, we don't accept mediocrity so easily like liberals do.

Im not sure how any of your political talk fits into the fact that the texans have had a tough time from 1st and goal from the 1 yard line for the last couple of years.
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #145
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

As a fan, you want complete and total domination from beginning to end. You want your offense to march down the field and score nothing but touchdowns and you want your defense to force nothing but 3 and outs or turnovers.

But even in a lot of routs and blow-outs, that's not the way it usually happens. Even dominant defenses give up some yardage and some points. Even potent offenses don't score all the time.

We beat a team by 20 points. We didn't surrender 80 yards on the ground. We forced turnovers. We didn't surrender a single defensive TD and only 3 defensive points. We won the time of possession battle and the turnover battle. Our QB was efficient.

We've got things that we can improve on offense and defense but lets take a little time to savor this victory. The team can't take that time to feel good about itself. The team needs to see all those flaws that a better team might have been able to take advantage of and address them. But we fans need to enjoy the ride a bit more, I think.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #146
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Im not sure how any of your political talk fits into the fact that the texans have had a tough time from 1st and goal from the 1 yard line for the last couple of years.
LOL, talking politics on another board, so it seemed like a relavent comparison at the time...
Old 09-10-2012   #147
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
As a fan, you want complete and total domination from beginning to end. You want your offense to march down the field and score nothing but touchdowns and you want your defense to force nothing but 3 and outs or turnovers.

But even in a lot of routs and blow-outs, that's not the way it usually happens. Even dominant defenses give up some yardage and some points. Even potent offenses don't score all the time.

We beat a team by 20 points. We didn't surrender 80 yards on the ground. We forced turnovers. We didn't surrender a single defensive TD and only 3 defensive points. We won the time of possession battle and the turnover battle. Our QB was efficient.

We've got things that we can improve on offense and defense but lets take a little time to savor this victory. The team can't take that time to feel good about itself. The team needs to see all those flaws that a better team might have been able to take advantage of and address them. But we fans need to enjoy the ride a bit more, I think.
It was a W, and one that we got a hold of before it was too late. Are there some mistakes that need some attention? Absolutely, but every team has concerns that they pay attention to. It's knowing this that shows that we have grown as a team and an organization. Savor the victory, but also realize how easily it could have gone the other way...any. given. Sunday. Good teams continue to work and improve, and I think that's where we are at. Kubiak's pressers are even starting to sound a little different. I just wish he wasn't as conservative on Offense....can we put up 40 before we start pumping the breaks? I'm just saying
Old 09-10-2012   #148
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
We are not going to dominate every aspect of every game. I do think we are going to have to throw the ball a little more this year after losing the rt side of the line.
Our roster against theirs? Yeah we should pretty much dominate all aspects of the game. Sure there will be plays where their OT defeats Barwin but the first half reminds me of 2010 games as in not starting the O until after halftime.

Not saying you utah but some posters are focusing on the score rather than the players. That is a mistake and you can bet Kubes and McNair are not fooled.
Old 09-10-2012   #149
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Like those mediocre Patriots fans? Texans have been the definition of mediocrity until last season
Old 09-10-2012   #150
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Like those mediocre Patriots fans? Texans have been the definition of mediocrity until last season
I don't know many real Patriots fans, outside of the girls who get a Tom Brady jersey because, "he's cute"
Old 09-10-2012   #151
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Three sacks for the game. Our pressure on Tannehill seemed somewhat sporadic. Thoughts?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #152
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Three sacks for the game. Our pressure on Tannehill seemed somewhat sporadic. Thoughts?
Without having seen the first quarter + part of second, I think it was combination of Dolphins coming in focused and battling like an under rated boxer that knows he's got only so much in the tank and tries to knockout the champ + Texans first game nerves + Texans as the boxing champ who cannot figure out why the underrated guy will not stop dancing so he can be hit.

I do expect a more "workman" like approach next game.
Old 09-10-2012   #153
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Quote:
Dare I say we are underestimating some aspects of Miami's game? Are we possibly also, under scrutinizing the pressure of the batted passes and hurries? I think the defense was pretty good all game. They allowed 3 points. Not sure how that would be a complaint. I'm more concerned with the other side of the ball, even thought they seemed to get it going for about 6 minutes until we went into Kubiak snail mode. I'm wondering if that doesn't kill momentum going into the next game. Football players love to step on the throat of their opponent when they have them down, and it seems like GK never lets that happen.
Old 09-10-2012   #154
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dare I say we are underestimating some aspects of Miami's game? Are we possibly also, under scrutinizing the pressure of the batted passes and hurries? I think the defense was pretty good all game. They allowed 3 points. Not sure how that would be a complaint. I'm more concerned with the other side of the ball, even thought they seemed to get it going for about 6 minutes until we went into Kubiak snail mode. I'm wondering if that doesn't kill momentum going into the next game. Football players love to step on the throat of their opponent when they have them down, and it seems like GK never lets that happen.
you can call it snail mode or you can just say that being conservative and not taking chances in a game where your defense has not given up a TD is just good coaching.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #155
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Only 2 teams got more sacks than we did. Only 1 team held their opponent to a lower QB rating than we did. Only 2 teams got more interceptions than we did.

I'd say we did OK.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #156
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
My concerns center on Cushing being the only dominant player inside, so he isn't going to be the player he was last year since teams can spend more time on him instead of both inside backers and the fact that we seem to have two strong side linebackers in Barwin and Reed and no real true weakside guy till Whitney Mercilus is ready to play full time. Perhaps not as much 'concerns' than nitpicks.
I'd love for Merci to win that WOLB job. Put Connor back on the Strongside, get rid of Bradie James & stick Reed at Mo & Cushing back to Mike.
Old 09-10-2012   #157
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Part of being a playmaker is being able to capitalize when your opponent makes mistakes or is slightly off in what they're doing.
I don't disagree & this has nothing to do with your post...

But part of being a veteran team is capitalizing on your opponents mistakes & working through your own.

This Texans team, so far, looks like a veteran football team. We capitalized on the Dolphins mistakes & minimized our own. Wasn't too long ago that things like the Special Teams gaffs, or the run defense woes, or even the amount of missed tackles would have ate our lunch & handed a game like yesterdays to the other team.

Like the couple of passes allowed over McCain. He could have wiffed completely & those gone for long plays, but he recovered kept fighting & made a play. Two tipped balls, our guys "just happened" to be in the right place for the INT. Glover Quin (my favorite Texans) popping DT & getting that ball back.... Antonio Smith not turning some tomfollery into a personal foul.

Yeah, there were some serious issues that surfaced yesterday, but man....... I'm loving this team.
Old 09-10-2012   #158
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Interesting I haven't seen anyone mention the booing. There were some fans whining about it on the Texans FB page, but I thought it fired them up. Texans fans normally being rabidly supportive, boo'd the team when it stalled and settled for 3 and they are getting tired of it. The booing was followed by 21 points off of 3 consecutive turnovers...I'd say it was effective.
I didn't think they were booing the team. Felt more like they were booing the decision not to punch it in.... Kubiak. Until he brings us a Lombardi he's going to get more boos.

They (we... I wasn't part of the booing) loved him a little later on when he challenged the LeStar TD.
Old 09-10-2012   #159
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I didn't think they were booing the team. Felt more like they were booing the decision not to punch it in.... Kubiak. Until he brings us a Lombardi he's going to get more boos.

They (we... I wasn't part of the booing) loved him a little later on when he challenged the LeStar TD.
I think the fans were booing the fact that we didn't take a shot at the end zone. I admit that I wanted them to take a shot since they were playing Andre single cover so much. In the larger picture fans boo when the home team don't go for it on every 4th down too though - so I wouldn't read too much into the booing.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #160
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I just wish he wasn't as conservative on Offense....can we put up 40 before we start pumping the breaks? I'm just saying
I don't think Kubiak is conservative. It's usually mistakes & penalties that has Kubiak pumping the brakes, not small leads. When it rains it pours & I think Kubiak has seen that. Remember the Dallas game in Dallas. That's the one that I'm always reminded of. Defensively, offensively, we held our own. Then we had a Special Teams gaff, turned the ball over, leading to a quick score. Then it was two more turnovers back to back & the game got out of hand.

Just like it did for the Dolphins yesterday.

Someone said earlier, that Philbin should have pulled back the reigns after the score got to 17-3. I think that was already too late. Those guys are thinking too much by that time, "The game's on me, I gotta make a play." Then BAMMMM!!! Glover Quin smacks you in the mouF

Ω

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read