Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2012   #121
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Although we won.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
You missed the point entirely. Doesn't matter if we forced the turnovers. Everyone isn't going to have a rookie QB that is so easily "forced" into turnovers.
I got your point. I just disagree with your perspective. I'm not into making excuses for my team winning.
Old 09-10-2012   #122
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Before anyone starts getting sized for Superbowl rings, it was ONLY the first game of the season. There are 17 more. It was against a new coach and a rookie QB. Let's watch them play a few more games before we get excited.
While I agree on the whole I still think we can be excited about winning our home opener. I haven't seen anybody saying we're going to the big game because we made a guy who had concerns about balls being sWATTed in college throw a lot sWATTed balls.
Old 09-10-2012   #123
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans have played plenty of games in last 10 years where they looked ok but always found a way to lose. It's just nice to have the normal off game that all teams have and still win, heck win big. I thought we were better than Baltimore in playoffs, turnovers are of course a huge part of the game.
The way this team plays I think the turnover ratio will have a great chance of being one of the highest ever and by no accident. At least if Matt Schaub stays healthy.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #124
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I got your point. I just disagree with your perspective. I'm not into making excuses for my team winning.
There is nothing to disagree with, again proving you have missed the point. This isn't an argument or a debate....well, unless you feel like the Texans played a perfect game.... Saying you disagree with my perspective makes 0 sense. You disagree that there are areas that we can improve in?

This is a thread that was started to discuss where we can improve. If you don't want to discuss that or think we played a perfect game and have no room for improvement, then why come in here?

You believe that because we won our shortcomings shouldn't be discussed. Well then, stop discussing it. It's that easy.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #125
escrimador
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 escrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respected

on the bright side, we're not complaining about red zone woes
escrimador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #126
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm not quite following this pick and choose stat (unless you remove one or two extreme outlier stats). Otherwise, you could very well present

If you remove 25 (of 26) of Foster's runs, he goes 1 for 14 yds (14 ypc)

If you remove 13 (of 14) of Reggie's runs, he goes 1 for 13 yds (13 ypc)
Actually, Bush was 16 for 65 yards for an average of 4ypc.

We accepted 2 holding penalties on 2 running plays where we had Bush at negative 2 yards each time.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #127
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
FWIW, Antonio Smith after the game:

(on the Texans performance) "First half it seemed like we were getting our feet wet. Trying to get into the flow of a real game and then the game plan cause nobody game plans each other in the preseason and they had a couple of good runs. One good run play actually that they kept running til we has to figure out what they had going, but overall I think we played a real good game."

(on RB Reggie Bush having success running) "They did a thing where they open the splits up between the center and the guard to give Reggie more space to fake like he's going outside but cut it back up inside so by the time we honed in and figure it out. There weren't that many more running yards after that."
When they double-teamed one of our interior guys (Watt looked bad on a couple plays there), the LBs need to get to their gap sooner or not to overplay their gap assignment (both Cushing and James executed poorly several times - Cushing 4 times and James twice by my count.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2012   #128
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Miami defense did finish 5th in rush defense last, and Kubiak did epitomize the word "conservative" in this game.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #129
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Miami defense did finish 5th in rush defense last, and Kubiak did epitomize the word "conservative" in this game.
& we were 4th, Reggie Bush still ran through us like a fish through water.
Old 09-10-2012   #130
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
& we were 4th, Reggie Bush still ran through us like a fish through water.
For about the same average that we gave up last season.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #131
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL. We are aruging more about a win than we normally do a loss.

I suspect thats because of the high expectations we have for this year. It's one thing to HOPE the Texans do well, which we did for the first 10 years, but it's quite another to EXPECT them to do well, which we do this year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #132
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Doesn't matter if we forced the turnovers. Everyone isn't going to have a rookie QB that is so easily "forced" into turnovers.
No we will not get that many turnovers every game. Having said that I think the QB being a rookie was irrelevant. Watt had a track record in college of batting balls down. Unless you are claiming veteran QB's are just not going to throw to Watt's side of the field his being a rookie made no difference.
Old 09-10-2012   #133
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No we will not get that many turnovers every game. Having said that I think the QB being a rookie was irrelevant. Watt had a track record in college of batting balls down. Unless you are claiming veteran QB's are just not going to throw to Watt's side of the field his being a rookie made no difference.
I know watts track record, but there are things a vet qb will do to combat having THAT many batted balls. Matt schaub touched on it this morning on the radio. Pump faking is an option.

And Tim Jamison got a batted ball too.

Are you saying that if watt was on the other team and schaub had that Many passes batted and picked you wouldn't think schaub or the offense couldn't have made any adjustments?

You think any good veteran qb would have had all those balls batted at the line like that?

Even if you think that a vet qb wouldn't have adjusted, you already said you don't think we'll have that situation occur again. Regardless of the reasoning, that was my main point.
Old 09-10-2012   #134
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

My concerns center on Cushing being the only dominant player inside, so he isn't going to be the player he was last year since teams can spend more time on him instead of both inside backers and the fact that we seem to have two strong side linebackers in Barwin and Reed and no real true weakside guy till Whitney Mercilus is ready to play full time. Perhaps not as much 'concerns' than nitpicks.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #135
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yep. Don't really get the purpose of marginalizing the doings of our playmakers.
Old 09-10-2012   #136
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

As I mentioned during the game, Tannehill was consistently throwing at the D's eye and head level. There seemed to be no attempt to arc his balls or throw his passes from a high take off.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #137
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4782 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting I haven't seen anyone mention the booing. There were some fans whining about it on the Texans FB page, but I thought it fired them up. Texans fans normally being rabidly supportive, boo'd the team when it stalled and settled for 3 and they are getting tired of it. The booing was followed by 21 points off of 3 consecutive turnovers...I'd say it was effective.
Old 09-10-2012   #138
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Yep. Don't really get the purpose of marginalizing the doings of our playmakers.
You're reading what you want to read.

Part of being a playmaker is being able to capitalize when your opponent makes mistakes or is slightly off in what they're doing.
Old 09-10-2012   #139
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Interesting I haven't seen anyone mention the booing. There were some fans whining about it on the Texans FB page, but I thought it fired them up. Texans fans normally being rabidly supportive, boo'd the team when it stalled and settled for 3 and they are getting tired of it. The booing was followed by 21 points off of 3 consecutive turnovers...I'd say it was effective.
Correlation is not necessarily causation but they definitely stepped it up after that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #140
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Kubiak talked about it on the radio and said he was disturbed that they had first and goal at the 1 and couldn't punch it in.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read