Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2012   #181
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Although we won.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Only if you need to score.

There was no need at that point. We had two relatively long scoring drives in the second half to eat up time and our D was shutting them out. No need to panic and start doing things that could let them back into the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
not when the game is in hand...you play to WIN the game, not to drive up the stat line.
I understand milking the clock, but if you get a chance to go back & watch the game, we weren't snapping the ball with only one or two seconds on the play clock. We're talking with 6 minutes left in the game, with 4 minutes left in the game.

Heck if he's feeling like the game is in hand at that point, get Arian out of the game, get Schaub out of the game. We need those two for the long haul & Yates needs the snaps. Ben could work on his 5 for 11 performance. LeStar & Keyshawn could have gotten some reps if all we were going to do was decoy Andre Johnson.

He could have tried to run the ball twice, then throw it on third down to pick up a first. Then if they score a touchdown he can go into safe mode & we only win by 14. I'm not an NFL head coach, I understand that, but at those points in the game I'd rather get a first down than give Miami another short field.
Old 09-10-2012   #182
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Yeah, but Kubiak can only be upset with himself. He called almost exclusively running plays the last quarter and a half against a great run defense...what does he expect?? Our passing game was working and you went from a nice mix when we scored to trying to stuff the run down the throat of a good run defense. Sounds like questionable play calling, but what do I know...
You have to look at the scoreboard. Why throw the ball when you don't have to? I guess he could of lit it up in the 4th to make fans happy, other than that I see no reason.
Old 09-10-2012   #183
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I understand milking the clock, but if you get a chance to go back & watch the game, we weren't snapping the ball with only one or two seconds on the play clock. We're talking with 6 minutes left in the game, with 4 minutes left in the game.

Heck if he's feeling like the game is in hand at that point, get Arian out of the game, get Schaub out of the game. We need those two for the long haul & Yates needs the snaps. Ben could work on his 5 for 11 performance. LeStar & Keyshawn could have gotten some reps if all we were going to do was decoy Andre Johnson.

He could have tried to run the ball twice, then throw it on third down to pick up a first.
THIS makes too much sense.
Old 09-10-2012   #184
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
You have to look at the scoreboard. Why throw the ball when you don't have to? I guess he could of lit it up in the 4th to make fans happy, other than that I see no reason.
Shaub's my starting fantasy QB...lol, I'll get over it.
Old 09-11-2012   #185
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

He could have tried to run the ball twice, then throw it on third down to pick up a first. Then if they score a touchdown he can go into safe mode & we only win by 14. I'm not an NFL head coach, I understand that, but at those points in the game I'd rather get a first down than give Miami another short field.
I think Kubiak wants to make sure there are no mistakes so he goes with the guys he trusts the most: Schaub and Foster. I think he trusts his line to be able to open some holes for Foster to pick up first downs in that situation and THIS TIME that didn't work. I think he also trusts his defense not to give up any big plays which forces Miami to take time off the clock while scoring IF they're able to score.

OTOH, he's seen situations where he's gone for "safe" passes and had them returned for touchdowns. (I hate to bring up the OT pass against the Ravens a couple of years ago but there it is.) Handing the ball off to Foster minimizes the chance of a quick score by the Dolphins and that's really his main priority. If the Dolphins can get a quick score, the momentum could shift and then on the ensuing kick-off Trindon fumbles it and they get another quick score and then we're hanging on for dear life.

Last night, the Ravens started to NOT go conservative once they got up and in the process, they almost lost their starting QB. Imagine the uproar in here if Kubiak decides to run-run-pass and on that pass play Schaub goes down for the season. People would have been screaming for his head.

What he did wasn't sexy but it minimized the chance for bad plays. And I'm good with that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read