Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-08-2012   #61
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Texans over salary cap by 700k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
link

I have yet to see any reasonable explanation for this 2011 unused $1.08 million cap space not being carried over to this year..............other than the conclusion I reached back in June in another cap thread..............that the Texans forgot about and failed to file the request properly before the deadline. The additional $1.08 million could have without doubt found good use this year.
Good job

Smith/Olsen
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012   #62
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Makes no sense to me, why wouldnt they carry over cap money ? It dont hurt you if you do, did more cap space ever hurt anyone ?
Old 09-08-2012   #63
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I have yet to see any reasonable explanation for this 2011 unused $1.08 million cap space not being carried over to this year.....
I'm dumbfounded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Makes no sense to me, why wouldnt they carry over cap money ? It dont hurt you if you do, did more cap space ever hurt anyone ?
If your club is $10 million under the cap already, the extra $1 million may not be needed. But if you're right up against the cap, as the Texans are, that $million could really come in handy. Looks like a boneheaded mistake.
Old 09-08-2012   #64
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm dumbfounded.

If your club is $10 million under the cap already, the extra $1 million may not be needed. But if you're right up against the cap, as the Texans are, that $million could really come in handy. Looks like a boneheaded mistake.
I'm taking the position that we don't know what happened or did not happen and why. The guys in charge of handling this stuff are pros and they know more about what's there and what's not there and what the various ramifications are to things.

They know what each guy is making down to the penny in ways we do not have access to.

It's like a few days ago when it looked like we were 700k over the cap and then there's some exemption thing and... voila! we're under the cap. That wasn't something that the pulled out of their asses last second. They knew they were going to do that from the start.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #65
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm taking the position that we don't know what happened or did not happen and why. The guys in charge of handling this stuff are pros and they know more about what's there and what's not there and what the various ramifications are to things.

They know what each guy is making down to the penny in ways we do not have access to.

It's like a few days ago when it looked like we were 700k over the cap and then there's some exemption thing and... voila! we're under the cap. That wasn't something that the pulled out of their asses last second. They knew they were going to do that from the start.
Reminds me of a funny Seinfeld routine
Quote:
The funny thing about being in these cabs is that when you're in Manhattan for some reason you don't get scared, no matter how fast the guy goes. Well, you know, he's driving fast and recklessly... but he's a professional. He's got a cab driver's license, I can see it right there.
He's a pro, he must be doing it right
Old 09-09-2012   #66
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I read a report that JJo had his contract redone and freed up 4million on the cap

Per kffl.com per John McClain twitter

http://www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #67
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I read a report that JJo had his contract redone and freed up 4million on the cap

Per kffl.com per John McClain twitter

http://www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl
You did not mention same site reports Jameson got new contract also.
Old 09-10-2012   #68
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is your position that the PFT report that the Texans did not roll over their unused cap may not be true? Other than that, I don't know what you are referring to. The question is, did they rollover the unused cap space or not? I don't know the answer, either. But I would like to know what happened, rather than just assume it was handled correctly. Not that it would make a difference. I would just like to know whether these guys are doing everything they can to put the best team on the field.
Old 09-10-2012   #69
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is your position that the PFT report that the Texans did not roll over their unused cap may not be true? Other than that, I don't know what you are referring to. The question is, did they rollover the unused cap space or not? I don't know the answer, either. But I would like to know what happened, rather than just assume it was handled correctly. Not that it would make a difference. I would just like to know whether these guys are doing everything they can to put the best team on the field.
My position is that:

1) The PFT report may not be true.
2) The PFT report may be true but there may be ramifications or extenuating circumstances to the rollover that we don't know about.

My experience with reporting and reporters is this: they always get it wrong. Always. Every time I've been part of something that a reporter eventually reported on, the reporter has screwed something up. Sometimes it's something as simple as misspelling a name (although when you're reporting the list of people who lifted at a competition and the weights they lifted and you end up misspelling names and transposing numbers, that's kinda important to the people you just reported on.) Sometimes it's not having complete information. Many times it's just not understanding everything that's going on.

There's no law or anything in place that requires that NFL teams or the league office be transparent to the public. And it's not in the best interests of the teams to be transparent to the public because that give strategic information to their opponents.

So when we start talking about contracts and how much people are making and how much they count against the cap and what the cap is and how to manage it and what allowances and exceptions exist and all that, I have a tendency to tune out. No one on OUR side of the fence really fully knows what's going on.

It just becomes fodder for people who have already made their minds up to believe one thing or another. If someone WANTS to think our FO is incompetent, then they'll find stuff that supports that belief. If someone wants to think our FO is competent, then they'll find stuff that supports that belief. But all anyone is "finding" are incomplete scraps of information that may or may not be true or even relevant.

They cut Winston, let Brisiel, Jacoby, and Mario walk, and traded Demeco. We know that. We don't necessarily know why: performance, scheme, cost-to-benefit ratio, cap space. Ultimately, we can only really judge the product on the field so that's what I want to concentrate on. To paraphrase what you said, the moves they make should be judged on whether they're fielding a great team.

If they can put a team on the field that gets to the playoffs and wins post-season games for multiple years, then they've done a good job. If not, then they haven't.

That's where I'm at with it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #70
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

All i know is we cant be that bad off, to sign Brown, Foster, Schaub to long term deals all in one season, either that are we are screwed for the next 5 years
Old 09-10-2012   #71
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Coaches don't count against the cap.

For years, the Texans had one of the largest -- if not highest paid -- coaching staffs in the league. I'm not sure if we still do or not. However, if money was at issue, I'd imagine we could have done without a lot of those assistant coaches.
I know that. Cap doesn't matter IF the topic is about spending. Spending is spending, cap or no cap.

Bob finally loosened the purse strings and now he's got a taste of success, so he's continuing to spend (Schaub and Jamison deals prove so).

Nobody has a damn clue about cap space, obviously, so nobody can sit there and wag their finger at me about how we didn't have as much space in the past as I say we did.

No disrespect to the ones on here who tried hard to calculate our cap space, but you don't know.

Better d-coord. Better players. That happens by spending more money. It's not as far fetched as you guys are trying to make it appear. Occam's razor.
Old 09-10-2012   #72
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain reports this morning that after Schaub's and Joseph's contract, the Texans are $3.8 million under the cap.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #73
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't say for sure, but I think I know what they did. All reports indicated that we had less than 1 million in capspace available at the end of the season last year, somewhere around 500k I believe, and the Steelers were in the same situation. Here is the language of the NFL CBA regarding rollover space is this:

Quote:
(v) Carrying Over Room. A Club may "carry over" Room from one
League Year to the following League Year by submitting notice in writing signed by the owner to the NFL no later than fourteen (1 4) days prior to the start of the next League Year indicating the maximum amount of Room that the Club wishes to carry over. The NFL shall prompdy provide a copy of any such notice to the NFLP A. The amount of Room carried over will be adjusted downward based on the final Room available after the year-end reconciliation
There is no limit to the amount you can carry over, even a single dollar could be brought to the next year's cap. However, the year-end reconciliation includes incentive bonuses that are earned, and if they knew that a guy like Brice McCain was going to get 500k because he was played in all 16 games, then that would eat up the rest of the cap. Same could be said for Quin, Brown, or whoever else had incentives that were not considered "likely to be earned" at the beginning of the season.

So my guess is that by the time the Texans were required to submit the paperwork to carry over the money (February 28th), they knew that their player incentives earned would eat it up, so rather than submitting extra paperwork, they went to play a round of golf. I have no issues with that
Old 09-10-2012   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Bob finally loosened the purse strings...
Have you loosened up on those purse strings for them season tickets yet? Bob's going to need some help making ends meet y'know.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read