Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2012   #1
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Free Agents this yr and Next yr

2013 TEXAN UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

CONNOR BARWIN, Linebacker -- 7/31/2009: Signed a four-year, $4.010 million contract. The deal contains $2.12 million guaranteed. 2012: $565,000, 2013: Free Agent

SHAUN CODY, Defensive Lineman -- 3/3/2011: Signed a two-year, $5.75 million contract. The deal contains $1.5 million guaranteed. 2011: $3.5 million, 2012: Under Contract, 2013: Free Agent

GLOVER QUIN, Defensive Back -- 7/16/2009: Signed a four-year, $2.240 million contract. The deal included a $490,000 signing bonus. 2011: $480,000, 2012: $565,000, 2013: Free Agent

RASHAD BUTLER, Tackle -- 7/29/2011: Signed a two-year, $3.8 million contract. The deal included a $1.25 million signing bonus. 2012: $1.3 million, 2013: Free Agent

ANTOINE CALDWELL, Guard -- 7/23/2009: Signed a four-year, $2.554 million contract. The deal included an $804,250 signing bonus. 2011: $480,000, 2012: $565,000, 2013: Free Agent

JAMES CASEY, Fullback/Tight End -- 7/23/2009: Signed a four-year, $1.935 million contract. The deal included a $185,000 signing bonus. 2011: $480,000, 2012: $565,000, 2013: Free Agent

BRICE McCAIN, Defensive Back -- 6/8/2009: Signed a four-year, $1.852 million contract. The deal included a $101,750 signing bonus. 2011: $480,000, 2012: $565,000, 2013: Free Agent

2014 TEXAN UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

BRIAN CUSHING, Linebacker -- 8/1/2009: Signed a five-year, $14 million contract. The deal contains $10.435 million guaranteed, including a second-year "reporting" bonus of $2.9 million. Another $4 million is available through a final-year escalator. 2011: $774,000, 2012: $1.153 million, 2013: $1.593 million, 2014: Free Agent

ANTONIO SMITH, Defensive Lineman -- 2/28/2009: Signed a five-year, $35.5 million contract. The deal included a $12.5 million signing bonus. 2011: $4.6 million, 2012: $5.5 million, 2013: $6 million, 2014: Free Agent

WADE SMITH, Guard -- 3/10/2010: Signed a four-year, $12 million contract. The deal includes $6.25 million guaranteed. 2011: $1.75 million, 2012: $2 million, 2013: $3 million, 2014: Free Agent

EARL MITCHELL, Defensive Lineman -- 6/9/2010: Signed a four-year, $3,423,500 contract. The deal contains $1.6335 million guaranteed. 2011: $405,000, 2012: $490,000, 2013: $575,000, 2014: Free Agent

DARRYL SHARPTON, Linebacker -- 6/11/2010: Signed a four-year, $2.325 million contract. The deal included a $534,940 signing bonus. 2011: $405,000, 2012: $490,000, 2013: $575,000, 2014: Free Agent

BEN TATE, Running Back -- 7/29/2010: Signed a four-year, $3.337 million contract. The deal contains $1.58 million guaranteed. 2011: $405,000, 2012: $490,000, 2013: $575,000, 2014: Free Agent

With Dbo,Schaub and Jamison inked these are the players left and of course some will probably be let go.
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #2
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Free Agents this yr and Next yr

I could see Wade Smith being let go after the season.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #3
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to let him go but I know some people are gona be gone that people would like to keep just part of the business.
Old 09-10-2012   #4
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

The only people I think we must re-sign are GQ & Casey. None of us wants to see Keo any closer to the starting lineup, and Casey is an awesome jack of all trades on offense.

Barwin needs to show he's worth the money and will be our franchise pass rusher. If not, we have Mercilus to step in.

Cody is a nice player, but I still believe we need an upgrade at NT.

Butler has been a big disappointment this preseason.

Hopefully Brooks can step up so we don't need to worry about re-signing Caldwell.

I'd love to see McCain back, but I think Harris or Roc are decent replacements.

As for the 2014 guys, I'd like to see Cush locked up ASAP.

Ninja may be too expensive to keep, and Crick may be ready for a starting spot at the time.

Wade seems to be getting worse & worse each season he plays.

Earl has also been somewhat of a disappointment, I thought he could be that NT we need.

Sharpton needs to get healthy and prove he can start in this league.

Tate will be too expensive to keep.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Connor Barwin, depends on how he plays this year. I think he'll play great and will be a priority re-sign after the season if possible but he could get caught up in a numbers/money crunch with Mercilus waiting in the wings. I don't think Barwin is the type to milk the team for every dollar he can get but there just may not be enough money to go around depending on next years salary cap.

Shaun Cody, Bye. I think he's gone after this year. Cody's not bad but he's not great either and this is a position we can save some money on. If we let him go NT would be my highest priority in next years draft though.

Glover Quin, another guy that's not great but not bad either. He's not a huge playmaker so I can't see him getting huge offers from the rest of the league. I think Smith should re-sign him at a reasonable/smart offer. We've got bigger issues to deal with in next years draft than replacing a slightly above average Safety.

Rashad Butler, Bye. He's just not as good as I thougt he'd be at RT and with the injuries he's gone. Wish him the best of luck somewhere else.

Antoine Caldwell, Bye. Another guy that has not lived up to expectations. Brandon Brooks takes Caldwells spot next year or this one and we address OG depth in the draft.

James Casey, He's useful and should be fairly cheap, not much more than league veteran minimum.

Brice McCain, I'd like to keep him but I just don't think it's possible. Brandon Harris probably becomes the new nickle CB and although only average at the CB position, even mediocre CB's can be expensive in the NFL.

2014:

Brian Cushing, I'd play him to the end of his contract and may even franchise him for a year if necessary. I don't know what the going franchise rate is for an ILB but it shouldn't be to terribly bad. With his steroid issues I'd be very careful reupping him for a long term deal.

Antonio Smith, I think he's gone in 2014. He's on the wrong side of 30 and just gets caught up in a salary cap situation unless he agrees to sign a team freindly deal that reduces his salary. Possibly replaced by an impressive Tim Jamison.

Wade Smith, same as Antonio Smith. Getting older and priced out by an OG we take in the draft next year.

Earl Mitchell, all depends on his level of play this and next season but I'd play him to the end of his contract. If he doesn't get significantly better then he's replaceable in the 2014 draft.

Darryl Sharpton, I'd make him an injury settlement now and say good bye. He's undersized, not that good, and often injured.

Ben Tate, If Rick Smith is smart we trade him after this (2012) season when Tate's value is still high.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #6
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Glover may be the most underrated player on this team. His versatility allows us to do so many things especially when we go to our sub packages. Because he can slide down and play corner it lets Wade be a little more creative. Add in the fact that he's becoming a big hitter at the Safety position as well. I think the INT's are going to start to come as he becomes more comfortable at the position, but I likes what he brings to the table. Because he's not your prototypical ball hawk right now at this stage of his career he should come relatively cheap.

I need to see more from Barwin before I say we should pay him. He's only started 17 games in the NFL if I'm not mistaken. I'm torn about it to be honest with you.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #7
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I think Glover may be the most underrated player on this team. His versatility allows us to do so many things especially when we go to our sub packages. Because he can slide down and play corner it lets Wade be a little more creative. Add in the fact that he's becoming a big hitter at the Safety position as well. I think the INT's are going to start to come as he becomes more comfortable at the position, but I likes what he brings to the table. Because he's not your prototypical ball hawk right now at this stage of his career he should come relatively cheap.

I need to see more from Barwin before I say we should pay him. He's only started 17 games in the NFL if I'm not mistaken. I'm torn about it to be honest with you.
Agreed on GQ dude doesn't get enough credit. Huge fan of Glover
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2012   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think before he left Bernard Pollard gave Glover Quin a little notebook with detailed instructions on how to knock the piss out of people. Glover's been studying it ever since.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 09-11-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the 3 safety look when GQ bumps down to a LB position
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Connor Barwin, depends on how he plays this year. I think he'll play great and will be a priority re-sign after the season if possible but he could get caught up in a numbers/money crunch with Mercilus waiting in the wings. I don't think Barwin is the type to milk the team for every dollar he can get but there just may not be enough money to go around depending on next years salary cap.

Shaun Cody, Bye. I think he's gone after this year. Cody's not bad but he's not great either and this is a position we can save some money on. If we let him go NT would be my highest priority in next years draft though.

Glover Quin, another guy that's not great but not bad either. He's not a huge playmaker so I can't see him getting huge offers from the rest of the league. I think Smith should re-sign him at a reasonable/smart offer. We've got bigger issues to deal with in next years draft than replacing a slightly above average Safety.

Rashad Butler, Bye. He's just not as good as I thougt he'd be at RT and with the injuries he's gone. Wish him the best of luck somewhere else.

Antoine Caldwell, Bye. Another guy that has not lived up to expectations. Brandon Brooks takes Caldwells spot next year or this one and we address OG depth in the draft.

James Casey, He's useful and should be fairly cheap, not much more than league veteran minimum.

Brice McCain, I'd like to keep him but I just don't think it's possible. Brandon Harris probably becomes the new nickle CB and although only average at the CB position, even mediocre CB's can be expensive in the NFL.

2014:

Brian Cushing, I'd play him to the end of his contract and may even franchise him for a year if necessary. I don't know what the going franchise rate is for an ILB but it shouldn't be to terribly bad. With his steroid issues I'd be very careful reupping him for a long term deal.

Antonio Smith, I think he's gone in 2014. He's on the wrong side of 30 and just gets caught up in a salary cap situation unless he agrees to sign a team freindly deal that reduces his salary. Possibly replaced by an impressive Tim Jamison.

Wade Smith, same as Antonio Smith. Getting older and priced out by an OG we take in the draft next year.

Earl Mitchell, all depends on his level of play this and next season but I'd play him to the end of his contract. If he doesn't get significantly better then he's replaceable in the 2014 draft.

Darryl Sharpton, I'd make him an injury settlement now and say good bye. He's undersized, not that good, and often injured.

Ben Tate, If Rick Smith is smart we trade him after this (2012) season when Tate's value is still high.
I agree with your '13 eval except Barwin. I think he goes for the bucks. Also agree on trading Tate after this season and bring the PS RB up.
Old 09-11-2012   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Concerning Quin, why would not other teams see the same potential in him that you do and offer him a bigger contract?
Old 09-11-2012   #12
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Concerning Quin, why would not other teams see the same potential in him that you do and offer him a bigger contract?
He'll get some decent offers, but generally Safeties don't command a ton of money on the open market especially 1 that is still somewhat raw in terms of Safety experience. Teams tend to pay bigger for guys who make plays on the ball and GQ hasn't done a lot of that yet although I think he has that potential in him. But what do I know? I was shocked when Weddle got paid mega bucks to stay in San Diego. He was awesome for them last year though.

Last edited by Texn4life; 09-11-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
The only people I think we must re-sign are GQ & Casey. None of us wants to see Keo any closer to the starting lineup, and Casey is an awesome jack of all trades on offense.
I love Quin, but it wouldn't shock me to see him replaced by the cheaper option, Demps.

On his show yesterday, Kubiak was talking about how much Wade liked to play Demps at the LOS, which is very Quin-ish.
Old 09-11-2012   #14
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He'll get some decent offers, but generally Safeties don't command a ton of money on the open market especially 1 that is still somewhat raw in terms of Safety experience. Teams tend to pay bigger for guys who make plays on the ball and GQ hasn't done a lot of that yet although I think he has that potential in him. But what do I know? I was shocked when Weddle got paid mega bucks to stay in San Diego. He was awesome for them last year though.
Even moreso, he's a strong safety. The guys that command the most money at the safety spot are free safeties that have great range and make lots of INTs. Quin's kind of a tweener, but seems to be more of a hard hitter rather than a coverage guy. He has good speed, but I just don't think he will have that much appeal around the league. I think he's a 3 million a year kind of guy, and I think we will be able to keep him around.
Old 09-11-2012   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Even moreso, he's a strong safety. The guys that command the most money at the safety spot are free safeties that have great range and make lots of INTs. Quin's kind of a tweener, but seems to be more of a hard hitter rather than a coverage guy. He has good speed, but I just don't think he will have that much appeal around the league. I think he's a 3 million a year kind of guy, and I think we will be able to keep him around.
$3m is very good money for a SS.
Quin should be happy with that kind of money.

Oh, and BTW, you can't blame me for looking down on Weeden!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read