Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2012   #21
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Week 1 VS Miami. Lets predict :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiebyMarriage View Post
I would not count your chickens before they have hatched. This is the same kind of talk that I remember hearing, right before the season opener against the Jets back in 2009. Please note that Troy Nolan was just signed by Miami.

I just guessing mind you, but I suspect that the Miami coaching staff is, as I type this, milking Troy for every detail of Wades defense so they can get out of him. It is much easier to attack a defense if you have a little inside knowledge to guide you.

The Texans better take this team seriously because Miami will have a pretty good idea of how to read Wades defense, especially the secondary.
still need the talent, and they just dont have it
Old 09-01-2012   #22
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
still need the talent, and they just dont have it
What talent?

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would not count your chickens before they have hatched. This is the same kind of talk that I remember hearing, right before the season opener against the Jets back in 2009. Please note that Troy Nolan was just signed by Miami.

I just guessing mind you, but I suspect that the Miami coaching staff is, as I type this, milking Troy for every detail of Wades defense so they can get out of him. It is much easier to attack a defense if you have a little inside knowledge to guide you.

The Texans better take this team seriously because Miami will have a pretty good idea of how to read Wades defense, especially the secondary.
They have 6 days, and in 6 days Troy Nolan cannot instill THAT level of knowledge into the Dolphins for the Dolphins to counter what we'll do.

Plus, Wade is smart enough to throw several wrinkles into our packages on Sunday that anything Troy might tip to the Fins...it could backfire when the opposite of what the Dolphins O-Coord thought would happen ends up happening.

Desperate, wormy, no-talented teams like the Titans and the Dolphins think they can get ahead of the curve by acquiring one team's castaways. I think the only time I have seen it work pretty well was when Sage Rosenfels was with the Giants for awhile. Sage had enough lead time to get us ****ed over pretty good, and that game was a laugher from start to finish. **** Sage, by the way. I'm glad he's out of Houston and out of the league too. Serves him right.
Old 09-02-2012   #24
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

38-13, Texans roll on 2TD passes and over 150 rushing yds.
Old 09-02-2012   #25
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm taking Wade's defense over Tannehill. Even if you give the rook the Texans playbook.

Houston is the largest favorite of week 1 (-10.5). The Texans make it 7-0 versus the Phins, 24-3.
Old 09-02-2012   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Holliday returns a punt or kickoff for a TD.

Foster scores.

Tate scores.

Forsett into the game by the 4th quarter. Yates into the game by the 4th quarter. AJ gets to rest in the 4th too, Martin in as WR1 and Jean and Walter clean up the scraps alongside Martin.

Dolphins try to catch up, but the Texans D is straight up hammering them from all angles.

Final score: 34 Texans - Dolphins 17

Nolan gets dropped off the Fins' roster on the Monday after. Gets picked up by our week 2 opponent.
Old 09-02-2012   #27
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Miami has 18 games worth of film regarding the Texans'/Wade's defense from last season. That's way more "data" than they can extract from Troy Nolan in less than a week.

2. If Troy was proficient enough to have any valuable insight into how this defense really worked maybe he'd still be here

3. ...and besides, knowing what's coming (or thinking you know what's coming) and having the ability to do anything about it are two very different things.

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2012   #28
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
1. Miami has 18 games worth of film regarding the Texans'/Wade's defense from last season. That's way more "data" than they can extract from Troy Nolan in less than a week.

2. If Troy was proficient enough to have any valuable insight into how this defense really worked maybe he'd still be here

3. ...and besides, knowing what's coming (or thinking you know what's coming) and having the ability to do anything about it are two very different things.

I'll take a stab then.

1. Very true, but Nolan will be able to give them details that you typically wouldn't be able to get from tape. Whether it's audibles, how they approach certain scenarios, how they go about disguising coverage, etc. If anything, it allows Miami to be more efficient, instead of spending 4 days to dissect the Texans D, it may take 3 days instead. It won't result in a win for Miami, but you can't blame them for trying.

2. I'd actually love for this to be the case. But Nolan could have been cut mainly because he couldn't execute, it doesn't mean he doesn't have any insight on our D. If you can't play, you coach - that's what Miami's thinking here with Nolan. Still think Nolan should be here over Keo

3. This I have no issues with and totally agree. The biggest impact it might have is that it could affect someone like Mercilus who's still learning the defense, and can't be worried with the extra wrinkles and adjustments Wade throws in specifically for this week.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The first thing to remember is that WE are fans. We are not the Texans. We don't have to take anyone seriously... because... what we think and do doesn't really matter. All those things about taking 1 game at a time and not looking at the schedule and all that, those are things for PLAYERS to think, not fans. We can look at the schedule. We can look ahead.

If you think that Kubiak and Wade are not taking that Dolphins team seriously, then you've got another think coming.

I seriously doubt The Dolphins wasted a spot on their 53 in an attempt to learn Wade's defense or to pick up things about the players. I think they signed Troy because he was better than what they had. Wade's defense is not so complicated that they couldn't figure out the majority of it just from looking at film. His defense relies more on him creating mismatches in his play-calls than something complicated built into the structure of the defense (as opposed to the Frank Bush approach.)

Teaching a ROOKIE QB to read that defense, otoh, is going to be a challenge.

Now, personally, I'm not going to predict any huge victory or anything. I've got to see this offensive line operate in a real game before I get to comfy, but that's just me. I'm sure there are fans on some Dolphins boards coming over here, reading this thread, and thinking "WTF are these guys smoking?" OTOH, I'm sure they've probably got a Prediction thread where they're predicting kicking our asses. That's just the way fandom works. No biggie.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #30
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it might be just for a laugh but I'm glad some people have stepped up to debunk the Nolan Conspiracy.

The facts are, though, people, is that Wade's been running essentially the same defense since the 70s with variations to reflect offensive trends in the NFL. Therefore, it's no secret what Wade's going to do - the secret is how Wade's going to do it, which is why you never know where the pressure is coming from, what coverages are disguised, etc. Plus, so much of Wade's defense is based upon using the specific skillsets of the players he has at his disposal. That changes yearly, creating new wrinkles by default.

So, there are decades of Wade's defenses to watch. Have at it...and good luck!
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #31
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

My Week 1 prediction

Texans 34, Dolphins 6

No TD's allowed!!!! Hold them to a couple of field goals.
Old 09-02-2012   #32
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

35-3 Texans. Team clicks in all phases of the game. Kubes reigns in the dogs by the 4th.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
I'll take a stab then.

1. Very true, but Nolan will be able to give them details that you typically wouldn't be able to get from tape. Whether it's audibles, how they approach certain scenarios, how they go about disguising coverage, etc. If anything, it allows Miami to be more efficient, instead of spending 4 days to dissect the Texans D, it may take 3 days instead. It won't result in a win for Miami, but you can't blame them for trying.

2. I'd actually love for this to be the case. But Nolan could have been cut mainly because he couldn't execute, it doesn't mean he doesn't have any insight on our D. If you can't play, you coach - that's what Miami's thinking here with Nolan. Still think Nolan should be here over Keo

3. This I have no issues with and totally agree. The biggest impact it might have is that it could affect someone like Mercilus who's still learning the defense, and can't be worried with the extra wrinkles and adjustments Wade throws in specifically for this week.
I'd offer re-rebuttal for numbers 1 & 2 but we both know that number 3 trumps all. It'll be especially challenging for Miami because, as someone else mentioned, they're trotting out a rookie QB, their "stud" RB is Reggie Bush(league), and Naanee is the only WR whose name I quasi-recognize.

The only reason I won't predict a rout is the propensity of our offense to start slow at times. Especially when the opponent isn't a perceived rival (see Manning Colts or Fisher's Titans) or perceived "statement game".

I see a 24-10 or maybe 27-14 outcome. We go scoreless for most of the first qtr then get take a 10-3 or 13-7 lead into halftime. Kubiak chews some butt at the half and we get 14 to 21 pts in the third/early fourth qtr. And then Kubiak runs out the clock for the remainder of the game. Maybe Holliday or the the defense adds to the final score somewhere along the way.

If this game is remotely close, the soapers come out of hibernation.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #34
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Miami has a good D and always seems to play us close. Having a rookie QB is gonna hurt them, though. I'll call it 31-10. Schaub passes for 250yds and a TD, AF/BT rush for 200 and 2 TD's. D gets 4 sacks and 2 picks, one a pick six.
Old 09-02-2012   #35
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

This won't be much of a game, but not because we are so good, simply because the Dolphins are so bad.

Next week against the Jags will get a little more competitive, and the fun starts at Denver.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #36
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans win 20-13.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #37
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans - 28
Dolphins - 17

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #38
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2722 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

1st quarter....Schaub drives team down field for early TD....7-0 Texans...

....Miami 3 and out......2 yards gained.

....Texans move ball on 2nd drive but kick field goal.....10-0.

2nd quarter.....sloppy early for both teams.....Texans D comes up big with pick 6 late for 17-0 halftime lead. Miami has 50 yards total offense.

3rd quarter....Texans flat......Dolphins threaten a couple of times before punching it in late on short drive for a TD.....17-7. Miami adds 135 yards total offense in 3rd quarter.

Texans D pitches shutout rest of way giving offense short field for one field goal and offense drives close enough for another....final score 23-7. Ryan Tannehill gets confused and tries to go to airport with Texans.

After the game GK says he saw alot of good things and he'll have to wait to see the tape before knowing how anyone did. Says they have some things they need to clean up and they'll do that tomorrow and vaguely implies that some people need to play better.

Old 09-02-2012   #39
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
.... Please note that Troy Nolan was just signed by Miami.
Herring has coached with Wade for years and he can't call the defense a good. Wade's defense is not complex, there's not a lot to figure out and it's not new.

Knowing how all the chess pieces move doesn't make you good at chess.

Run away from Watt, Cushing and throw towards Kareem.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.
Old 09-02-2012   #40
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Munchak, being mind controlled by evil Darth Adams, runs out into the field in the 1st quarter and steps on Schaubs foot. TJ comes in but injures his shoulder. Beck comes in and hands off to Foster and Tate the rest of the game and we win 94-0. Afterwards in the press conference, Beck trips over the podium and is out for the season. Case Keenum is the starting quarterback and the Texans win the Super Bowl 140-0 over Dallas. The Cowboys are then moved to LA, but unfortunately the entire team perishes when the San Andres fault slips.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read