Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-05-2012   #41
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
wow, can't believe y'all got whooped by the bobcats.

does uh have a depth chart? curious because my former teammate is a player there.
Check out the rivals.com team site for UH, it should be there but I think it's only Rivals best guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
We tried that once and it was an utter fail. Thanks but no thanks. Its whomever the coach is at UH's job is to win games not prepare players for the pros. We can't recruit the top level talent it takes to run a pro set. When UH has been successful its because we have used an offense that equalizes the talent when we play more talented teams.
I forgot the name of the coach but he moved away from recruiting Houston-area guys to players outside the city and that's the reason why it wasn't a success.

The key to having a successful football program is to have a decision maker that knows a thing or two about football. Take for example Michigan post-Carr era:

They had a five-star rated quarterback in Ryan Mallet who was the next best thing and yet, they go out and hire Rich Rodriguez whose offense requires a speedy, mobile quarterback instead of a pure pro-style player.

The city of Houston could also help by improving the area around UH and UH can also try to make the school more attractive (e.g. better dorms, more assistance for players, something along these lines).

Coaches have to be able to either A.) Sell the program (e.g. Alabama) or B.) Sell the school and let the school's reputation be the convincing factor (e.g. Michigan, Cal-Berkley) or both.

Besides this, you will end up with one to two-star athletes who just want to play ball and attend classes and most likely won't be top-rated NFL players.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #42
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84705 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Kim Helton is the coach you are thinking of. One of the worst coaches in the history of college football.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #43
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Kim Helton is the coach you are thinking of. One of the worst coaches in the history of college football.
Kim Helton........... The WORST ever!!!
Old 09-05-2012   #44
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
His record may suck but he did attempt to turn UH football towards a different direction and unfortunately it didn't work out.

UH needs to move away from their pass-heavy offense and either have a balanced spread attack a la Ohio State or turn into a spread offense with zone reads like West Virginia under Rich Rodriguez.

That and hire a DC who can recruit and get the right types of players on the team. No more linebackers that are built like safeties.

Just my thoughts...
Old 09-06-2012   #45
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
His record may suck but he did attempt to turn UH football towards a different direction and unfortunately it didn't work out.

UH needs to move away from their pass-heavy offense and either have a balanced spread attack a la Ohio State or turn into a spread offense with zone reads like West Virginia under Rich Rodriguez.

That and hire a DC who can recruit and get the right types of players on the team. No more linebackers that are built like safeties.

Just my thoughts...
Dude, OSU was a terrible mention. Understood what you meant by a more balanced attack, and that's a viable argument BUT OSU? Really??? We don't play in the "stuck in the mud" Big 10.
Old 09-06-2012   #46
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Dude, OSU was a terrible mention. Understood what you meant by a more balanced attack, and that's a viable argument BUT OSU? Really??? We don't play in the "stuck in the mud" Big 10.
LOL, OSU was a bad mention. It came up in my mind because they run a spread offense with a solid running game (or that's what they did pre-Urban Meyer era).
Old 09-07-2012   #47
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post

Just my thoughts...
You do realize UH is in CUSA right?? UH has never been able to go into the 5 star recruits homes and get them away from the major powers it was like that in the SWC days and its especially true today. That's why UH when it was most successful did it with talent that the other schools missed out on. They did it with WR who weren't 6'3 and built like Andre Johnson. They did it by turning 5'7 former QB Jason Phillips into an all american. They did it with a QB like Andre Ware who every other school that recruited him wanted to turn him into a DB. UH is not Ohio St it doesn't have the money from alums that those major powers have and I doubt it will even be close in my lifetime. We have to grab guys that the big schools misjudge and from the guys who slip through the cracks and get coached up.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2012   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We tried that once and it was an utter fail. Thanks but no thanks. Its whomever the coach is at UH's job is to win games not prepare players for the pros. We can't recruit the top level talent it takes to run a pro set. When UH has been successful its because we have used an offense that equalizes the talent when we play more talented teams.
And that is why better players are going elsewhere to increase chances in pros.
Old 09-07-2012   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You do realize UH is in CUSA right?? UH has never been able to go into the 5 star recruits homes and get them away from the major powers it was like that in the SWC days and its especially true today. That's why UH when it was most successful did it with talent that the other schools missed out on. They did it with WR who weren't 6'3 and built like Andre Johnson. They did it by turning 5'7 former QB Jason Phillips into an all american. They did it with a QB like Andre Ware who every other school that recruited him wanted to turn him into a DB. UH is not Ohio St it doesn't have the money from alums that those major powers have and I doubt it will even be close in my lifetime. We have to grab guys that the big schools misjudge and from the guys who slip through the cracks and get coached up.
How did those guys do in pros? You made my point that players go to UH only if no other better choice.
Old 09-08-2012   #50
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 40940 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Too soon?

I'm sure they'll get it sorted out.
It's easier just to quote this. It pretty much spells it out....

However....
.I would love to eat crow if Levine can turn this thing around

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012   #51
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I just thought about this, but the oc that "resigned" was the coach for my brothers team.

I remember watching games and just thinking how bad he sucked. Absolutely awful play calling.

I was talking about it with my brother today.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012   #52
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn Rey, why didn't you say something? It's Rey's fault.
Old 09-08-2012   #53
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Damn Rey, why didn't you say something? It's Rey's fault.

LOL...For some reason it didn't click with me until today when he asked me if I heard about the UH OC...

Stephen F Austin is better off without him...

Can't say this enough, but he is an awful play caller. I don't understand why he gets jobs.
Old 09-08-2012   #54
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Dang Keenum made this team so much better, where are all the big plays at ?
Old 09-08-2012   #55
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Dline and secondary are terrible, along with this new QB. Man this team is miles away from being good
Old 09-08-2012   #56
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Pretty sure i just proved my entire point about the dline and secondary in one play haha
Old 09-08-2012   #57
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Dang Keenum made this team so much better, where are all the big plays at ?
Sumlin deserves some credit too.
Old 09-08-2012   #58
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Sumlin deserves some credit too.
agree but lord, cant tackle cant catch, you call slants all night for 5-8 yards and then on 4th down u decide lets throw it over their heads, i mean really ???
Old 09-08-2012   #59
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

LA is calling the same 3 plays over and over and over haha and we cant stop them.
Old 09-08-2012   #60
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm kind of ashamed at what UH is putting on the field this year. After all the hard work and effort that's gone into getting the program to have a pulse again we step into 2012 with everything to play for and yet these guys look like some Kim Helton/Dana Dimmel teams. Like you said Ellis, "can't tackle, can't catch". This isn't good enough. This is where you either continue to go forward and take the team to the next level or slink back into your hole and putz around for another few years. Looks like the Cougars are happy to get their new stadium and putz around.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read