Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2012   #121
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

No. The OL is bad. It's going to be exposed every time we play a very good team, which is to say, they probably won't make it through the playoffs. I guess there's the "time to gel" theory, but 6 games in, Caldwell looked as awful as I've ever seen in the early part, and they can't even decide which guys they want to play on the right side. The LG is not doing so great either.

Super Bowl teams keep their QB clean and run for more than 1.7ypc against playoff teams. The Texans just played their first playoff team last night.
Old 10-15-2012   #122
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
No. The OL is bad. It's going to be exposed every time we play a very good team, which is to say, they probably won't make it through the playoffs. I guess there's the "time to gel" theory, but 6 games in, Caldwell looked as awful as I've ever seen in the early part, and they can't even decide which guys they want to play on the right side. The LG is not doing so great either.

Super Bowl teams keep their QB clean and run for more than 1.7ypc against playoff teams. The Texans just played their first playoff team last night.
The thing is.

If the Playoffs were to start today the Jets would be a playoff team. The Dolphins have the same record and the Broncos would jump ahead of the Chargers with a win today.

So all this whole "The Texans have played no body." stuff is just that. Some stuff. The truth is the AFC is pretty weak and the Texans are playing in a weak conference, you have 3 teams the Patriots (who lost again), Ravens, and Texans and everyone chasing those teams.

I do think they are capable of going to the superbowl only because outside of those two teams I think they win against the rest of the AFC. Those two teams are very beatable.

The NFC on the other hand is the stronger conference.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #123
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
The thing is.

If the Playoffs were to start today the Jets would be a playoff team. The Dolphins have the same record and the Broncos would jump ahead of the Chargers with a win today.

So all this whole "The Texans have played no body." stuff is just that. Some stuff. The truth is the AFC is pretty weak and the Texans are playing in a weak conference, you have 3 teams the Patriots (who lost again), Ravens, and Texans and everyone chasing those teams.

I do think they are capable of going to the superbowl only because outside of those two teams I think they win against the rest of the AFC. Those two teams are very beatable.

The NFC on the other hand is the stronger conference.
great point...The NFC is a behemoth right now & last night's game reminded me of that Giants game we played a few years back. We were dominated at the LOS and Arian & the run game could get nothing going...................which in effect made our passing game terrible.

Packers, Giants, 49ers are probably the 3 best teams in the league right now. The good thing is, we'd only have to face 1 of them if we somehow made it to the SB.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #124
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
The thing is.

If the Playoffs were to start today the Jets would be a playoff team. <snip>
I never said they haven't played anyone. The Denver win was a quality win. The win against a Jets team with their back to the wall, on the road, on MNF, was a quality win. But you and I both know that there are PLAYOFF TEAMS and there are playoff teams.

The Ravens are a little beat up, so that takes a little of the shine off, but they're better than the Broncos or Jets, so it'll be a good test again. I expect the Texans to respond well. The thing is, you don't get to respond int he playoffs. You win or go home. There's no picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. I just don't see this team, with the OL and even the ILB situation being as it is, winning three playoff games in a row. *shrug* ... maybe the OL gets better.
Old 10-15-2012   #125
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
great point...The NFC is a behemoth right now & last night's game reminded me of that Giants game we played a few years back. We were dominated at the LOS and Arian & the run game could get nothing going...................which in effect made our passing game terrible.

Packers, Giants, 49ers are probably the 3 best teams in the league right now. The good thing is, we'd only have to face 1 of them if we somehow made it to the SB.
Not only the Packers, Giants, and 9ers.

You have the Falcons who are still undefeated...then you have the NFC North and NFC West, in the west every team is at least .500 The team that is below .500 in the North are the Detroit Lions.

I think the Texans just play in the weaker conference. You have those 3 teams and hopefully we can be the better of the Pats and the Ravens.
Old 10-15-2012   #126
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I never said they haven't played anyone. The Denver win was a quality win. The win against a Jets team with their back to the wall, on the road, on MNF, was a quality win. But you and I both know that there are PLAYOFF TEAMS and there are playoff teams.

The Ravens are a little beat up, so that takes a little of the shine off, but they're better than the Broncos or Jets, so it'll be a good test again. I expect the Texans to respond well. The thing is, you don't get to respond int he playoffs. You win or go home. There's no picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. I just don't see this team, with the OL and even the ILB situation being as it is, winning three playoff games in a row. *shrug* ... maybe the OL gets better.
Yeah I know what you mean. I also agree that ILB (and really OLB at this point too since they provide no help to Watt...) and OL is a cause for concern right now. The biggest concern is Joseph. The first few games our secondary you could argue was our strength on defense (run defense has always been meh this year). It's not because we didn't play anyone (They played great against Manning too) and felt like we got some pressure sacks and they made plays. Now Joseph has been picked on for two games and they just look sloppy out there.

Sometimes I feel like even when Cushing was around that this team is missing one extra playmaker on defense. If you think about last year we had 3 extra playmakers in Mario, Demeco, Barwin (who has vanished) I think you just don't replace two pro-bowl level talents. I don't care what people say about Mario he's much better than any outside rusher we have now (and I know we could not keep him) and Demeco I've been saying all along we would miss him and I always wonder how Philly can fit all these guys on their roster but we can't.
Old 10-15-2012   #127
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

If last night had been a dominated loss to the Dolphins or some equally wretched team, I'd be scared the sky is falling, too.

But, we lost to one of the three best teams in the league, just one year removed from a Super Bowl championship and a team that went 15-1 last season.

The Packers are going to whoop some teams this year. Just so happens that the Texans were ripe for a whooping right when the Packers were coming off a wake-up-call loss to the Colts.
Old 10-15-2012   #128
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

According to MIKE and MIKE the AFC is the JV to the NFC varsity! So, it ya wanna believe what those guys say, the AFC doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning the SB. Do we have a chance of making it TO the SB? As much as any other team in the AFC. We've all seen less than steller teams make it to, or win, the SB. The team with the best record does not always come out on top! Our chance of making it lies in the heart, soul, and minds of our players and coaches. If they wanna do it, they will. If they wanna lay down and die like they did last night, then it's gonna be a LONG last half of the season. JMO! It's all up to them. The fans did their part last night, the team did not!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #129
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
According to MIKE and MIKE the AFC is the JV to the NFC varsity! So, it ya wanna believe what those guys say, the AFC doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning the SB. Do we have a chance of making it TO the SB? As much as any other team in the AFC. We've all seen less than steller teams make it to, or win, the SB. The team with the best record does not always come out on top! Our chance of making it lies in the heart, soul, and minds of our players and coaches. If they wanna do it, they will. If they wanna lay down and die like they did last night, then it's gonna be a LONG last half of the season. JMO! It's all up to them. The fans did their part last night, the team did not!!
yeah, you're right about the fans. Y'all were loud! My tv was shaking.

Unfortunately, no amount of rabid fan love will inspire a team that comes out of the tunnel flat. They barely had a pulse out there.

Watt looked like he was working on a M.A.S.H. unit, but he was the lone highlight, iirc.
Old 10-15-2012   #130
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
NFC has better teams, don't know if I'd go that far to calling it(AFC) JV...that would mean that the AFC team has no shot at winning it.

But if you get to the superbowl of course you have a shot at it. Easier said than done of course.
Old 10-15-2012   #131
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
The truth is the AFC is pretty weak and the Texans are playing in a weak conference, you have 3 teams the Patriots (who lost again), Ravens, and Texans and everyone chasing those teams.
I'd throw Denver in there as well, behind those three teams, but still. They'll get better as the year goes on. If we get a bye, we'll most likely be playing one of those three teams, Pats, Ravens, or Broncos on our way to the AFC Championship game, then we'll face one of the other two.
Old 10-23-2012   #132
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

6-1 and two weeks to rest and heal. Any changed views?
Old 10-23-2012   #133
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
6-1 and two weeks to rest and heal. Any changed views?
6-0 in the AFC. That's huge. I haven't counted the Pats out for homefield, yet. They're capable of going on a run. But the Texans have 4 games left in the weak AFC South, and I have a difficult time seeing the Texans with a final record worse than 12-4. That puts a lot of pressure on New England the rest of the way. Everything points to the Super Bowl coming through Houston.
Old 10-23-2012   #134
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

To answer an original question. Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

Yes we do!

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #135
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
6-0 in the AFC. That's huge. I haven't counted the Pats out for homefield, yet. They're capable of going on a run. But the Texans have 4 games left in the weak AFC South, and I have a difficult time seeing the Texans with a final record worse than 12-4. That puts a lot of pressure on New England the rest of the way. Everything points to the Super Bowl coming through Houston.
I would like the back ups to get more time at Buffalo. Yates, Lestar Jean, Brandon Harris, Carmichael, Brooks, Demps, etc. As season progresses more liklihood of injuries & we need to have exerienced subs ready to go.
Old 10-23-2012   #136
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 338 PandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The afc almost won last year, it all came down to a few muffed passes...If we play in the playoffs and the superbowl the way we played agaisnt the ravens..I beleive we can make it to superbowl and win it..
PandapuffTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #137
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Of course we do. But the NFC might have a few teams better than us... we'll see.
Old 10-23-2012   #138
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 338 PandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Of course we do. But the NFC might have a few teams better than us... we'll see.
I personally belive we arnt playing best football..our new starters still getting feel for team and arian still trying to find his groove..i think near december helath permitting we will be unstoppable..any given sunday..49ers whooped packers,but the 49ers lost bad to the giants, who lost to some bad teams, while average teams have beaten the packers..while the packers beat us.

So if football has taught us anything as doesnt matter who has the most talent, it involves luck and risk..to make some palys work. and its not always the most talented that wins (mario williams) it is which team plays with the most heart and goes out and plays the best football
Old 10-23-2012   #139
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Givin the state of the AFC yes. However no matter what our record , we will be the underdog in the superbowl.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #140
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

thoguht texans played the best when everyone doubts them..they doubted them all year last year...they said we would not be falcons with rookie qb and we did..now that same team is said to be best team in league..im not buying it

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read