Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

McManis traded to Bears for FB Clutts

I really hope this doesn't mean Ball made the cut.

Also, I'm hearing conflicting reports that Clutts was cut outright from Chicago?..

Clutts is a very good blocking FB that can catch the ball out of the backfield. He is a great ST guy, but I believe he's coming off of an ACL injury.

We need a FB, and McMannis has the value to make this trade works.

I preferred McMannis over Carmichael at the moment for his overall game, but I do think that the Roc has the potential to be a better cover corner.

I don't know much about Clutts, but I can't help but feel like this means we're keeping Ballsack.:wadepalm:

We need a FB, and McMannis has the value to make this trade works.

I preferred McMannis over Carmichael at the moment for his overall game, but I do think that the Roc has the potential to be a better cover corner.

Exactly never been a Roc fan but o well see how it goes

Clutts is a very good blocking FB that can catch the ball out of the backfield. He is a great ST guy, but I believe he's coming off of an ACL injury.

Chicago fans say he can't really catch or run the ball but he crushes linebackers a DB's pretty well.

Clutts played all 4 games in the PS.
He ran the ball twice for 6 yards (3 yard each time).
He also caught 4 passes for 32 yards.

Edit: Those numbers were in the 2011 PS

He also played for game during PS 2012, recorded no rushing attempts and had 3 catches for 14 yards.

We had a surplus of young CBs and a need for a FB.

I had thought Norris's blocking last night was going to be good enough to get him on the team but I wuz worng. It couldn't counteract those two horrible dropped passes.

I like the trade. Hope this kid works out.

Chicago fans say he can't really catch or run the ball but he crushes linebackers a DB's pretty well.

Apparently, they are basing their opinion of his running ability on the fact that he is never asked to do it (Which might be competely correct).

In his NFL career, he has two carries. Both occurred in preseason. Preseason of 2011 when he was on the Browns roster.

No carries in 2011 regular season, no carries in 2012 preseason.

McManis has to be happy since he played at Northwestern (northside Chicago).

Good move, hate to see Norris go...but whatever makes a W I'm all for it.

Clutts reminds me of Owen Marecic, Stanford who was drafted by Cleveland in the 4th round out of Stanford. Interestingly I believe Tyler was first signed by the Browns after a stint in other professional football leagues. Both players have experience on both sides of the ball. Both players are physical & play 110% all out. Lead blocker upgrade, better hands, quality special teams player & could get some reps @ LB if Texans get in a pinch.

In regards to Sherrick, I thought he was ahead of both Nolan & Shiloh Keo.

unrelated, but I hope hope Texans keep Eddie Pleasent, kid has excellent closing speed, instincts & is just a very solid football player.

Didn't someone mention this FB in another thread?

Show yourself for congratulations on a great call...

I think I mentioned him. I'd heard they were going to waive him. I guess we didn't want take a chance on seeing if he'd last through waivers

Reactions: Rey
Tyler Clutts ‏@TylerClutts44
A huge thank you to the @ChicagoBears n the city of Chi for a wonderful year! Truly a 1st class team, city n fans. Will miss u #bearsnation
Met people that will be friends for life. Thank you all for the support and love. See you in Nov and again in the super bowl.
LINK

I like it.

Apparently, they are basing their opinion of his running ability on the fact that he is never asked to do it (Which might be competely correct).

In his NFL career, he has two carries. Both occurred in preseason. Preseason of 2011 when he was on the Browns roster.

No carries in 2011 regular season, no carries in 2012 preseason.

Who uses fullbacks to actually run the ball anyway? Not very many teams.

Sherrick McManis is probably happy with this trade since he goes to his old stomping grounds...........he is originally from the Chicago area and a graduate of Northwestern

Clutts reminds me of Owen Marecic, Stanford who was drafted by Cleveland in the 4th round out of Stanford. Interestingly I believe Tyler was first signed by the Browns after a stint in other professional football leagues. Both players have experience on both sides of the ball. Both players are physical & play 110% all out. Lead blocker upgrade, better hands, quality special teams player & could get some reps @ LB if Texans get in a pinch.

In regards to Sherrick, I thought he was ahead of both Nolan & Shiloh Keo.

unrelated, but I hope hope Texans keep Eddie Pleasent, kid has excellent closing speed, instincts & is just a very solid football player.
Agree BL, Pleasant has been pretty damn good imo. Quietly doing his job. This trade is awesome to me. I think Roc is future & if FB is as good as Bears fans indicate could have been another excellent move by Ric Smith. Now if he can find a OT to replace Butler.

Should of kept Leech ... o wait we didnt want to make him the HIGHEST paied FB in the NFL

Why did we let Vickers go? Contract issue? I heard he may be cut soon in Dallas
Vickers had ongoing problems picking the correct man to hit in his leads.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who haven't ventured over to the Bears forum,

Fans over there are pissed that Clutts is gone, talking up his blocking (a la Vonta Leach), and what a great football player he was.

Sounds like FB is not a position OC Mike Tice uses. Clutts may be the man for the job, give us some help on those run rights.

Last edited:
We had a surplus of young CBs and a need for a FB.

I had thought Norris's blocking last night was going to be good enough to get him on the team but I wuz worng. It couldn't counteract those two horrible dropped passes.

I like the trade. Hope this kid works out.

Bolded, you nailed that. I'm thinking they've watched enough of the Vickers & Norris stone hands show. Both of them cost us EZ TDs. They're wanting something more in the line of Leach who bulldozed and did well as being fairly soft handed in the flats.

Bolded, you nailed that. I'm thinking they've watched enough of the Vickers & Norris stone hands show. Both of them cost us EZ TDs. They're wanting something more in the line of Leach who bulldozed and did well as being fairly soft handed in the flats.

I might be wrong, but I always thought Leach was really bad at catching the ball.

Back