Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2012   #61
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who Gets Cut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

Texans traded CB Sherrick McManis to the Bears fo FB Tyler Clutts

LINK
Ooohhhh... OK.

I had too many DBs in my roster. And I knew we had to have a FB behind Casey, so I kept Norris.

This make sense. Gotta go look up Clutts now, though.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #62
Joeycharp89
Veteran

Rep Power: 651 Joeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
You guys must not watch much CBs in coverage and/or game film.

Carmichael is rarely out of position, unlike Jackson, Harris, McManis...why? Because he diagnoses plays better on the onset. He's smarter, quicker and has the body size you need in this league. Moreover, his closing speed is a lot quicker if the WR gets a step on him, while, I might add, the way he turns his head and looks for the ball in stride is textbook. The way he uses his hands in coverage without drawing a penalty is just what you want. His speed is just as good or better than McCain's.

The only glaring flaw I see in Carmichael's game so far is his run support. K. Jackson has him beat on that facet of the game. Then again, I made it clear I was talking about a "pure cover corner."

While McManis might be a better special teams player than Carmichael, it's apparent that that's all McManis will ever be. His extended reps last night sort of showed that, yeah? Yeah.
This. I saw a good number of passes go to his side, and he was right on top of his receiver any time I saw him.
Joeycharp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #63
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeycharp89 View Post
This. I saw a good number of passes go to his side, and he was right on top of his receiver any time I saw him.
And I wrote this before I knew of the McManis trade. Looks like I was on the right track. McManis will make a good special teamer for the Bears.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #64
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that Carmichael is better than people have given him credit for...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #65
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I agree that Carmichael is better than people have given him credit for...
But he's not the 2nd best cover corner on our team... If so then I guess Wade and vance jospeh don't know what their doing seeing as he's 5-6 on the depth chart.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #66
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40550 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I prefer to keep 5 OLBs though. OLBs make for good special teams players, it keeps the pass rushers fresh, etc. I would much rather be short at QB (carrying 2 instead of 3) because lets face it, if your top 2 guys go down, the season is screwed anyway.
Didn't we almost make it to the AFC Championship game last season with exactly this happening?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #67
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Iglesias cut, per twitter.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2012   #68
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
My roster had 6 OLB's with Nading, Braman and Bryant all making it behing the top three...

I think Nading and Braman still make it...But we'll see....
Brain fart, meant to go with 6.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #69
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
But he's not the 2nd best cover corner on our team... If so then I guess Wade and vance jospeh don't know what their doing seeing as he's 5-6 on the depth chart.
They are not going to give a guy who is essentially in his rookie year the starting job considering where he was drafted in the 4th round behind Brandon Harris, though Roc looks better than Harris. The Texans have the luxury to groom now, instead of putting their feet in the fire like K-Jak.

I'm still saying he covers better than anybody on this team, right after J-Jo. Sure, Roc has things to work on, and sure K. Jackson should start; still, Roc's cover ability is only 2nd to 1.
Old 08-31-2012   #70
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't say he was the 2nd best cover corner....

Just that I think he's better than he's given credit for...

He's basically a rookie. I think overall he has looked pretty good.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #71
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They are not going to give a guy who is essentially in his rookie year the starting job considering where he was drafted in the 4th round behind Brandon Harris, though Roc looks better than Harris. The Texans have the luxury to groom now, instead of putting their feet in the fire like K-Jak.

I'm still saying he covers better than anybody on this team, right after J-Jo. Sure, Roc has things to work on, and sure K. Jackson should start; still, Roc's cover ability is only 2nd to 1.
So one of the best nickle backs in the league gets no credit? Brice was excellent last year in coverage.
Old 08-31-2012   #72
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Per Twitter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bryant
3 sacks in one game and u get released I'm not mad at all because I kno some team is going to b happy to have me
Old 08-31-2012   #73
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Didn't we almost make it to the AFC Championship game last season with exactly this happening?
The exception that proves the rule.

Yes, every once in a while, a team's backup or 3rd stringer comes in and is a true revelation. More often than not, however, a teams' record gets worse as they go through QBs.
Old 08-31-2012   #74
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Quote:
So one of the best nickle backs in the league gets no credit? Brice was excellent last year in coverage.
For real, I was going to edit that, because McCain is really a great cover guy, who is neck and neck with Roc. McCain covers better than K-Jak in my opinion (though certainly Jackson has stepped it up). In short, Brice is a stud.
Old 08-31-2012   #75
wolf123
All Pro

Quote:
For real, I was going to edit that, because McCain is really a great cover guy, who is neck and neck with Roc. McCain covers better than K-Jak in my opinion (though certainly Jackson has stepped it up). In short, Brice is a stud.
Okay, thats where I had my issue. Brice should of earned a lot of respect last year from the year he had!
Old 08-31-2012   #76
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The thing with Carmichael is that he basically looks scared to tackle. It's fairly know that we like tackling DBs. That said, the McMannis trade probably gave him a spot anyway.
Old 08-31-2012   #77
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Just totaling Hothy's info, the current players are rumored to have been cut-

Cody Wallace
DJ Bryant
Shawn Loiseau
Case Keenum
Hebron Fangupo
Jerrell Jackson
Logan Brock
Moran Norris
Juaquin Iglesias
These 9 cut, plus Butler on IR. That puts us at 65 guys on the roster, right? 12 more guys, who do you think gets cut?
Old 08-31-2012   #78
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Carmichael is right behind J-Jo as the 2nd best pure cover guy on this team. He stays.
I couldn't agree more. He was covering like a blanket, but wait, there's more...while being in his man's hip pocket he actually swiveled his head to locate the ball in flight. As much as KJ has improved I see Roc giving him some stiff competition.

While on the subject, as others have said, Ball needs to go away. TODAY!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #79
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The exception that proves the rule.

Yes, every once in a while, a team's backup or 3rd stringer comes in and is a true revelation. More often than not, however, a teams' record gets worse as they go through QBs.
That is what happened last year though, our record did get worse with TJ/Leinart.
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #80
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

Lots of reports on #Texans cuts. Team has yet to announce any. Gary Kubiak has a press conference at 2 pm CT

Maybe the reports are wrong, we shall see.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read