Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2012   #41
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub labeled "middle of the pack" (16-20 range)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
You look at that and the obvious conclusion you come up with is that Eli is "better" than Peyton... or even in the same league? What does that say about Warren Moon, Dan Foust (sp), & Marino??

The Giants have a better team than the Colts... that's all I take from that. As far as MVP goes.. which is an individual award, call me when Eli gets a league MVP. Not as prestigious, I know, but it includes all players... even those that did not qualify for the Super Bowl MVP.
Hell no , Eli isnt as good as Peyton .... I honestly think Peyton Manning is the best QB this league has ever seen. He's taken QB play to a whole nother level .... Man do I hate that guy, only because he doesnt play for my team.

But with two SB-MVP's and two rings .... I'll plug him in with the next tier of QB's which includes Brady , Brees and Rodgers.

My point was more that he gets overshadowed by Peyton more because his name is Manning .... If he was anyone else we wouldnt get near as many comparisons.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #42
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90373 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayshauntay View Post
Cortland Finnegan, Josh Wilson, Michael Huff, Jabari Greer. Do these names ring a bell?
Didn't the all say that if you hit Schaub once, he pretty much gives up?

I know Albert Fatworth has said that many times.

Never really seen anyone but blind Cowboys haters put Schaub over Romo.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #43
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, Schaub is the most likely candidate to cost us a SB appearance. I'm not saying much here, but it is what it is.
Old 08-30-2012   #44
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I've been calling Schaub TOP 10 for the last few years. I'd say that if you made a list though, you could argue that other guys belong over him in the top 10. It's all about perspective really. No way he is out of the top 15 though.

I'm only concerned with RIGHT NOW as far as Schaub goes though, and RIGHT NOW Schaub is looking damn good going into the season. Schaub looks crisp, focused, and as sharp as I have ever seen Schaub look. I'm proud that he our QB.
Very well said. I agree 100%.

MSR

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #45
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

ProFootballFocus has it's own QB Rating (Signature Stats) that takes into account dropped passes, throw aways, spikes, and yards in the air and further adjusts the old formula so it makes more sense and is a more accurate measure. These are based on regular season only.

2008, at least 50% of snaps
Quote:
1 Aaron Rodgers 97.11
2 Philip Rivers 95.98
3 Peyton Manning 95.00
4 Matt Ryan 92.95
5 Chad Pennington 92.65
6 Jeff Garcia 91.29
7 Kurt Warner 90.87
8 Matt Schaub 90.25

10 Drew Brees 88.94
11 Jay Cutler 88.51
12 Eli Manning 88.41

14 Tony Romo 86.55

19 Ben Roethlisberger 84.50
2009, at least 50% of snaps
Quote:
1 Drew Brees 96.89
2 Ben Roethlisberger 95.69
3 Philip Rivers 94.87
4 Brett Favre 94.77
5 Aaron Rodgers 94.62
6 Matt Schaub 92.23
7 Peyton Manning 91.10
8 Eli Manning 88.21
9 Tom Brady 87.95

11 Tony Romo 87.41
2010, at least 50% of snaps
Quote:
1 Tom Brady 99.17
2 Aaron Rodgers 95.91
3 Michael Vick 93.57
4 Ben Roethlisberger 92.73
5 Philip Rivers 92.13
6 Peyton Manning 91.11
7 Joe Flacco 90.57
8 Drew Brees 90.41
9 Josh Freeman 90.22
10 Matt Schaub 89.31
11 Matt Ryan 88.13

13 Eli Manning 87.58
2011, at least 25%* of snaps
Quote:
1 Aaron Rodgers 108.77
2 Drew Brees 98.26
3 Tom Brady 93.45
4 Matt Ryan 92.45
5 Matthew Stafford 92.32
6 Tony Romo 92.30
7 Eli Manning 91.82
8 Matt Moore 91.75
9 Matt Schaub 90.65
10 Alex D. Smith 90.07
11 Philip Rivers 89.49
12 Michael Vick 88.03

14 Ben Roethlisberger 85.19
15 Jay Cutler 84.90

22 Cam Newton 81.21
23 Joe Flacco 80.63
*had to drop down to 25% total snaps in 2011 so that Schaub could be included
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #46
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't mean anything. Your point?
Old 08-30-2012   #47
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Take that defense away.... better yet, swap Carolina's defense with New Yorks. We'd all have a different view of these QBs.

Personally, I am not sold on Eli Manning. I don't agree with the MVPs... but who am I?

I also think he's about right on Matt, so far.... give or take.
We can play "what if" games until we are old and gray. None of it means anything. Heck, we can play that game going back decades. What if Bud Adams hadn't been stuck at a Houston airport and we had the Houston Cowboys? What if? What if? What if? It's all meaningless imaginary nonsense.

I look at reality. And the reality is that Eli has 2 championship MVPs, one of only 5 QBs in NFL history to accomplish this feat. That fact does not make him the best, but since the NFL is not in the habit of handing out those awards like Halloween candy, I'd say that he certainly deserves more respect than many folks are willing to give him.

And freakin' A this doofus writer is making himself look like a fool to put Newton above him. It reeks of an agenda and lacks any logical objectivity.
Old 08-30-2012   #48
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

What? He doesn't look like a guy that really knows football?

He ain't any different than these other self proclaimed analysts that peruse stat lines to come up with worthless ratings and blogs

Old 08-30-2012   #49
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

The bottom line: Schaub versus Romo?

Who is the better quarterback? Don't be bias.
Old 08-30-2012   #50
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post

Same
Old 08-30-2012   #51
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89506 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Romo is capable of winning and losing more games. I'll take a more consistent Schaub I'd trust as a coach. Sure, i'm biased ,but i've seen Romo do a lot of incredibly bone headed things over the years.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Doesn't mean anything. Your point?
Seems to indicate that Schaub should be considered in the top 10.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #53
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90373 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Romo is capable of winning and losing more games. I'll take a more consistent Schaub I'd trust as a coach. Sure, i'm biased ,but i've seen Romo do a lot of incredibly bone headed things over the years.
Romo is the better talent, Schaub fits a system better.

They are two different types of QBs. Romo is a Favre-style gunslinger, high-risk, high-reward. Schaub is your classic West-Coast offense QB
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #54
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Schaub.

Romo does a lot of things really well, but he also Rosencopters his way into losses that should have been locked up. The guy has no feel for the situation he's in and plays just as risky when he's up by 17 as when he's down by 17. His gunslinger mentality has flat out lost games that were already decided and in the record book.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #55
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Seems to indicate that Schaub should be considered in the top 10.
I think he's in the conversation for top 10 at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post

They are two different types of QBs. Romo is a Favre-style gunslinger, high-risk, high-reward. Schaub is your classic West-Coast offense QB
Romo has the better arm , Schaub has the better brain ....

Old 08-30-2012   #56
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In this offense with kubiak working with him I'd take romo.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #57
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
In this offense with kubiak working with him I'd take romo.
Man , I know Romo is the better athlete .... just better physically , much better arm and mobility.

But I dont know if you can take the "risk taker" out of him ..... and this offense is all about removing risk and maximizing return. (this may be a factor in their redzone struggles).

Tough call ..... but it isnt a silly thought process by any stretch of the imagination. It could be the perfect marriage .... would be interesting to see.

Old 08-30-2012   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
How do we know this? Have we ever seen Romo in such a QB friendly system as we have here? Or have we seen Schaub in a system where they expect the QB to be a playmaker?

Quote:
I'd love to see Romo in a system like ours, with a Kubiak (a guy that doesn't expect the QB to do everything) behind him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Schaub.

Romo does a lot of things really well, but he also Rosencopters his way into losses that should have been locked up. The guy has no feel for the situation he's in and plays just as risky when he's up by 17 as when he's down by 17. His gunslinger mentality has flat out lost games that were already decided and in the record book.
& by the same token Schaub lacks a sense of urgency unless we're down by 17. On 3rd & 3 he'd throw the ball away if we're down by three with 1 minute left in the game.

I'm not going to say Romo is better than Schaub, but I'm not going to pretend Schaub is better than Romo. & as far as Romo throwing away games that were in the bag... if you're talking about last season, they were never in the bag with the way that defense played & their lack of a run game (for the most part). We've seen Schaub throw some doozies in similar situations.
Old 08-31-2012   #59
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 832 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans are not built around Matt Schaub. They’re quarterbacked by Schaub, but he doesn’t have the type of tools you build around. Schaub is the consummate “good” quarterback. He’s accurate, smart and moderately athletic. But he doesn’t have a cannon arm (not close) or an innate playmaking prowess when things break down. The longer Schaub holds the ball in the pocket, the less effective he becomes. That’s always a telltale sign of a limited quarterback.

This dose of blunt truth always prompts Texan fans to bring up Schaub’s stats: 4,770 yards and 98.6 passer rating in 2009; 4,370 yards and 92.0 rating in 2010; a rating of 96.8 in 2011. Impressive numbers. But they’re proof that Schaub is a good fit in Gary Kubiak’s system.

Kubiak’s system does not demand a lot of in terms of sheer physical talent. It’s a system that naturally allows the quarterback to be managed. (This is why the Texans were able to survive when fifth-round rookie T.J. Yates took over for the final month and a half last year.) It’s also a system that requires patient decision-making and consistent accuracy, which is why Schaub excels in it.

What the Texans must decide after this season is whether their system is strong enough to ultimately carry them to a Super Bowl. If they feel that it is and they believe Schaub can stay healthy, they’ll re-sign him. If there’s an inkling of doubt, they could find themselves searching for a franchise quarterback.

If any system is good enough to disprove the theory that you need a superstar quarterback to reach the Super Bowl, it’s Kubiak’s. Unlike Jim Harbaugh, who nearly led the 49ers and their “system quarterback” Alex Smith to the Super Bowl last season, Kubiak isn’t trying to go against the grain by orchestrating an old-fashioned power run offense. His scheme is perfectly designed for the increasingly finesse nature of today’s N.F.L.

Yet, it’s a scheme built around the run. Not just the run game itself, but also the threat of the run. Houston’s passing attack stems largely from run elements like play-action, bootlegs and rollouts. This is why so much of the Texans’ passing game takes place out of base personnel (whether it’s two backs and a tight end, two tight ends and a back or an H-back, running back and tight end). The Texans do a marvelous job using presnap motion and tight formation wrinkles to disguise their run/pass intentions and create favorable one-on-one matchups (in blocking and receiving) for fullbacks, H-backs and tight ends.
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...eason-preview/
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #60
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The longer Schaub holds the ball in the pocket, the less effective he becomes. That’s always a telltale sign of a limited quarterback.
I'd say Schaub aside these are ignorant statements. What is one of the most common criticisms of QB's? - he hold's the ball too long. That's because the OL can't protect forever and plays aren't designed for them to do so so QB's become less effective as more time passes. Conversely one of Peyton's most complimented traits is getting the ball out fast. When was the last time you heard a commentator talk about how long a QB held onto the ball for so long in the pocket and it wasn't a compliment to the OL rather than the QB?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read