Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2012   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub labeled "middle of the pack" (16-20 range)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Nothing but a losing record .....
Sometimes I wonder if some people are more focused on how good a player looks in a football uniform than what he actually does in that uniform.

I'm not saying that Eli is "elite" in this thread, but c'mon, diminishing his accomplishments when he's one of only 5 QBs in NFL history that have two SB MVPs? That's laughable analysis, to put it in respectful terms.
Old 08-29-2012   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Sometimes I wonder if some people are more focused on how good a player looks in a football uniform than what he actually does in that uniform.

I'm not saying that Eli is "elite" in this thread, but c'mon, diminishing his accomplishments when he's one of only 5 QBs in NFL history that have two SB MVPs? That's laughable analysis, to put it in respectful terms.
I have to wonder if his name wasnt Manning , would he get more respect ....

Who woulda thunk that Eli would have more rings and SB-MVP's than Peyton ....

Looking at the results , you have to put Eli up there with the elite group .... no two ways around it.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #23
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't read the article nor people's responses. I just looked at the tiers.

That said, this article has no validity in my mind's eye whenever you rank an unproven, untested rookie ahead and another unproven, untested rookie in the same tier as a guy that through for 9,000 yards over two seasons. And Joe Flacco? Are you kidding me?? A 5th round rookie QB had a chance to beat him in a playoff game at Flacco's yard.. In the words of the immortal Private John Winger, "Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! The hell's the matter with you? Stupid!"

As they would say in that lame BSPN segment, "C'mon Man!!"
Old 08-29-2012   #24
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

And if Schaub's injury history played a part, HELLO McFly!! As it turns out Mike Vick isn't the most durable guy out there. Romo?? Hilarious!!!

Another, New York City honk Muff-Hugga!

*EDIT*

Sumbitch must be a Giants fan because if he was a Jets fan, he would ranked Sanchez AND Tebow ahead of Schaub.

/endrant
Old 08-29-2012   #25
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34563 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy, for whatever the reason may be, can't stay on the field. Half a season with Schaub is not more valuable than entire season of Flacco, etc.

That's how I could justify middle-of-the-pack

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #26
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub should be in the Cutler/Romo/Ryan/Flacco level. Very good, but still has ?'s. Luck may be on that level now, but I highly doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Yep, Cam in the same category as Manning makes me want to hurl.
Cam accounted for 35 TDs and over 4700 yards as a rookie. Stats aren't everything. But Cam should improve in his 2nd year. I think we're looking at a league MVP before long. Peyton still has to prove he's still Peyton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
If it were me, I'd swap Peyton and Eli...
I agree. Peyton has to show he can get back to 80% of his former level. In the games I've watched, I haven't seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
here is a top five list of things i hate

5. Slideshows
4. Power Rankings
3. Polls
2. Lists
1. Irony
Oh, sweet Irony.
Old 08-29-2012   #27
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
The guy, for whatever the reason may be, can't stay on the field. Half a season with Schaub is not more valuable than entire season of Flacco, etc.

That's how I could justify middle-of-the-pack

TJ
It matters not. The Ravens and Texans were in the same exact spot this past January with a 3rd string QB, OH and BTW Schaub was what, when he went down? 7 - 3? (*ahem* should've been 8-2, thanks Jacoby v. the Raiders). And again, if injuries were a concern, than at the very least Schaub should've been in the same tier as Vick.

Why do I continue to read nonsensical garbage from hack writers during the (sorta) off-season is beyond me!!

Bill!
Old 08-29-2012   #28
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Listen, I don't have Schaub in my top 10 QB's, but I ("where do you slot him? - inside joke) do have him within 10-12(ish). 16-20 is asinine!
Old 08-29-2012   #29
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol! Playoff performance is not indicative of quality of QB?

Look, you can stick with your fantasy football stats, but bigger picture analysis should be inclusive of post-season performances, as well.

Eli just got a ring and MVP earlier this year. Yet Cam Newton is already better than him when he has earned nothing?
Oh, I wasn't saying I agreed with the guys rankings at all. Eli is way better than Newton. There is no question of that. I just see QB's like Eli/Big-Ben in a tier to their self when they should be in the same tier as Stafford, Cutler and Rivers.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #30
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 88409 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
And if Schaub's injury history played a part, HELLO McFly!! As it turns out Mike Vick isn't the most durable guy out there. Romo?? Hilarious!!!

Another, New York City honk Muff-Hugga!

*EDIT*

Sumbitch must be a Giants fan because if he was a Jets fan, he would ranked Sanchez AND Tebow ahead of Schaub.

/endrant

This dude has no idea what the hell he's talking about.

There are certain articles I will read and take them with a grain of salt if it's negative. Then, there are ones that I read and just shake my head, and quit reading, because the journalist has no idea what the hell he's talking about. This one falls in the latter category.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Look, you can stick with your fantasy football stats, but bigger picture analysis should be inclusive of post-season performances, as well.

Eli just got a ring and MVP earlier this year. Yet Cam Newton is already better than him when he has earned nothing?
Take that defense away.... better yet, swap Carolina's defense with New Yorks. We'd all have a different view of these QBs.

Personally, I am not sold on Eli Manning. I don't agree with the MVPs... but who am I?

I also think he's about right on Matt, so far.... give or take.
Old 08-29-2012   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It wasn't the case in the old days, but increasingly since 1978 the QB is the most important player on the field. The last decade, the QB is at such a premium that it's probably the #1 indicator of whether or not your team is going to be a winning one. So when a QB has Super Bowl wins, especially in the past decade, it probably means he's really damn good. There are exceptions to any rule, but none of the current QBs that have won SBs are an exception.
Based on the information you just provided, what can we say about Schaub? Think about his two healthy seasons.... What you just wrote puts him squarely in mediocre.
Old 08-29-2012   #33
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gregg Rosenthal ranked the following QBs ahead of Schaub, in order of tiers:

Rogers, Brady, Brees

Roethlisberger, Newton, PManning

EManning, Cutler, Rivers, Romo, Stafford

Vick, Ryan, Flacco, Luck

He ranked Schaub in the same tier with RG3, Dalton, Palmer, and Freeman.
This is comical. He ranks Newton after ONE season and 6 wins total???

The kid has talent but by no means is he in the same company as Pmanning.

Then he ranks Andrew Luck above Schaub? The dude needs to be kicked in the nuts and stripped of whatever liscense he has. Journalism liscense?? Hell I dont know...take his drivers liscense for all I care.
Old 08-29-2012   #34
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

If I had to rank the current QB's .... based upon what they have done at their position it woud look something like the following.

Peyton Manning.

Rogers , Brady , Brees , Eli Manning

Roethlisberger , Flacco , Schaub , Rivers

Cutler , Romo, Stafford , Vick

Ryan , Dalton , Palmer , Freeman , Newton

Luck , RG3

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #35
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99520 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

OK.. thanks for posting this and saving me time.

If playoffs and Super Bowls didn't mean much Warren Moon would always be mentioned up there with Joe Montana, John Elway, etc. However because Warren Moon was a choker that could never get it done when it mattered he will always be remembered as that guy that threw a pretty spiral and could rack up a ton of yards. However never in the same category as those other guys.

Also, that guy's list is a joke. Putting Eli where he put him is a disgrace and putting Andrew Luck (who has never taken an NFL snap when it matters) over Schaub is just as bad.

BTW where is Vince Young on that list??

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #36
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 114917 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

How I ranked them at the end of the 2011-2012 season:

Rodgers, Brees, Brady
----------------
Eli, Forehead, Stafford
-------------
Schaub, Rapistburger, Rivers
-------------
Romo, Cutler, Newton
-------------
Ryan, Flacco, Vick

Romo could be higher if he wasn't a choke artist.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #37
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68323 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is about 9-12th best QB in the league.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #38
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

10-15 range I'd say.

Could upgrade him, but not easily.
Old 08-30-2012   #39
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 833 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
How I ranked them at the end of the 2011-2012 season:

Rodgers, Brees, Brady
----------------
Eli, Forehead, Stafford
-------------
Schaub, Rapistburger, Rivers
-------------
Romo, Cutler, Newton
-------------
Ryan, Flacco, Vick

Romo could be higher if he wasn't a choke artist.
Cortland Finnegan, Josh Wilson, Michael Huff, Jabari Greer. Do these names ring a bell?
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Who woulda thunk that Eli would have more rings and SB-MVP's than Peyton ....
You look at that and the obvious conclusion you come up with is that Eli is "better" than Peyton... or even in the same league? What does that say about Warren Moon, Dan Foust (sp), & Marino??

The Giants have a better team than the Colts... that's all I take from that. As far as MVP goes.. which is an individual award, call me when Eli gets a league MVP. Not as prestigious, I know, but it includes all players... even those that did not qualify for the Super Bowl MVP.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read