Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2012   #1
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60755 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans hype train thread!

A thread for all the pre-season hype that is forthcoming. I keep reading and watching videos of insiders who are just enamored with the Texans this year. While part of it makes me extremely nervous another part of me keeps saying "We finally made it!"

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap...content_stream

NFL:AM crew all picks us as the divsion winner and calling the Texans the deepest team in the NFL with legimate chances of hoisting the Lombardi!

All aboard the hype train!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hype train thread!

Posey and Moran Norris to see more playing time per Chronicle and Posey has been fight off a sore calf muscle. Beck to play first half with Keenum second. I was hoping to see Case with starters in first half. Oh, well.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...final-qb-spot/
Old 08-29-2012   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I've been stuck in Virginia, for a work related project, for the last few weeks. I wear my red Texans hat every day & a T-Shirt every now & then.

Out here, the optimism for the Texans is really high. There is much respect for Schaub & many people here thinks we would have been in the Super Bowl had he been able to play.
Old 08-29-2012   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143455 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Posey and Moran Norris to see more playing time per Chronicle and Posey has been fight off a sore calf muscle. Beck to play first half with Keenum second. I was hoping to see Case with starters in first half. Oh, well.

Well , there may be something to those Posey to IR discussions afterall ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Well , there may be something to those Posey to IR discussions afterall ....
You are not implying that an NFL coach would IR someone without a legitimate injury are you? If you don't, I will.
Old 08-29-2012   #6
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

Don't see how this has anything to do with the hype train
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap...content_stream

NFL:AM crew all picks us as the divsion winner and calling the Texans the deepest team in the NFL with legimate chances of hoisting the Lombardi
a couple things stood out to me in that video. the first was saying that the colts are building to try and beat the texans. after 10 years of the reverse, that just makes you feel good. i also liked the statement, "these guys let more talent go than several teams have". after so long having our releases leaving the nfl when they couldnt make it on the texans, that's another thing which makes it seem like we're there or at least close to it.
Old 08-29-2012   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm actually starting to think they won't IR Posey. I mean, by all accounts the thing that has held him back is being away from football, right? Hamming up an injury and sitting on the sideline all year isn't it, would he even be able to practice? I think even as a backup he's got a better shot at developing into something next year and the year after.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143455 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I'm actually starting to think they won't IR Posey. I mean, by all accounts the thing that has held him back is being away from football, right? Hamming up an injury and sitting on the sideline all year isn't it, would he even be able to practice? I think even as a backup he's got a better shot at developing into something next year and the year after.
Thats been my argument against him going to the IR .... keeping him away from football for a second consecutive year. Thats a big risk for such a young player and the investment the Texans have in him being a 3rd round pick.

I said it in another thread - I expect Posey to be this years Brandon Harris. He'll be on the 53 but wont suit up on gamedays.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Being on the ir in the NFL is not the same as being suspended in college.

He can still be a part of what's going on mentally and he can still work on his conditioning and strength.

Look at Lestar Jean.

I doubt they'll ir him though. One injury and you might need him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #11
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60755 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/poll...redictions#top

ESPN Sportsnation Poll. Going from the comments most people are picking the Texans vs Packers/Niners/Bears in Superbowl.

Of course you have the entire NE part of the country voting for the Pats. Which is probably giving everyone at NESPN a boner.
Old 08-30-2012   #12
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Being on the ir in the NFL is not the same as being suspended in college.
In Posey's case, it was effectively exactly the same. During his suspension at Ohio State, Posey was reported to have attended practices and "helped out the younger receivers". I don't whether he sat in on meetings or not, but surely if he was at practices, he would have been allowed to sit in on meetings also.
Old 08-30-2012   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

An in depth article from this morning's New York Times.
LINK

Some of the more interesting comments:
Quote:
But all of the genuinely significant contributors are back, and with the Colts rebuilding from the ground up, the Titans searching for an identity and the Jaguars hoping to win with an offense that can’t throw, Houston’s path back to the top of the division is about as wide open as they come.
Quote:
The Texans are not built around Matt Schaub. They’re quarterbacked by Schaub, but he doesn’t have the type of tools you build around. Schaub is the consummate “good” quarterback. He’s accurate, smart and moderately athletic. But he doesn’t have a cannon arm (not close) or an innate playmaking prowess when things break down. The longer Schaub holds the ball in the pocket, the less effective he becomes. That’s always a telltale sign of a limited quarterback.
Quote:
Kubiak’s system does not demand a lot of in terms of sheer physical talent. It’s a system that naturally allows the quarterback to be managed. (This is why the Texans were able to survive when fifth-round rookie T.J. Yates took over for the final month and a half last year.) It’s also a system that requires patient decision-making and consistent accuracy, which is why Schaub excels in it.
There's much more there. This is definitely the best, most in-depth article I've seen this preseason regarding the Texans. Clearly there's some things in here folks will disagree with - but even the parts that you might disagree with are well thought out and thorougly explained.
Old 08-30-2012   #14
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Jamison Hemsley predicted the Cowboys over the Texans in the Superbowl.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview12/sto...edictions-2012

I would leave the state if that happened.
Old 08-30-2012   #15
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 87098 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's roll...........
Old 08-30-2012   #16
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=nfl_t11_a0

Quote:
16. With a strong comeback season from quarterback Matt Schaub in a contract year, and even more disruptive young talent on defense in the form of rookie outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus, the Texans will build solidly on the success of 2011, winning the AFC South again and returning to the playoffs. Once there, with a healthy Schaub this time, Houston will make some serious postseason noise (that's called a teaser for my Super Bowl pick, due out at SI.com Tuesday).
Banks has always been somewhat critical of us but damn!
Old 08-30-2012   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
An in depth article from this morning's New York Times.
LINK

Some of the more interesting comments:

Kubiak’s system does not demand a lot of in terms of sheer physical talent. It’s a system that naturally allows the quarterback to be managed. (This is why the Texans were able to survive when fifth-round rookie T.J. Yates took over for the final month and a half last year.) It’s also a system that requires patient decision-making and consistent accuracy, which is why Schaub excels in it. .
What about David Carr in 2006?

What about John Beck and Rex Grossman with the Skins last year?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunno about 'hype train, but I can dig this train...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zpGfxgPEQY
Old 08-30-2012   #19
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 57173 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Dunno about 'hype train, but I can dig this train...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zpGfxgPEQY
Different strokes I recon. That was before remotes and I can remember pulling muscles jumping up to change the channel as quickly as possible. Biggest waste of air time I've ever seen. JMO, of course.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Different strokes I recon. That was before remotes and I can remember pulling muscles jumping up to change the channel as quickly as possible. Biggest waste of air time I've ever seen. JMO, of course.
I know, I agree. I just think it's funny stuff now

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read