Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2012   #61
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: REPORT: Keenum vs. Beck, Thur. night, to win the QB3 job

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Eh, VY was 24-7 on the radio stations for a little while, especially while bandwagon fans were riding the Titans jock because he went to the playoffs as a rookie and always had a good game in Reliant. I haven't heard nearly as much cognitive dissonance with re: Keenum on the radio this preseason. I don't think anybody is really going to clamor for him to come in, in Schaub's place during a regular season game.
It's similar, but not as prevalent. The only other fringe player on this team getting this much attention is Trindon Holliday, and he scored 3 TDs so far. I think that's deserved, Keenum not so much.

On the radio on the way home today it was UoH people calling about Keenum vs Beck, and how Case was gonna make a statement tonight. Personally, I don't think he did much to help himself tonight. He hasn't done anything to warrant the attention he has gotten so far (except college stats I guess), his preseason performance has been nothing special, yet he has all the Cougar fans pumping him up. Just off the top of my head here a few of the excuses I have heard so far:

They don't want to let him shine so other teams won't pick him up off the wire!
They won't let him throw on 1st down! (as if it's so much harder to make completions on 2nd and 3rd)
He has to play with third stringers, so that's why he's not doing well
If that was Andre, he would have made that catch!
The coach won't let him air it out
His o-line is full of backups and they suck!
etc etc...
This doesn't sound familiar to anyone else?

Of course, the fan club doesn't want to acknowledge his mistakes. Instead they focus on trashing Beck in order to make an argument for him to make the 53. He might make the team, but given the way people around here are swooning over him, I kind of hope he doesn't, but the jury is still out on this Case. If Schaub does go down this season, I fully expect a Yates/Keenum city-wide debate ala Schaub/Rosenfels 2008. I don't really want the team to deal with that, so I'd rather see something else happen, like move forward with only two QBs.

Anyways, sorry to interrupt the Keenum lovefest, carry on.
Old 08-30-2012   #62
Joeycharp89
Veteran

Rep Power: 651 Joeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't think Case was ever going to make the 53. Beck needed to blow Kubiak away tonight, convince him to keep 3 QBs on the 53, which would probably also prevent us from putting Case on the PS.

I didn't watch the game, but from reading the threads, I don't think Beck blew anyone away.

he's gone.
I agree with this. With how much potential depth we have at other positions I don't see us running 3 QBs. And I don't see the point of keeping Beck on the PS over Case. He's playing at a similar level as Case, but with less potential upside.
Joeycharp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #63
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Come on Dutch, how the heck can you compare the support for Keenum with the love fest for VY.

UT fans (as well as several non-UT fans) were crowning him as one of the greatest ever before he ever played a down in the NFL.

Those who pulled for Keenum mostly think he goes to the PS, with an outside chance to make the team as the #3 QB.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #64
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 18083 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Come on Dutch, how the heck can you compare the support for Keenum with the love fest for VY.

UT fans (as well as several non-UT fans) were crowning him as one of the greatest ever before he ever played a down in the NFL.

Those who pulled for Keenum mostly think he goes to the PS, with an outside chance to make the team as the #3 QB.
Doesnt take many crazies to drown out the rational folks. Ive been told it'll be a great miscarriage of justice if Case is anything less than QB 2 and "probably starting by midseason after a Schaub injury."
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #65
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17026 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

we should only carry 2 QB's and use the extra spot 4 someone else

this is a make or break year for Schaub if he cant stay healthy and yates cant run da ship our season will tank fast and we will be in the top 10 draft pick looking to draft our QB of the future
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW, Dutch, I don't know if you're up to it or not, but I was hoping you can put up the 3 long pass plays:

1. Beck to Martin (the drop) at 7:02 in the first.

2. Keenum to Posey at 11:22 in the third

3. Keenum to Iglesias at 2:57 in the fourth.

I'd like to compare 1 and 2

On (1) Martin lined up in the slot and ran a wheel route down the left side line.
At the 6 sec mark, Beck's ball went some 37 yards from the LOS.
To me, that was late. Martin had to wait forever.

On (2) Posey lined up outside the numbers and ran an up and out (and up).
At the 6 sec mark, Keenum's ball went some 43 yards from the LOS.
Posey couldn't catch up to it.

Martin's route takes longer to run, and yet Beck was late with the ball.

Posey's route is shorter but he couldn't catch up to the ball.
At the 6 sec mark, I would say, a majority of NFL speed receivers (as opposed to the big but slower ones) should get there.

I have timed these simliar routes with Patrick Edwards (UH) and Kendall Wright (Baylor) a few times.
I know both of those guys got there in that time frame.

On (3) was when the local broadcast switched to channel 13.2
They mentioned it very quickly before going to the RNC.
I was able to watch the rest of the game, but didn't have my capture card switched (too lazy) to record those last few minutes.
I will just have to wait for torrent since I don't subscribe to PS games on NFL.

At any rate, it was another long ball down the left side line.
Iglesias wanted a PI, but maybe the refs deemed the ball uncatchable.
I want to see that play again to compare with the other two.
Old 08-31-2012   #67
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290332 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't think Case was ever going to make the 53. Beck needed to blow Kubiak away tonight, convince him to keep 3 QBs on the 53, which would probably also prevent us from putting Case on the PS.

I didn't watch the game, but from reading the threads, I don't think Beck blew anyone away.

he's gone.
I thought Beck looked really good. I thought he looked like he had a good command of the offense. He made some good throws.

The guy went 6-10 and only two of those incompletions didn't look good: a floater that KMart should have caught for a big gain and a short hop to Supernaw. Jean dropped a ball in the end-zone; it would have been a great catch because it was behind him to keep from getting picked off, but he should have caught it. And Norris dropped one that hit him right in the hands.

I think he played his way on to the 53.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2012   #68
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I thought Beck looked really good. I thought he looked like he had a good command of the offense. He made some good throws.

The guy went 6-10 and only two of those incompletions didn't look good: a floater that KMart should have caught for a big gain and a short hop to Supernaw. Jean dropped a ball in the end-zone; it would have been a great catch because it was behind him to keep from getting picked off, but he should have caught it. And Norris dropped one that hit him right in the hands.

I think he played his way on to the 53.
I thought Beck looked good as well. Even on the TD pass to Posey he had pressure right in his face, got his head around and delivered a nice ball. He didn't even know the play broke for a while because he was still on the ground. Was he Schaub sharp? No, but I came away impressed.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #69
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

It'll be a tough call on Beck. He looked good, but we're going to be carrying 6 WRs. That makes it hard to allow an extra spot any where else. I think we only carried 4 WRs last year.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #70
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
It'll be a tough call on Beck. He looked good, but we're going to be carrying 6 WRs. That makes it hard to allow an extra spot any where else. I think we only carried 4 WRs last year.
We carried 4 going into the season, but we also carried 4 backs because of Arian being hurt and I believe we carried 7 CBs. Its going to be a tough call.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #71
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17026 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

thats why i think we have no choice but to carry only 2 QB's we are going 4 the gussto this season this is trying to win a SB so we need all our best players on deck and John beck is not one of thoes
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
He might make the team, but given the way people around here are swooning over him, I kind of hope he doesn't, but the jury is still out on this Case. If Schaub does go down this season, I fully expect a Yates/Keenum city-wide debate ala Schaub/Rosenfels 2008. I don't really want the team to deal with that, so I'd rather see something else happen, like move forward with only two QBs.
Right now, Schaub is good. Not great. Not elite. I think he can change that this season. He's got a really good team & a lot of good hands on offense; Andre, Walter, Arian, OD, Casey. Then there are the kids... Posey, LeStar, KMart, Graham. Hopefully he can show us that he is our QB of the future.

If not, I think it's up to Yates to shut up the UH fan club. If Schaub goes down, he's got to play better than he did last year & make sure there is no doubt that he is the starting QB.

Pressure from Keenum (& his fanboys) is only going to help us find out if Yates is the guy. In my mind, if that kind of pressure keeps Yates from performing at his best, then he's not the guy we need & it's better to find out now rather than go into the off-season in limbo.

If Schaub doesn't finish this season healthy, I'd like to know if Yates is the guy or not. I'm sure the coaches would have a good idea based on practice or what not, but we don't have that luxury.
Old 08-31-2012   #73
76Texan
Hall of Fame

For the record, I like Schaub and Yates.

I'd like to see Schaub taking the team deep into the play-offs.

I like Yates, but I'm not sure he has IT.
Like Schaub, Yates doesn't need to have IT for the team to win, but he needs to improve (just like Schaub has been doing).
Old 08-31-2012   #74
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36629 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point, with the injuries to the offensive line, and the fact that tricycle earned a spot, I think Gary puts Schaub and Yates on the 53, cuts Beck and Keenum and hopes he can resign Case to the PS.

The Beck-Keenum battle was a wash, and after 4 preseason games where the O-line looked as porous as a screen door I think the entire "potential" superbowl run is jeopardized by the fact that there's no QB protection and Foster wasn't getting the type of yardage he normally does when the #1's were in..

The o-line thing is the most frightening aspect of it all. Bad o-line means Schaub doesn't last the entire year, and I believe one of the reasons Yates looked so bad was that he was not getting the usual time he was accustomed to.

Just hope the other 31 teams think that Case is as bad of an NFL QB as the vast majority of people on here do.

16 pass attempts in 4 games gives us a chance to hold onto him as he really didn't get much on film. In his previous gig, he would get 16 pass attempts in one quarter ;o)

T
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #75
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
16 pass attempts in 4 games gives us a chance to hold onto him as he really didn't get much on film. In his previous gig, he would get 16 pass attempts in one quarter ;o)

T
Yep. Nobody will claim him because he definitely had little film on himself.

I think we keep Beck as QB3, Case to the PS. Kubiak won't dare go into the season with only two QBs. IMO.
Old 08-31-2012   #76
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Yep. Nobody will claim him because he definitely had little film on himself.

I think we keep Beck as QB3, Case to the PS. Kubiak won't dare go into the season with only two QBs. IMO.
I think this is the most likely scenerio as well.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #77
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
thats why i think we have no choice but to carry only 2 QB's we are going 4 the gussto this season this is trying to win a SB so we need all our best players on deck and John beck is not one of thoes
Did you bother to watch ALL the preseason games? Yates was horrible!! YEA, I know he played mostly with the scrubs, BUT, he should have played a LOT better, regardless! We go into this season with 2 QBs and Matt goes down, we can kiss another season goodbye!

Kubiak would be the dumbest coach in the NFL if he goes into what is SUPPOSE to be our best year, with only MS, and a second year kid who only played HALF the year off the PS himself. Beck or Case, I don't care. Put SOMEONE on the PS and make him work his butt off!! JMO!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #78
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 75558 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
In my eyes I thought Beck looked like he was comfortable and makes nice throws under heat. Keenum is a PS QB at this point...may be all he will ever be. Upside is Ty Detmer. The Texans may even sign some other cut QB to their PS over him.

These are my thoughts also.

This will not help us make many friends here.

Old 08-31-2012   #79
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
These are my thoughts also.

This will not help us make many friends here.

I HATE YOU!!!!111!!

I'm thinking they stash Keenum on the PS. I just worry he might get snatched up by someone very short on QBs. I might also be worrying to much. I hope we manage to keep him.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #80
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Did you bother to watch ALL the preseason games? Yates was horrible!! YEA, I know he played mostly with the scrubs, BUT, he should have played a LOT better, regardless! We go into this season with 2 QBs and Matt goes down, we can kiss another season goodbye!
Kubiak would be the dumbest coach in the NFL if he goes into what is SUPPOSE to be our best year, with only MS, and a second year kid who only played HALF the year off the PS himself. Beck or Case, I don't care. Put SOMEONE on the PS and make him work his butt off!! JMO!!
If Matt goes down it's not going to matter how many backup qb's we have on the roster, we won't be going to the superbowl. You can add 31 other teams that will not go to the superbowl if their starting QB goes down.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read