Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2012   #41
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: REPORT: Keenum vs. Beck, Thur. night, to win the QB3 job

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It'll either be good, or it'll be bad.

Spread offense QBs (Chase Daniel, Drew Brees, Brandon Weedum, Graham Harrell, Kevin Kolb, Case Keenum) they either translate to the NFL or they don't.

I think Beck will be the QB3 when the dust settles. Case to the PS, then see what he can do next camp. That's my most recent prediction. Will be interesting to see how it plays out tonight and on Friday when cuts are announced.

Obviously I'd love for Keenum to win the job. But he has to earn it. And I just think he's not there yet. Close, but not yet.
This is what I've been saying for a while now.

I think Beck is the QB3 if we were to start the season right now. I think that Kubes is going to want an experienced guy he can trust a little bit in that QB3 spot. And by "a little bit", I mean he's not going to expect the guy to do a lot.

And after last year, I don't think he wants to go without a QB3.

So that means Beck.

But if Case comes out and shows some masterful control of the offense, Beck is gone. "Masterful control" doesn't mean making a bunch of passes for big plays. "Masterful control" doesn't mean dazzling us by doing stuff after the plays break down. "Masterful control" means making the right reads and audibles to get us into the right plays and throwing to the correct receivers in his reads.

So Case doesn't have to light it up and set the world on fire to become the QB3. He just has to look like a really good vet who can outplay Beck within the system of the offense.

I don't expect Case to do that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Russel Wilson can be a starter for the Seahawks, Keenum can be the #3 QB for the Texans - if he performed up to par, that is.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #43
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This is what I've been saying for a while now.

I think Beck is the QB3 if we were to start the season right now. I think that Kubes is going to want an experienced guy he can trust a little bit in that QB3 spot. And by "a little bit", I mean he's not going to expect the guy to do a lot.

And after last year, I don't think he wants to go without a QB3.

So that means Beck.

But if Case comes out and shows some masterful control of the offense, Beck is gone. "Masterful control" doesn't mean making a bunch of passes for big plays. "Masterful control" doesn't mean dazzling us by doing stuff after the plays break down. "Masterful control" means making the right reads and audibles to get us into the right plays and throwing to the correct receivers in his reads.

So Case doesn't have to light it up and set the world on fire to become the QB3. He just has to look like a really good vet who can outplay Beck within the system of the offense.

I don't expect Case to do that.
I think I disagree with all of that.

I think kubiak wants to keep case no matter what, but would prefer to ps him. I think beck has to play his way on the roster tonight and convince kubiak to carry 3 qb's.

If it comes down to Keenum or beck playing you might as well go with the young guy with room to grow than beck who is not going to take your team anywhere anyways.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #44
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
If Russel Wilson can be a starter for the Seahawks, Keenum can be the #3 QB for the Texans - if he performed up to par, that is.
That sounded like something John Madden would say on MNF.

"That Case Keenum kid. I tell ya' what, he's somethin' else. If Russell Wilson can be the starter for the Seahawks, then Case Keenum can be the third Quarterback in Houston. Know what I mean, Al?"

Al chuckles and seques into commentating on the action on the field.
Old 08-30-2012   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think I disagree with all of that.

I think kubiak wants to keep case no matter what, but would prefer to ps him. I think beck has to play his way on the roster tonight and convince kubiak to carry 3 qb's.

If it comes down to Keenum or beck playing you might as well go with the young guy with room to grow than beck who is not going to take your team anywhere anyways.
Well, that depends on Kubiak's tolerance level for the potential to see spotty, rookie QB performance in a crucial season like we have right now. I think the Matt Leinart turfing incident in Jax really unnerved Kubiak...it sure as hell rattled all of us.

John Beck might be that Sage Rosenfels type of guy that Kubiak leans on rather than a rookie gunslinger. He's got that in TJ Yates if he wants that. IMO.
Old 08-30-2012   #46
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 7818 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected

Beck got his half in. He looked solid. Missed on a couple of throws, but also made a couple of nice completions under pressure. Nothing very far down field, but no major mistakes.

If Beck already had the lead, Case is really going to have to show something special in the second half to overtake him.
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #47
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
Beck got his half in. He looked solid. Missed on a couple of throws, but also made a couple of nice completions under pressure. Nothing very far down field, but no major mistakes.

If Beck already had the lead, Case is really going to have to show something special in the second half to overtake him.
No way! Case already has the job!

Has the 2nd half started yet?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2012   #48
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly...I'm so tired of hearing about Keenum that I hope he gets cut. I couldn't imagine an entire year(s) of this. Yes the world revolves around me. Get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #49
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think that Case was ever very likely to make the 53. I'd have liked to have seen it happen but after watching the way he's played this preseason and the specific opportunities he's been given by the coaches I think they intended to sit him on the practice squad pretty much from day one barring him pulling some Clark Kent/Superman transformation.

Beck has been put in a position to show what he can do. Keenum has been given fewer opportunities with fewer assets to work with. I don't think that's a particularly bad thing in this situation. He'll get a year of work on the practice squad and come back either ready to seize his own spot on the roster or not.
Old 08-30-2012   #50
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Honestly...I'm so tired of hearing about Keenum that I hope he gets cut. I couldn't imagine an entire year(s) of this. Yes the world revolves around me. Get over it.
I agree. It's slightly less annoying than VY fanboys.
Old 08-30-2012   #51
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

Oh please, gimmie a break. It's nothing like the VY situation, not even close.
Old 08-30-2012   #52
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I hoped Case would have got to show more. Hopefully he can develop more skills on the practice squad.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #53
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Eh, VY was 24-7 on the radio stations for a little while, especially while bandwagon fans were riding the Titans jock because he went to the playoffs as a rookie and always had a good game in Reliant. I haven't heard nearly as much cognitive dissonance with re: Keenum on the radio this preseason. I don't think anybody is really going to clamor for him to come in, in Schaub's place during a regular season game.
Old 08-30-2012   #54
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Over-reaction statement of the year award.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #55
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Oh please, gimmie a break. It's nothing like the VY situation, not even close.
Of course, not, but he has been overtalked about considering he is a marginal NFL prospect.
Old 08-30-2012   #56
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Of course, not, but he has been overtalked about considering he is a marginal NFL prospect.
Well sure he has. I imagine every "hometown hero" gets that treatment when he signs to play with his hometown's NFL team. VY was like that example taken to an off-the charts level.

Case just illustrates how far apart the college and pro games are. He was an unbelievable college talent and is at best a developmental project at this level.

People pull for underdogs. They pull for them even harder when they know them.
Old 08-30-2012   #57
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt anyone will snap up Keenum when he is waived.

Not real sure he will beat out a few of the others to make our PS.

We need someone on the PS that can eventually leapfrog Yates.

I don't think Keenum can do that.

Old 08-30-2012   #58
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 15013 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Disagree with that..

The difference between Beck and Keenum tonight was that Posey took his slant 80 yards to the endzone, and Norris dropped the slant pass from Keenum that hit him right in the hands.

If Norris holds on and Posey gets tackled, Keenum and Beck are both 6 of 10 for about 50 yards.

Posey scores on a fantastic tackle-breaking run and Beck is a lock to make the team and Keenum is a roll of the dice to make the practice squad?

Don't see it.. Hopefully our coaches aren't thinking that way..

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I doubt anyone will snap up Keenum when he is waived.

Not real sure he will beat out a few of the others to make our PS.

We need someone on the PS that can eventually leapfrog Yates.

I don't think Keenum can do that.

speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #59
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

In my eyes I thought Beck looked like he was comfortable and makes nice throws under heat. Keenum is a PS QB at this point...may be all he will ever be. Upside is Ty Detmer. The Texans may even sign some other cut QB to their PS over him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtexas View Post
Keep 2 QBs, it is extremely rare you get to the 3rd QB in a season. Don't waste a roster spot for a small upgrade over a FA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I don't think that Case was ever very likely to make the 53.

Beck has been put in a position to show what he can do.
I don't think Case was ever going to make the 53. Beck needed to blow Kubiak away tonight, convince him to keep 3 QBs on the 53, which would probably also prevent us from putting Case on the PS.

I didn't watch the game, but from reading the threads, I don't think Beck blew anyone away.

he's gone.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read