Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-27-2012   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Derek Newton named the starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I am getting DirecTV and a DVR today. The irritating thing about that is I didn't have it for the game on Saturday. There was one play where I believe Newton was called for holding. If anyone could post that video, I'd be most appreciative. He flipped the defender completely over. I laughed my ass off at the time. If you're going to hold, that's the way to do it, LOL.
The play I saw he got called for holding, he had his hands outside the defender's shoulders as the RB ran around him. However, the defender didn't make a play on the RB & it didn't "look" like a hold to me. I don't think that gets called in the regular season.
Old 08-27-2012   #22
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
The play I saw he got called for holding, he had his hands outside the defender's shoulders as the RB ran around him. However, the defender didn't make a play on the RB & it didn't "look" like a hold to me. I don't think that gets called in the regular season.
That's not the play I'm thinking of at all then. Maybe it wasn't the holding play, but it was pretty cool, whatever it was.
Old 08-27-2012   #23
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

The game is airing on nfl network right now
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #24
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Think I just seen the play when he threw 94 on the ground on a foster run
Old 08-27-2012   #25
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
Think I just seen the play when he threw 94 on the ground on a foster run
I don't have NFL Network for another 30 minutes to an hour! Aauugh!

What is the approximate quarter and time of the play?
Old 08-27-2012   #26
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

First quarter think the time was 8.25 left in the quarter
Old 08-27-2012   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
First quarter think the time was 8.25 left in the quarter
Much appreciated! I plan to get the All-22 package, so I should be able to go back and watch it again. If I can figure out how to post video, I will.
Old 08-27-2012   #28
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

No problem
Old 08-27-2012   #29
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Was I shocked when I heard this? Absolutely not... but back when camp started, had you told me Newton would get the gig over Butler, I would assume it would be because Butler was injured, or took over at LT after a Brown injury or something...didn't see this back then...

I thought this job was Butler's based on his experience and how well he was able to perform at left-tackle those four games Deewayne missed once upon a time... Very dissapointed that Butler couldn't go grab this job by the junk, because I've always thought of him as better than that...

As far as Newton goes, he has outdone Butler... has he been great? Nope... concerned about the position, but it was for sure the right decision going with Newton...an obvious one from what I've seen this preseason..

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I am getting DirecTV and a DVR today. The irritating thing about that is I didn't have it for the game on Saturday. There was one play where I believe Newton was called for holding. If anyone could post that video, I'd be most appreciative. He flipped the defender completely over. I laughed my ass off at the time. If you're going to hold, that's the way to do it, LOL.
(9:35 to go in the first) Newton threw the 43 DE to the ground and was called for holding.
Too bad, Foster couldn't make the cut to the right a little sooner.
There's some good blockings on the right side there.

If Foster was able to make that cut, perhaps Newton didn't have to hold. (It was still Newton's fault for losing the first step to the DE though).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #31
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Next year's first round pick - Jake Matthews, OT Texas A&M
Old 08-27-2012   #32
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Well, given the fact that Butler's been in the league since 2006, participated in numerous off season training programs, numerous training camps, started 4 games and been active for 42, and Newton's entering his second season, just completed his first off season training program, his second training camp, started no games, and been active for 14, it seems pretty obvious that even if it's a dead heat now (and I think Newton's looked slightly better to begin with), which one has the most upside down the road. Also one of them is under contract at a lower cost for a longer period of time.

I know you make the decision based on who the best player is right now, but when there's little to no difference, future upside, and contract considerations validly factor in to that decision.
This makes sense to me. Six yrs in the league and Butler has yet to distinguish himself.... All other things being equal, go with the guy with more "upside". And if he also happens to have less salary cap impact, well....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #33
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
Next year's first round pick - Jake Matthews, OT Texas A&M
No way he makes it to 32...
Old 08-27-2012   #34
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74062 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
No way he makes it to 32...
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #35
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe Newton does have more upside, and he will be good, but get ready to see some ugly hits on Schaub. I'm not looking forward to the Bills game now.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #36
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in the minority somewhat, but Newton hasn't been close to being what I thought he'd be. Gary talked about how raw he was and he is a little raw, but i see what he likes in him. He'll only get more comfortable now I think knowing he is the man and doesn't have to press. Playing on the line is kind of like anything else in you have to get in a lot of work in and he'll find his rhythm. Then the game will start to slow down for him. Newton will be fine.

Last edited by Texn4life; 08-28-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I'm in the minority somewhat, but Newton hasn't been close to being what I thought he'd be. Gary talked about how raw he was and he is a little raw, but i see what he likes in him. He'll only get more comfortable now I think knowing he is the man and doesn't have to press. Playing on the line is kind of like anything else in you have to get in a lock of work in and he'll find his rhythm. Then the game will start to slow down for him. Newton will be fine.
They may have Butler play every 3rd series for a while like they did with D. Brown his rookie year.

Newton most likely will have a few bumps along the road just like D. Brown did, but in the long term, it looks to me like he will be OK.

After rewatching the game several times, I feel quite comfortable with the O-line.

Graham also had a good game blocking.

We did have 240 yards and 24 points in the first half, after all.

The one time we were stopped short on 3rd and 2, it was with Ben Jones at C with the first team late in the half.
He did well overall, but on that play, he and Smith didn't have any push at all on the double-team block (and D. Brown whiffed as well).

Give the kids sometimes, I think that by the end of the year, we won't feel the sting of loosing Brisiel, Winston, and Dreessen (Or at least the sting will lessen).

I think we're good to go.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #38
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
They may have Butler play every 3rd series for a while like they did with D. Brown his rookie year.
Kubiak said today he doesn't want to do that with him. He said he's going to hand it to him and let him go with it. Of course it wouldn't be the first time he's been dishonest, but I think he'll only take him out if he's injured of if he's just getting his butt kicked in a game. He's going to roll the pocket so much, protect him and give him help in every way possible that I don't think it'll be as big a factor as most are making out of it.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #39
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am concerned also.

One thing about great line play is that time playing together can take an average line and make it a good line and a good line to a great line etc.

Hopefully we can put the same 5 guys out there for 16 games and when business time comes I think they'll have things together enough to make things work.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #40
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there anybody that can be had before the trading deadline?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read