Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2012   #21
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OL - color me concerned

I just don't understand why we just outright cut Winston...
Old 08-26-2012   #22
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33092 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #23
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33092 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Newton actually started tonight, and the announcers indicated at the beginning of the game that Kubiak had said Newton was currently leading the contest at RT. It appears that Butler did nothing in this game to change the coaches minds about that.
And on top of all of that, it seemed that Butler was playing more late in the game with the rest of the scrubs while Newt was resting up more on the sidelines, being saved for a more important engagement later on - Sept 9 in Reliant. At the start of TC they said the job was Butlers to lose, and apparently that's just what's happened.
Old 08-26-2012   #24
SouthSideTexan
HATER!!!!!

Section: 319 Row L
Rep Power: 400 SouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Butler wins the starting job, it might be a short season for Schaub. Every time I see Schaub go to the ground, my heart stops.
Old 08-26-2012   #25
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3596 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Butler was getting beat last night, and it suprised me so much at how bad that I was suprised to see his number on the jersey. Newton did a better job, and I think the smart thing is to play him, let him get the reps, and gel with the line in the same way the Brown did. He's going to look bad on some plays, but the potential is there to do well, given time.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #26
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Miami's strongside DE Cameron Wake gave Winston fits last year and I think he got 2 sacks against him ? So anyway he might start drooling when he gets his first look-see at the Texans' RT play in this preseason.
Old 08-26-2012   #27
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
This +1

Butler has been a big let down to me and Newton will start. Gardner is not any good at all.
What did Gardner not do that warrants your evaluation?
Old 08-26-2012   #28
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2679 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
What did Gardner not do that warrants your evaluation?
I've watched his play in all the preseason games and in practice. He doesn't move well and lacks strength in his hands. Gets beat all the time around the edge..
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #29
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The 2nd team Oline was a "virtual Oline".........invisible to the D. But beyond that. Yates seemed to cease to demonstrate any awareness to his surroundings when things broke down.
Still used to playing behind that brick wall from last season.
Old 08-26-2012   #30
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13094 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
To be fair the Saints were blitzing in the 2nd half and Yates didn't do a very good job of recognizing the packages and the RB's made some HORRIBLE decisions also. Sacks are not necessarily the fault of the OL solely.

I'm more concerned with the run defense than the run offense.
I'm the opposite. I'm not concerned with Run Defense-No Watt, No Cushing and No Cody. Once they get back or two of the three we'll be fine in Run Defense.

I'm very worried about the O-Line. I hope after a couple of "real" games they'll gel together and figure out how to make it work.
Old 08-26-2012   #31
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would go with Newton and try Brooks at RT . Butler ... IDK ... he seems to reach a buch . Newton and Brooks seem to be much stronger than Butler .
Old 08-26-2012   #32
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8236 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

In spite of the oline issues we moved the ball and scored 24pts in a half. That was inspite of the fumbles by the young guys. If they clean that up and I know no team is perfect and those things happen, but we will be fine in the passing game. I am hoping the run blocking gets better as the oline jells as a unit.

Run defense will be fine once Cush, Watt, and hopefully Cody get back in there.

We have to also remember Wade was keeping things very vanilla so our opponents don't see anything we didn't want them to see.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #33
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
I've watched his play in all the preseason games and in practice. He doesn't move well and lacks strength in his hands. Gets beat all the time around the edge..
I did not see any practices and have missed the last four minutes of each 4th quarter, but I have not seen many mistakes and believe he moves very well. I would like to see him at RT on Thursday in order to solidify his spot as the swing tackle.
Old 08-26-2012   #34
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8236 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Winston wasn't playing up the money he was being paid.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #35
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

The OL takes longer to gel than just one year but we'll see.
Old 08-26-2012   #36
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
In spite of the oline issues we moved the ball and scored 24pts in a half. That was inspite of the fumbles by the young guys. If they clean that up and I know no team is perfect and those things happen, but we will be fine in the passing game. I am hoping the run blocking gets better as the oline jells as a unit.

Run defense will be fine once Cush, Watt, and hopefully Cody get back in there.

We have to also remember Wade was keeping things very vanilla so our opponents don't see anything we didn't want them to see.
I honestly don't see an issue with the first group (whether with Newton or Butler was in there).

We shred the Saints for 240 yards in a half for God sake.

Outside of that sack he gave up, Butler was fine.
We actually had more subpar run plays to the left than to the right, and on the one to the right, it wasn't even Butler's fault.

In the second half, both Newton and Butler also did fine.

Of the sacks that we gave up:
- 2 were due to the call protection where nobody pick up the blitzer.
- One each was dut to Shelley Smith and Gardner.
- And one with the D-lineman responsible for by B. Jones.
He pull a stunt all the way around the edge. That's a long time. Yates needed to get that ball out sooner.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #37
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Was it me or did they not run any boots with Yates in? Seems like that would have allowed him to make more throws.
bhsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #38
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I honestly don't see an issue with the first group (whether with Newton or Butler was in there).

We shred the Saints for 240 yards in a half for God sake.

Outside of that sack he gave up, Butler was fine.
We actually had more subpar run plays to the left than to the right, and on the one to the right, it wasn't even Butler's fault.

In the second half, both Newton and Butler also did fine.

Of the sacks that we gave up:
- 2 were due to the call protection where nobody pick up the blitzer.
- One each was dut to Shelley Smith and Gardner.
- And one with the D-lineman responsible for by B. Jones.
He pull a stunt all the way around the edge. That's a long time. Yates needed to get that ball out sooner.
The one sack was on Smith. The one folks are putting on Gardner, should look at the play again.
Old 08-26-2012   #39
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The one sack was on Smith. The one folks are putting on Gardner, should look at the play again.
I'm not sure I followed you KT.

The one Gardner gave up, the defender #90 put on an edge rush and straight out beat him on the outside.

Yates fumbled the ball when the defender pulled on his arm.
Smith came back to recover the ball.

This was on 2nd and 10 with 3:34 to go.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #40
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I did not see any practices and have missed the last four minutes of each 4th quarter, but I have not seen many mistakes and believe he moves very well. I would like to see him at RT on Thursday in order to solidify his spot as the swing tackle.
That was the worst 4 minutes of football for the Texans offense .... both Butlet and Gardner allowed blow by's ... it reminded me of that comercial with HHWNBM lining up with no OL at all.

I was ready to cut the whole lot of them.

I thought Newton played pretty solid thruout the game. I wasnt very high on him coming into the season but he looks to be the better option.

Butler doesnt look like the same guy who filled in for Brown during his suspension.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read