Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2012   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default OL - color me concerned

I never thought Butler was an adequate replacement for Winston, and nothing he's done has swayed that opinion. For all the times I complained about Winston getting eaten by a speed rusher, I knew he was better than Butler. And Antoine Caldwell has disappointed from the beginning. It took me a while to recognize, but he's never going to develop into a solid starting OL.

I think Schaub can make them look decent in the passing game, because he generally gets the ball out pretty quick these days, but the cut back lanes for Foster are going to be iffy.
Old 08-25-2012   #2
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OL - color me concerned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I never thought Butler was an adequate replacement for Winston, and nothing he's done has swayed that opinion. For all the times I complained about Winston getting eaten by a speed rusher, I knew he was better than Butler. And Antoine Caldwell has disappointed from the beginning. It took me a while to recognize, but he's never going to develop into a solid starting OL.

I think Schaub can make them look decent in the passing game, because he generally gets the ball out pretty quick these days, but the cut back lanes for Foster are going to be iffy.
Our run game will suffer this year.
Old 08-25-2012   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

I said this last year, but Tate actually does better in a few select situations, because he tends to keep the run playside, whereas Foster is always looking to cut it back. This is one of those situations. Tate will just follow the blocking and hit the hole hard.

Before anyone has reading comprehension issues, I am NOT saying Tate is better than Foster or should start.
Old 08-25-2012   #4
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I said that the O-line concerned me after the first preseason game and I feel worse about it now. That right side better get their $hit together quick.
Old 08-25-2012   #5
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

The 2nd team O Line looked like dog **** out there, TJ got eaten up.
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
The 2nd team O Line looked like dog **** out there, TJ got eaten up.
Right. Which means the backups that are playing as starters have no real backups. Linemen never get hurt though, right? /crosses fingers
Old 08-25-2012   #7
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I said this last year, but Tate actually does better in a few select situations, because he tends to keep the run playside, whereas Foster is always looking to cut it back. This is one of those situations. Tate will just follow the blocking and hit the hole hard.

Before anyone has reading comprehension issues, I am NOT saying Tate is better than Foster or should start.
Tate may be a better runner - more explosive, quicker, better long-speed. He's
just not the pass receiver that Foster is.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2012   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The 2nd team Oline was a "virtual Oline".........invisible to the D. But beyond that. Yates seemed to cease to demonstrate any awareness to his surroundings when things broke down.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Tate may be a better runner - more explosive, quicker, better long-speed. He's
just not the pass receiver that Foster is.
Oh, I don't think he's a better runner. Foster's lateral acceleration is just out of this world sick. Pair that with his incredible vision and shifty way of shedding tackles, and you have the best back in the league. Unfortunately, I think he'd be better off with a man blocking scheme with this caliber of OL. When the ZBS is working, lots of average RBs can do well, and guys like Foster can be All-World. But when Caldwell, Butler, Wade Smith, Derek Newton, and whoever else is missing their assignments and the line as a whole is not passing off to each other and working well as a unit, the cut back lanes are screwed.

I'd just like to see Foster stay playside more often, I think - which he did on the TD run.
Old 08-25-2012   #10
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The 2nd team Oline was a "virtual Oline".........invisible to the D. But beyond that. Yates seemed to cease to demonstrate any awareness to his surroundings when things broke down.
I've said this on multiple occasions, I like TJ, but he's hit his ceiling. He isn't the future of this organization, not even close.
Old 08-26-2012   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Butler just got demoted .... and Newton stole his spot.

Butler looked horrible all night , even when going against the second teamers.

Gardner got abused by the second teamers too , Yates was under pressure almost every play.

Brandon Brooks didnt have a penalty tonight .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #12
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Would'nt mind seeing an O-lineman picked in the first or second round next year.
Old 08-26-2012   #13
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Gardner got abused by the second teamers too , Yates was under pressure almost every play.

This +1

Butler has been a big let down to me and Newton will start. Gardner is not any good at all.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait until this line gels.

I mean, it's hard to complain when they put up 240 yards and 24 points in a half.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #15
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

We should all hope Newton wins the job. He's dirt cheap and tied up for a few years. If Butler wins the spot, we have to worry about paying him again.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
We should all hope Newton wins the job. He's dirt cheap and tied up for a few years. If Butler wins the spot, we have to worry about paying him again.
Here's how I see it playing out. I think Butler wins the starting RT position but Newton is hot on his heals. I think Newton gets some playing time throughout the season and may even take the spot from Butler mid-season sometime. I think it's a pretty safe bet that Butler is gone at the end of this season and that Newton starts next year and that we draft an OT to be his backup in the 3rd or 4th round next year. If Butler wins the spot this year, it does not mean that we have to pay him again next year. He's a text book salary cap cut at the end of the season.

I really had high hopes for Butler this year and thought he'd be great at RT because he was finally getting his chance to start after being in the NFL for so long and due to it being a contract year for him, he's auditioning for every team in the league this year. I'm very disappointed in Butler at this point.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Would'nt mind seeing an O-lineman picked in the first or second round next year.
Yep. Last night sure brought this out for all to see the need.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #18
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1876 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's wait and see until after 2 or 3 regular season games before we write off the right side.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #19
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Newton actually started tonight, and the announcers indicated at the beginning of the game that Kubiak had said Newton was currently leading the contest at RT. It appears that Butler did nothing in this game to change the coaches minds about that.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #20
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

To be fair the Saints were blitzing in the 2nd half and Yates didn't do a very good job of recognizing the packages and the RB's made some HORRIBLE decisions also. Sacks are not necessarily the fault of the OL solely.

I'm more concerned with the run defense than the run offense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read