Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-25-2005   #1
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05
Default Starting O-line next year

I sure hope we get Shelton and lets just for a second assume we do, What will are starting O-line look like?

LT. Shelton
LG. Pitts
C. Wand/Wiegart/Mckinney
RG. Wand/Wiegrat (dont know if i spelled Wiegrat right but)
RT. Riley

I for one like that! IF Carr gets sacked or David cant run behind that they suck.
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #2
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

It will be the same starting line from last year, even if Shelton is signed.

Shelton is not that good, and Wand is improving.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #3
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange

So your saying a guy that Cards were thinking about trading for Herny ISNT GOOD ENOUGH TO START ON ARE LINE! If thats true just send Shelton to Buffalo for Henry if Shelton signs. Either hes the most overrated player EVER or your just flat wrong.
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans | Shelton to Visit - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 23 May 2005 18:29:51 -0700

Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports free agent OT L.J. Shelton (Cardinals) will visit with the Houston Texans later this week. They see Shelton as a left tackle and someone who can protect QB David Carr's blind side.

I doubt we sign him as a backup...
Old 05-25-2005   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, Wade will definitely be a starter at RT.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LINK

Meanwhile, at Halas Hall, offensive tackle L.J. Shelton passed his physical Tuesday morning, but the Bears will have to wait and see if they can sign him at a reasonable price. Kansas City, Jacksonville and Houston also are interested, and the Texans could plug Shelton into his familiar left tackle role almost immediately. The Bears probably would explore playing Shelton at guard.
Old 05-25-2005   #7
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
So your saying a guy that Cards were thinking about trading for Herny ISNT GOOD ENOUGH TO START ON ARE LINE! If thats true just send Shelton to Buffalo for Henry if Shelton signs. Either hes the most overrated player EVER or your just flat wrong.
Henry for Shelton didn't happen because Buffalo didn't feel like it was equal compensation, not because Arizona thought Shelton was just SOOO great that they would keep him until after the draft then cut him...

If Shelton is signed, he will likely take over for Wand at LT and will likely not be much of an improvement over him...The rest of the OL will stay the same as it was last year...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2005   #8
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

i saw of nflfans that Weigert, Walker and Wong were all possible June 1st cuts man i was like i dont think any of them will be gone. The only way wong is gone is if Boulware is coming to town in my opinion.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Wong and Weigert aren't going anywhere, Walker on the other hand...
Old 05-25-2005   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope this dude sees the other organizations and then sees what kind of first rate stuff we have here, hopefully that will convince him.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

I read somewhere he had a season ending knee injury last season or the season before I think, that worries me a little...
Old 05-25-2005   #12
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

what about todd wade??
Old 05-25-2005   #13
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Wade will definately be the starter at RT. As far as the Shelton for Henry deal DRek has it right. Arizona offered Shelton for Henry straight up, but Buffalo didn't feel that was a fair deal. They wanted Shelton and a 2nd Round pick I believe in exchange for Henry. Neither side budged much, and thats why the deal never went through. Its not very often that a team will let go of a young LT that they picked in the 1st Round without getting anything in return in terms of compensation. Obviously there are some questions surrounding Shelton, and Green and the Cardinals were willing to part ways with him. If we do pick him up hopefully he pans out.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Cards weren't "thinking" about trading Shelton for Travis Henry. They were trying to trade Shelton for Henry. Know what? The Bills weren't falling for it. Shelton's value is so high that Arizona just said "there's the door" and took the hit.

I believe I read that Shelton visited the Bills four times trying to sell that deal and they still wouldn't trade Henry for Shelton straight up.

I can't believe how many people in here think Shelton's going to step in and solve all of our LT problems.

Look at the facts guys. He was taken in the first round in 1999 but the Cardinals dumped him. He's a 7 year veteran and right in the middle of his best years but they dumped him. They tried to trade him for a solid but unspectacular second string running back on a team that needs a LT and couldn't do it. Letting him go eats up 3.3 million in their cap and yet they're fine with that? If I were Rod Graves I'd at least see if I could find someone out there willing to give me a 3rd rounder for him or something. Get a draft pick at least.

Left tackles are in enough demand that I can't imagine this guy could get the Cardinals something in return and yet that's exactly what happened. Anyone who thinks Shelton is anything more than depth here probably thought Gregg Randall was going to be the starting RT for the next 5-6 years.
Old 05-25-2005   #15
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
The Cards weren't "thinking" about trading Shelton for Travis Henry. They were trying to trade Shelton for Henry. Know what? The Bills weren't falling for it. Shelton's value is so high that Arizona just said "there's the door" and took the hit.
Really? This was posted by Vinny a couple of weeks ago:

Quote:
The Cardinals no longer have interest in Bills halfback Travis Henry. They seriously considered trading tackle L.J. Shelton to Buffalo for Henry, but they have changed their minds for two reasons. First, they see a great crop of running backs available in the draft. Second, they wanted Henry to play out the final year of his contract before giving him a big contract extension. Henry preferred to get his money now, and that's not a sell for the Cardinals.
Quote:
I can't believe how many people in here think Shelton's going to step in and solve all of our LT problems.
I think Shelton will be an improvement over Wand, and we needs lots of improving on our OL.
Old 05-25-2005   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I sure hope we get Shelton and lets just for a second assume we do, What will are starting O-line look like?

LT. Shelton
LG. Pitts
C. Wand/Wiegart/Mckinney
RG. Wand/Wiegrat (dont know if i spelled Wiegrat right but)
RT. Riley

I for one like that! IF Carr gets sacked or David cant run behind that they suck.
Wand has experience playing one position, LT. So you have a guy one year off of signing a new contract that got benched beating him out to end up playing one of two positions he has never played, backed up by a guy who has never played the position in one case, etc. So basically our OL is one guy from last year, one guy rejected from his position last year, two guys rejected from their teams period and well heck, who is the 5th guy. Yeah, that should a great OL--
Old 05-25-2005   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags

I think Shelton will be an improvement over Wand, and we needs lots of improving on our OL.
Great example of how far the Texans have come. Talk of a trade of two players, neither of whom would upgrade the Texans. Shelton for Henry.
Old 05-25-2005   #18
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Great example of how far the Texans have come. Talk of a trade of two players, neither of whom would upgrade the Texans. Shelton for Henry.
Concerning the OL we have come from 76 sacks in year one to 49 sacks in year three. That's great progress to you? Obviously we have improved in other areas, but not significantly enough on the OL. As far as Shelton not being better than Wand, that will be settled later (hopefully).
Old 05-25-2005   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes it was and sure enough the Cardinals took a RB in the 2nd round. So work out for me how Travis Henry wasn't good enough but "nothing" was? Forget this story out of Arizona that Vinny (who's knowledge I absolutely respect by the way) posted because this has no bearing at all when you're looking at why the Cardinals told Shelton to take a hike. Their decision to go with a rookie RB was about dollars, not about their sudden realization that Travis Henry just wasn't worth a player of Shelton's caliber.

Quote:
I don't think Shelton will be an improvement over Wand and I'm convinced that the line will be nearly unchanged in personnel this year. That I think will improve it.

Wish the season would get here so we could see who's right about this.
Old 05-26-2005   #20
wags
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That I think will improve it.
Our sack total should improve just from the simple change to short, quick passes. This change is an obvious effort to protect Carr from the OL's shortcomings.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read