Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2012   #1
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McNair PLEASE retract your statement about replacement refs

C'mon Bob I know you are taking the company line but I sure don't hear alot of the other owners making comments " no difference to me between replacement and real refs"

Did the other owners nominate you to be the spokesman? Did they tell you it would be a good idea to say that? It isn't a good idea. Don't trust them.

Anybody old enough to remember Renfro in the endzone for the Oilers and how big an effect the call made by the ref changed the game. We might have been waiting for our 2nd Super Bowl now if that call had gone the other way. We just think we have been getting a bad deal from the refs.

The real Refs are coming back.
The real Refs are human.
The real Refs have memories.
Why would you piss them off with the comment you made????

I think we may feel the payback from that comment somtime/s during the season.

If I were you I would backtrack and say " What I meant to say is ....."
Whatever you need to say to get the real refs on YOUR/Texans side.

Trust me we want them on our side not against us.

Just my opinion.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair PLEASE retract you statement about replacement refs

While I think I understand McNair's motivation behind the statement, it was not a wise one. The replacements suck, and when the real guys come back, it will not help the Texans' cause to have McNair's statement on record. It may not hurt, but it wont help.

Last edited by rmartin65; 08-24-2012 at 06:00 AM.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #3
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its just collective bargaining the league has been told not to rip these replacement refs. Its called negotiations.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Its just collective bargaining the league has been told not to rip these replacement refs. Its called negotiations.
Then Bob should let Roger handle the negotiations and shut up. Flat out dumb.
Old 08-23-2012   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob was better off with a "no comment".

Kinda like me posting drunk .... Im better off woth "no post."

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair PLEASE retract your statement about replacement refs

Cheese and rice people , this isn't the first time I've seen an ox in the ditch!!
Old 08-23-2012   #7
BullPenPhotos
Veteran

Rep Power: 28861 BullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respectedBullPenPhotos is a quality contributor and well respected

Well...You wouldn't want to have the "real" officials think that they are so much better because none of them are like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vctpSLt-Xfo
Try my All Purpose Spice Mix
Andys-Spice-Mix.com
BullPenPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2012   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
C'mon Bob I know you are taking the company line but I sure don't hear alot of the other owners making comments " no difference to me between replacement and real refs"

Did the other owners nominate you to be the spokesman? Did they tell you it would be a good idea to say that? It isn't a good idea. Don't trust them.

Anybody old enough to remember Renfro in the endzone for the Oilers and how big an effect the call made by the ref changed the game. We might have been waiting for our 2nd Super Bowl now if that call had gone the other way. We just think we have been getting a bad deal from the refs.

The real Refs are coming back.
The real Refs are human.
The real Refs have memories.
Why would you piss them off with the comment you made????

I think we may feel the payback from that comment somtime/s during the season.

If I were you I would backtrack and say " What I meant to say is ....."
Whatever you need to say to get the real refs on YOUR/Texans side.

Trust me we want them on our side not against us.

Just my opinion.
Wait, what?? You're so superhuman that you've never said anything that
BTW, didn't come out completely how you meant it??

In addition, Bob McNair is a business owner. Whether you agree or disagree with his comments, it's his business. Not yours, not mine!! You and I have the choice to agree or disagree, be a fan or not be a fan... That decision is on you!

*EDIT*

Maybe Gafftop, I misunderstood your point (AND there's a huge that could be the case, so don't get too indignent).
Old 08-23-2012   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
In addition, Bob McNair is a business owner. Whether you agree or disagree with his comments, it's his business.
Yes, but I'm his customer. And I have the right to complain when his comments could affect the product I pay for. If McNair's the sharp businessman he's purported to be, he'd zip it.
Old 08-24-2012   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Bob was better off with a "no comment".

Kinda like me posting drunk .... Im better off woth "no post."
I post better when I'm drunk.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Somehow, I get real sceeeeered when Bob agrees with Jeruh.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Yes, but I'm his customer. And I have the right to complain when his comments could affect the product I pay for. If McNair's the sharp businessman he's purported to be, he'd zip it.
Until they do, you don't have a right to complain!!! JMO! If you don't like the OWNER of the product, don't buy it! Remember Chick-fil-A? Liz Claybourn? JC Penny? ETC? Some folks don't like what the owners had to say so they quit buying the product. Not trying to argue, just saying it's HIS multibillion buck franchise and he can say what he wants.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #13
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Somehow, I get real sceeeeered when Bob agrees with Jeruh.
They're in agreement more often than not, aren't they?
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #14
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Anybody old enough to remember Renfro in the endzone for the Oilers and how big an effect the call made by the ref changed the game. We might have been waiting for our 2nd Super Bowl now if that call had gone the other way.
I'm old enough to remember that game and while I appreciate your sense of injustice about that particular play, the truth is that the Steelers manhandled the Oilers that day. They held Earl to 15 yards on 17 carries. That's not a typo. Earl Campbell. 15 yards for the day. 1.13 yards per carry.

The Steelers had 22 first downs to Houston's 11. The Oilers had 3 turnovers to the Steelers 2. The Oilers had 227 total yards to the Steelers 358.

Yes, Renfro caught a touchdown that would have tied the game in the third quarter if it had been properly counted, but the Steelers deserved to win that game. I have no doubt they would have won that game even if Renfro's catch had counted.

Renfro's Touchdown
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Until they do, you don't have a right to complain!!! JMO! If you don't like the OWNER of the product, don't buy it! Remember Chick-fil-A? Liz Claybourn? JC Penny? ETC? Some folks don't like what the owners had to say so they quit buying the product. Not trying to argue, just saying it's HIS multibillion buck franchise and he can say what he wants.
Then dont complain about Winston and Big B getting released.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #16
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering the officials have already publicly come out and said that they have long memories and that the replacement refs will never be forgiven, I'm not sure I'd twist the tail of those whose judgments could make/break my football team.
Old 08-24-2012   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh, ask any owner what they think of replacement refs and the answer will be the same. What else should we expect them to say when it's NFL (owners) vs refs

Are they right? Heck no, the refs suck. It's like believing anything that was said during the lockout last season. All BS
Old 08-24-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard the interview McNair did on tv about the refs and I didn't hear him say that. Matter of fact his line of thought seemed to be about what I felt about the situation.

He said that the Regular refs were obviously better, but he felt like the replacements were doing ok considering the circumstances and he felt like the longer they ref'd NFL games the better they'd get.

He felt like the replacements were being over analyzed in SOME cases even when they made mistakes that the reg refs make at times.

Basically he
1) made it clear reg refs were better
2) thought the replacements could/should improve with more experience
3) thought they were criticized too harshly at times
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Considering the officials have already publicly come out and said that they have long memories and that the replacement refs will never be forgiven, I'm not sure I'd twist the tail of those whose judgments could make/break my football team.
Then I guess it's in our best interests as Texans fans at this point to hope that the NFL keeps the regular officials locked out and we benefit from the recent memories of the scab refs in regular season games.

Maybe Bob knows something we don't, like the NFL might be willing to 'sacrifice' the 2012 season in order to get what they ultimately want: full time job officials and accountability among officials without the union breaking their balls about it.
Old 08-24-2012   #20
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Then I guess it's in our best interests as Texans fans at this point to hope that the NFL keeps the regular officials locked out and we benefit from the recent memories of the scab refs in regular season games.

Maybe Bob knows something we don't, like the NFL might be willing to 'sacrifice' the 2012 season in order to get what they ultimately want: full time job officials and accountability among officials without the union breaking their balls about it.
I'm not losing sleep over this, but every little bit helps. Why taunt the lion if that cage might come open?

I wonder about the bolded as well. Considering the harebrained things coming out (suggestions of one official on the field and the rest handled in the booth comes to mind), I worry that the NFL cares less about the games than the outcome of their negotiation.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read