Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2012   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Meet the Houston Texans: a team built for the Super Bowl

LINK

Quote:
The 2011 Houston Texans were the best team in football last year top to bottom: a team with no weaknesses.

We know they were, thanks to the statistical perfection of our Quality Stats. The 2011 Texans topped our Quality Stats Power Rankings.

In other words, they boasted the highest average ranking across the board in all our indicators, which measure teams in all aspects of those performances that win and lose games.

The 2011 Texans had game-breakers at all the skill positions on offense; young game-changing playmakers on defense; and solid units on both the offensive and defensive line.

You can see how they ranked in every single one of our Quality Stats below, available free to all CHFF visitors.

It was a team built for the Super Bowl, before losing productive QB Matt Schaub to injury after 10 games. Here's how they ended the year the toughest team top to bottom in each of our indicators.

If they can re-capture this statistical magic, the Texans are a very legit threat to win it all in 2012, maybe even a favorite.

Last edited by Vinny; 08-23-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: a tease and a link
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #2
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122435 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Meet the Houston Texans: a team built for the Super Bowl

JOYGASM!!!
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #3
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Always got to put things into perspective... injuries happen to all teams, it is how you deal with them and when in the season it happens... Take NY Giants, they lost just about half of their secondary in the preseason and lost a few other key players within the early part of the season, and they got thier guys back at the end of the season before they went on their run to win it all..
People say a 9-7 team lucked out to win the SB.. maybe yes, maybe not..
They got their guys back before the playoffs, and came together at the perfect time. Their D shut everyone down the last 5-6 games..so saying they limped into the playoffs is incorrect.. they got their guys back right before and then played the way they were supposed to...
Now with Houston, they lost guys in the middle and they never were able to play with the full compliment of players they should have had..so if they stay healthy, yes, they are a dangerous team.. but remember, if every team has their guys stay healthy too...who knows how things could play out...
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #4
gwallaia

Rep Power: 73392 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Yay! We Win on paper.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #5
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102457 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
Always got to put things into perspective... injuries happen to all teams, it is how you deal with them and when in the season it happens... Take NY Giants, they lost just about half of their secondary in the preseason and lost a few other key players within the early part of the season, and they got thier guys back at the end of the season before they went on their run to win it all..
People say a 9-7 team lucked out to win the SB.. maybe yes, maybe not..
They got their guys back before the playoffs, and came together at the perfect time. Their D shut everyone down the last 5-6 games..so saying they limped into the playoffs is incorrect.. they got their guys back right before and then played the way they were supposed to...
Now with Houston, they lost guys in the middle and they never were able to play with the full compliment of players they should have had..so if they stay healthy, yes, they are a dangerous team.. but remember, if every team has their guys stay healthy too...who knows how things could play out...
Yeah but not every team has our kind of talent IMO
Old 08-23-2012   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
In my way of looking at it there are plenty of teas that can beat us on any given Sunday. While this article and ones like it are a lot of fun to read (no sarcasm) the still have to play the games.

Nice article, no change recorded as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-23-2012   #7
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98612 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans are a QB away from the Super Bowl IMO.

I think Schaub can be that guy, but I doubt him lasting a whole season.

The era of a crappy QB with a great running game and defense taking the Super Bowl may be over. Even if it isn't, that formula isn't as viable as it was even five years ago.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2012   #8
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102457 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
In my way of looking at it there are plenty of teas that can beat us on any given Sunday. While this article and ones like it are a lot of fun to read (no sarcasm) the still have to play the games.

Nice article, no change recorded as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not saying our team can't be beaten any given Sunday, but how many teams could of done what we did last year. Losing our only WR threat and down to our 3rd string QB, many tems would of collapsed at that point, but we didn't.
Old 08-23-2012   #9
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not saying our team can't be beaten any given Sunday, but how many teams could of done what we did last year. Losing our only WR threat and down to our 3rd string QB, many tems would of collapsed at that point, but we didn't.
If I had to throw money down on AFC Champs I would probably put it on Houston's nose and I doubt many would argue. I'm just a show-me type I guess.

I felt the same way in '94 (I think it was) when many thought the Oilers were the AFC favorite.

I think we're on the same page here but my positivity is lacking a bit due to past disappointments.

Last edited by Showtime100; 08-23-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Showtime100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We played .500 football after Schaub went down. We beat the bungles in the playoffs. Probly the most impressive thing we did after Schaub went down was what our D did against Baltimore, but we still lost.

My best hope is that Schaub and AJ put two full seasons together starting right now and we get 2 Superbowls out of it.

Realistically, it's kind of a long shot, but then so is any one team ever winning it all...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251514 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

They like us! They really like us!
Old 08-23-2012   #12
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

When you have the Nr. 2 defense of the league, and a top 5 WR, a top 5 HB and a top 5 OLine and a pretty decent QB, of course you should be a Super Bowl contender. The thing with this team is health - especially Schaubs health. If most of our top guys can stay healthy I don't think any team shoud be favored against us...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
When you have the Nr. 2 defense of the league, and a top 5 WR, a top 5 HB and a top 5 OLine and a pretty decent QB, of course you should be a Super Bowl contender. The thing with this team is health - especially Schaubs health. If most of our top guys can stay healthy I don't think any team shoud be favored against us...
I don't know. The Pats, Giants, and maybe a few more might have something to say about that. I wouldn't bet against us either (with everyone healthy), but I bet some of those teams are still favored against us, whether they should be or not.

Heck, I wouldn't doubt if the Colts are favored against us and I'll be glad to see Luck on his backside.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Before we got to training camp and saw that Schaub really was healthy, I was really starting to get enamored of the idea of putting Schaub on the PUP list and having TJ start the first 6-7 games of the season. Then Schaub could come in down the stretch and be hopefully be healthy for the playoffs.

I figured TJ could do well enough in those first few games to put us in position for Schaub to come in and clean up.

Now, though, PUP is not an option. We've got to hope Schaub stays healthy the entire way through.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I am calling a Texans vs Giants Super Bowl barring injuries to Matt and/or Eli.
Old 08-23-2012   #16
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3606 LondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respected

As a new fan of the Texans I'm really excited for the coming season.... All I hear is good things about this team! I didnt know too much about them when I picked them but it certainly looks as tho they're going to give it a good crack this year.... Been watching vids.... The defense sure is fun to watch !
LondonTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #17
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonTex View Post
As a new fan of the Texans I'm really excited for the coming season.... All I hear is good things about this team! I didnt know too much about them when I picked them but it certainly looks as tho they're going to give it a good crack this year.... Been watching vids.... The defense sure is fun to watch !
I think it's awesome you came here when you had the whole league to choose from.
Old 08-23-2012   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonTex View Post
If you don't mind my asking, why did you choose the Texans to follow?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #19
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122435 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If you don't mind my asking, why did you choose the Texans to follow?
Because deep down EVERYONE wants to be a Texan! Even those crazy Brits!

DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #20
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64231 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't even want to hear this.

Favorites never win.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read