Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2012   #1
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Best Big 3 in the league?

I asked a friend about this and someone made a comment about it in the Boomer Esiason thread, but do we really have the best 3? The only combination that I think rivals ours is Baltimore. They have Flacco, Rice, and Boldin which is pretty dang good. Other than than I can't think of another team that comes close. It all hinges on Schaub and Andre staying healthy, but when they are they're both top 10 in the league. Andre top 3 without a doubt.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Best Big 3 in the league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I asked a friend about this and someone made a comment about it in the Boomer Esiason thread, but do we really have the best 3? The only combination that I think rivals ours is Baltimore. They have Flacco, Rice, and Boldin which is pretty dang good. Other than than I can't think of another team that comes close. It all hinges on Schaub and Andre staying healthy, but when they are they're both top 10 in the league. Andre top 3 without a doubt.
Flacco, Rice, and Boldin aren't even in same ball park as our big 3. That is a BIG ONE. Rice is the only good player out of those 3. Boldin is slow as hell now days and hasn't eclipsed 1,000 yards in the last two seasons. Flacco is an average QB.

THe Eagles who have Vick, Jackson, and McCoy are a very good rival.

The Cowboys have Romo, Bryant, and Murray which is damn good.

The Giants have Eli, Cruz, and Bradshaw which is really good.

The Atlanta Falcons have Ryan, Roddy White, and Turner which is awsome.

The Saints have Brees, Graham, and Ingram.

There are a lot of teams.

For my money though, I'm taking the Texans on that. Mainly because Schaub is arguably a top 10 guy. Foster is a top 3 to top 5 RB and AJ is a top 3 WR. None of those other teams seem to have all 3 that high.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Flacco's not even remotely as good as Schaub! JMO! Most Raven fans I met HATE him, and want him gone!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #4
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cutler/Forte/Marshall can be pretty good too.

Stafford/Best/Calvin would be up there too if Best actually stayed healthy one of these times.

But yeah, I'm taking our boys.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #5
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Flacco, Rice, and Boldin aren't even in same ball park as our big 3. That is a BIG ONE. Rice is the only good player out of those 3. Boldin is slow as hell now days and hasn't eclipsed 1,000 yards in the last two seasons. Flacco is an average QB.

THe Eagles who have Vick, Jackson, and McCoy are a very good rival.

The Cowboys have Romo, Bryant, and Murray which is damn good.

The Giants have Eli, Cruz, and Bradshaw which is really good.

The Atlanta Falcons have Ryan, Roddy White, and Turner which is awsome.

The Saints have Brees, Graham, and Ingram.

There are a lot of teams.

For my money though, I'm taking the Texans on that. Mainly because Schaub is arguably a top 10 guy. Foster is a top 3 to top 5 RB and AJ is a top 3 WR. None of those other teams seem to have all 3 that high.
The only one that comes close in that group are the Eagles. I agree that Boldin is on his last legs so Baltimore doesn't really compare. Most teams have a really good, solid 2 but its that third piece that puts is over the top in my view. Schaub when at his best is easily top 10 at his position. I don't know that any other team can make that case. Arian and Andre are both top 3 at their position and that is a more than most can say. We haven't even seen them all on the field together for an extended period of time.
Old 08-22-2012   #6
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Flacco's not even remotely as good as Schaub! JMO! Most Raven fans I met HATE him, and want him gone!
Haha, i'm not saying he's good but I do think he's underrated. He played great in the AFC Championship game. He led them on a game winning drive to go to the Super Bowl but the pass was dropped. He's not a scrub.
Old 08-22-2012   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only one that comes close in that group are the Eagles. I agree that Boldin is on his last legs so Baltimore doesn't really compare. Most teams have a really good, solid 2 but its that third piece that puts is over the top in my view. Schaub when at his best is easily top 10 at his position. I don't know that any other team can make that case. Arian and Andre are both top 3 at their position and that is a more than most can say. We haven't even seen them all on the field together for an extended period of time.
I dunno man, the Cowboys compare pretty well if they hit on all cylinders this season health wise. Murray looked to be a top 10 RB last season before going down and Dez Bryant is capable of being an elite WR. Romo has always been right there with Schaub, so I'd say that is very comparable.

Eli has two rings now and is considered better than Schaub. Cruz was an elite WR last season that was practically unstoppable with Andre Johnson type stats. We'll see if he can continue that. Bradshaw has been one of the most underrated backs in the league for years. He has never been given enough carries to get the recognition he deserves.

Ryan is right there with Schaub. Roddy White's numbers are very close to AJ's every season and Turner is declining at this point, but they've still got another strong one two punch in Rodgers and the other back up.

But like I said, I'll take what we have as #1 as of now. AJ and Foster put us over the rest slightly to me.
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2012   #8
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I dunno man, the Cowboys compare pretty well if they hit on all cylinders this season health wise. Murray looked to be a top 10 RB last season before going down and Dez Bryant is capable of being an elite WR. Romo has always been right there with Schaub, so I'd say that is very comparable.

Eli has two rings now and is considered better than Schaub. Cruz was an elite WR last season that was practically unstoppable with Andre Johnson type stats. We'll see if he can continue that. Bradshaw has been one of the most underrated backs in the league for years. He has never been given enough carries to get the recognition he deserves.

Ryan is right there with Schaub. Roddy White's numbers are very close to AJ's every season and Turner is declining at this point, but they've still got another strong one two punch in Rodgers and the other back up.

But like I said, I'll take what we have as #1 as of now. AJ and Foster put us over the rest slightly to me.
The Cowboys Big 3 is good, but they're very unproven at Running Back and Receiver.

Bradshaw just started starting for the Giants so I'm not sure he's in the top 10 at the position. I'd have to give that one some more thought.

I do like the Falcons crew but, I liked Turner more in his Chargers days. He's carrying more weight than I think he should, but he's still been productive. They are probably more comparable to our Big 3 numbers wise though.
Old 08-22-2012   #9
jdjd
Rookie

I think I would have to go with Vick, Jackson, and Mccoy being Schaub, Foster, and Johnson's only rival if all stays healthy. But I seriously doubt all six of them could play 16-20 games healthy at their ages.
jdjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #10
jdjd
Rookie

Cutler, Forte, Marshall's not a bad group either.
jdjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Cowboys Big 3 is good, but they're very unproven at Running Back and Receiver.

Bradshaw just started starting for the Giants so I'm not sure he's in the top 10 at the position. I'd have to give that one some more thought.

I do like the Falcons crew but, I liked Turner more in his Chargers days. He's carrying more weight than I think he should, but he's still been productive. They are probably more comparable to our Big 3 numbers wise though.
I wouldn't call any of the guys on the Boys as unproven. I think both guys have proven themselves as solid play makers, but have both had injury issues that have slowed them down numbers wise. Murray was on a tear last season. Bryant just can't get his head on straight it seems like. If he does though, LOOK OUT! Did you see that catch he had where his foot was barely out? Man, that was amazing.

I'm not calling Bradshaw top 10 by any means, but he is potentially capable of it. He was just never the full time starter, because NY always chose to utilize a committee approach with Jacobs and the Earth, Wind, and fire combo to assure longevity to their running game.

I think Turner is banged up a little bit to much now and will be on the decline from here on out.

The Steelers aren't to shabby with Ben, Mendenhall, and Wallace. Not as good as the TExans, but definitely worth mentioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjd View Post
Cutler, Forte, Marshall's not a bad group either.
Yeah, this group could potentially be a top 3 group for sure.

You just never know if Marshall might screw that all up though by assaulting some woman or having a fist fight at a night club or something. If health works in their favor, they could be a big time duo as a BIG 3.
Old 08-22-2012   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Well time to rock the boat...

Schaub is injury prone and AJ is a pulled groin from being out for a long time. Our top 3 is really 1.5 IMO.

Atlanta has a big 4. Ryan, Turner, White, and Jones. Even w Turner being 30 this year they still have a big 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #13
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

The Bears with Cutty/Marshall/Forte are a good triplet, and backed up by their defense is probably as much of a Superbowl contender as the Texans, only their division is arguably the toughest in the NFC. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Chicago-Houston match in the Superdome this winter.

Quote:
Haha, i'm not saying he's good but I do think he's underrated. He played great in the AFC Championship game. He led them on a game winning drive to go to the Super Bowl but the pass was dropped. He's not a scrub.
Any criticism of Flacco must come with the acknowledgement that Cam Cameron is STILL his OC. Poor guy.

Last edited by bhsman; 08-22-2012 at 09:13 PM.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #14
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Chicago is my definite darkhorse to make it to the Super Bowl. Cutler and Marshall LOVE each other.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #15
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Chicago is my definite darkhorse to make it to the Super Bowl. Cutler and Marshall LOVE each other.
Jeffrey looked pretty nice against the Redskins' D. I imagine he wants to make a lot of people regret not taking him higher. Marshall drawing double coverage will probably help. Combined with Michael Bush backing up Forte and a reliable D...hell, I'd almost rank them above the Texans in terms of making the Superbowl, if not for (again) them playing in the NFC North.

Oh and they have this new 1st-rounder DE who plays with a high motor and wears #99. Not that Texans fans would find anything significant about that.
Old 08-22-2012   #16
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Flacco is terrible. Actually, I think the better term would be, inconsistent. He has mostly bad games and can't get the ball going. But sometimes he has great games. As long as the Ravens have him, I believe they will not be able to get to the big one.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #17
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Patriots.

Brady. Gronk. Welker. (throw in Lloyd, Hernandez too.)
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #18
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
Patriots.

Brady. Gronk. Welker. (throw in Lloyd, Hernandez too.)
I don't see a RB.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I actually disagree with the notion that the Big 3 have to be QB, RB, WR. That sort of became the big comparison once Dallas won their SBs with Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin, but other teams have had different versions of the Big 3 that didn't include those positions. Hell, the Patriots team that won 3 of 4 had Brady and .... Deion Branch? An aged Dillon one year and ... who? The last couple Giants Super Bowls had Eli, Coughlin, and the DL.

If the Texans win the SB this year or next, it'll be in large part because of the defense. Someone will inevitably point out the Big 3 of Schaub, Foster, and AJ, but that does a disservice to the defense, IMO.
Old 08-23-2012   #20
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
I don't see a RB.
Hernandez?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read