Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2012   #21
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NT Sonny Harris Out for Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Someone else follows Seth Payne on Twitter, I see.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #22
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Free agent, baby! Bang Bang!
Old 08-22-2012   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
OK, let's see now, that's NT added to ILB and TE. My list is growing for next years draft wish list!
See my recent mock for 2013.
Old 08-22-2012   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
This one stings. Fangupo was continually blocked by one man the other night. He ain't ready to be on the 53.
I saw him take on 2 blockers and a third was pulling off him to his right as play progress. Fang was apprx 5 yards past LOS.
Old 08-23-2012   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Fangupo need not mess around on the practice Squad. The guy is almost 30 years old. He needs to be on the roster performing or let go.

I think this is a PS stash like Dutch said.

Came out of nowhere -- Check
Some obscure injury not definitively described-- Check
Looked fine coming out of the game -- Check

Texans are going to have to scrape for roster spots this year and carrying 3 NT's might be a luxury they can't afford.
It could be. If he is scheduled for surgery in the next week we will know something. Most TRICEPS tears are complete......these require surgery. Partial tears still can take months to heal enough to return to play. In that claimed case, we won't know for sure.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 08-23-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: TYPO?BRAIN
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #26
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I saw him take on 2 blockers and a third was pulling off him to his right as play progress. Fang was apprx 5 yards past LOS.
I did not see the last three or four minutes of the game, but came away very unimpressed against a non starters.
Old 08-23-2012   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think Harris was one of the surprises of this preseason .... I think he had pretty much punched his ticket to a spot on the final 53 and believe this is a legit injury.

If we were talking about a guy .... lets say Posey ... I might tend to agree with you , but not when the guy in question was playing so well and with the starter at his position injured already.

I had Harris making the final 53 in my list .... Wondering if he's replaced by Fangupo or someone from outside the orginization as cuts occur. For now , I'll pencil in Fangupo tho thats subject to change.
On first look, Harris seemed to register, but after studying every play closely, I didn't think his effort was near enough to make the roster.

A PS spot is more in line.

In the first half, he registered an assist.
This was on a play where somehow the Niners left Barwin unblocked and tried to run right at him (Barwin).
Of course, the RB had to turn back in.
Harris did well to maintain position to be in on the assist, but it was more due to circumstances.

In the second half, he went mostly against 67 Kilgore (a 5th round draft pick from last year who spent the whole season on the inactive list.)

The tackle he made was actually due to Crick getting into the backfield and forced the runner to change course. Harris was originally blocked out of the play. He did show great effort to stay with it and was rewarded with the tackle.

The last play he was in was another assist from the back side.
The Texans shut down play side and the middle.
The runner didn't have any place to go.

On the rest of the run plays, it was a mix bag.
He showed good effort, showing up close to the play a few times, but it looks to me like it was due to circumstances.
Nothing to really write home about.

He was in on about a dozen pass plays and the only one where he had any kind of decent effect was late in the third, against a 4th rounder who's been recovering from lisfranc suffered during the Senior Bowl week.
It wasn't a direct effect, but again it was great effort staying with the play.

He had a few bad moments:
Getting blocked by a RB (Dixon) in a 2 back set early in the game.
Got pushed back on 4th and one. He did recovered but the first down was already in the book.
Got pushed back 4 or 5 yards by a combo block and then was pancaked.
Got totally cleared out to one side in the second half.

I frankly don't think he can make the 53-man roster.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2012   #28
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

When I saw the title of the thread, first instinct was "oh, we are at practice squading guys already time".

I'm hoping Mitchell steps up and shows he can be the answer going forward on the nose.
Old 08-23-2012   #29
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Let me answer your question, Sylvester Williams-DT from N. Carolina in the 2nd or 3rd round. He's 6'03" and 320 lbs. and moves surprisingly well for such a big man. Or Kawaan Short-DT from Purdue, Rick Smiths favorite school, in the 2nd round if he lasts that long. He's 6'03" and 310 lbs. and also pretty quick and agile for such a big man. Either would work well in a NT rotation with Mitchell after Cody leaves in FA as a salary cap walk.
Short would be an excellent selection, but we'd have to take him with our 1st. Won't be around long enough to grab in the 2nd.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #30
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see a DLine with Watt in the middle and Antonio & Jamison at the ends.
Regular season opening-day game vs Miami may be the opportunity to introduce that trio ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
On first look, Harris seemed to register, but after studying every play closely, I didn't think his effort was near enough to make the roster.

A PS spot is more in line.

In the first half, he registered an assist.
This was on a play where somehow the Niners left Barwin unblocked and tried to run right at him (Barwin).
Of course, the RB had to turn back in.
Harris did well to maintain position to be in on the assist, but it was more due to circumstances.

In the second half, he went mostly against 67 Kilgore (a 5th round draft pick from last year who spent the whole season on the inactive list.)

The tackle he made was actually due to Crick getting into the backfield and forced the runner to change course. Harris was originally blocked out of the play. He did show great effort to stay with it and was rewarded with the tackle.

The last play he was in was another assist from the back side.
The Texans shut down play side and the middle.
The runner didn't have any place to go.

On the rest of the run plays, it was a mix bag.
He showed good effort, showing up close to the play a few times, but it looks to me like it was due to circumstances.
Nothing to really write home about.

He was in on about a dozen pass plays and the only one where he had any kind of decent effect was late in the third, against a 4th rounder who's been recovering from lisfranc suffered during the Senior Bowl week.
It wasn't a direct effect, but again it was great effort staying with the play.

He had a few bad moments:
Getting blocked by a RB (Dixon) in a 2 back set early in the game.
Got pushed back on 4th and one. He did recovered but the first down was already in the book.
Got pushed back 4 or 5 yards by a combo block and then was pancaked.
Got totally cleared out to one side in the second half.

I frankly don't think he can make the 53-man roster.
Honestly, without watching the game that was my impression as well. I didn't see him holding the point particularly well, I didn't see any great penetration.

I thought he showed some good movement ability, but I didn't think he really affected the game.

Maybe with some NFL training he can get a little better. Obviously the texans see some promise because they could have just settled with him instead of ir'ing him, right?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #32
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

This is bad news for depth but honestly, I've been less than impressed with the DL so far. Didn't think Mitchell was playing well either. Hopefully a light turns on for Fangupo, don't think Crick is going to hold up the nose at 285 lbs....just a bad situation right now.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #33
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It could be. If he is scheduled for surgery in the next week we will know something. Most Pec tears are complete......these require surgery. Partial tears still can take months to heal enough to return to play. In that claimed case, we won't know for sure.
I thought this was a triceps tear? Did I read wrong or misremember?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #34
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I thought this was a triceps tear? Did I read wrong or misremember?
You caught my error. It should have read "triceps." My explanation/description, though, was correct for triceps injury. Thanks for the catch.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm probably wrong for this but anyone else think Texans should have taken Mike Martin, NT Michigan with either the 68th pick (Posey) or 76th pick (Brooks)?

Martin has looked good so far in pre-season with Tack's, he was the 82nd pick? This would have solidified the interior DL for years to come without spending a 1st or 2nd rd. pick next year regardless of "Cody Island" status ....

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #36
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm probably wrong for this but anyone else think Texans should have taken Mike Martin, NT Michigan with either the 68th pick (Posey) or 76th pick (Brooks)?

Martin has looked good so far in pre-season with Tack's, he was the 82nd pick? This would have solidified the interior DL for years to come without spending a 1st or 2nd rd. pick next year regardless of "Cody Island" status ....
Too early to judge, but that's the way I'd have gone. I mocked Martin to us several times.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #37
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

You know I was a fan of Martin all season long. While it is still (way) too early to tell who will be a player in the league and who wont be, I would preferred Martin to Posey.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read