Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2012   #21
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Boomer Esiason "Schaub Reminds Me of Me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
The Texans should have a damn good defense again, but to suggest that they are for sure better than the Cowboys defense of that era is pretty ridiculous after just one season. Schaub is a top 10 type of QB, but Aikman was a HOF guy. Holler at me when Schaub is even considered elite, much less a HOF guy. And you really take the cake by trying to act like Joseph was as good as Deion. I can't stand Deion, but you're trying to compare Joseph what the majority of knowledgeable football fans consider to be the best CB of all time. Give Joseph some time to have several years of being elite before comparing him to the best CB that ever played. Not even fair to Joseph. This pretty much smacks of homerism.
As much as it hurts me to say, Eli currently reminds me the most of Aikman.

No one even compares to Deion in this era. Revis is about as close as you can get, but even that is a huge leap.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #22
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75189 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
As much as it hurts me to say, Eli currently reminds me the most of Aikman.

No one even compares to Deion in this era. Revis is about as close as you can get, but even that is a huge leap.
If Revis can continue to play the way he has, then he'll be up there in my opinion. I think the season Revis had two seasons ago was the best season ever for any CB. Better than any season Deion ever had as far as one single season. Revis had a list of like 7 elite level WR's including AJ that he shut down. I've never seen any CB have that kind of consistency in coverage.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #23
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Revis can continue to play the way he has, then he'll be up there in my opinion. I think the season Revis had two seasons ago was the best season ever for any CB. Better than any season Deion ever had as far as one single season. Revis had a list of like 7 elite level WR's including AJ that he shut down. I've never seen any CB have that kind of consistency in coverage.
Deion will always be hard to grade because people just gave up even trying to throw his way. People are still dumb enough to throw at Revis.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #24
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some of you post stuff here as if you guys don't have a clue about the Bengals from those years. The Bengals were damn good for a season or two, and Boomer was a damn good QB for a while. Hell, the year that they had Icky Woods running like crazy they were a Joe Montana come back drive away from being SB champs against one of the best teams of all time.

This comparison is a huge compliment to the Texans, and the Texans haven't even been past the 2nd round before and have only made one post season in general. I'll gladly enjoy a comparison like this any day of the week.
I remember those days, Bengals were using the no huddle, or hurry up, offense that year. Boomer, Icky woods, James Brooks, Cris Collinsworth...

Ahhh the good ol days....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #25
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75189 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Deion will always be hard to grade because people just gave up even trying to throw his way. People are still dumb enough to throw at Revis.
Well they are a little different. Deion was one of the fastest and quickest guys to ever play any sport in world history. He is one of those guys that is easily one of the best athletes of all time in general. Deion relied on being able to trick QB's and could recover from being out of position on a play better than any other football player I've ever seen. That was the quickness factor there. Revis relies more on being a strong CB that jams WR's better than any CB I've ever witnessed. Revis is very quick and fast, but is so freaking strong and can really push WR's around. He is extremely disciplined and stays on guys like glue as opposed to Deion's tactics of baiting QB's and making them pay. Revis makes guys freaking pack it in by the first half a lot of times though. He gets in guys heads to where they don't feel like they can strategically get open because of his physicality. Revis also seems to get away with a lot more with the officials now.
Old 08-22-2012   #26
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I remember those days, Bengals were using the no huddle, or hurry up, offense that year. Boomer, Icky woods, James Brooks, Cris Collinsworth...

I hated that team man. Boomer was a pain in the ass. Munoz was the best Olineman in the league along with Mathews as well.
Old 08-22-2012   #27
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I recall Boomer being a pretty solid QB back in the day. We saw him at least twice a year since the Oilers were in the same division.
Yeah, and he was 7-14 as a starter versus the Oilers. Never a big fan of Esiason. Very good with a clean pocket. But, I didn't think he stood up versus pressure. I remember Ray Childress commenting after a Oiler victory in the Dome that the Bengals stopped trying to pass in the 4th quarter because Boomer didn't want to get hit. Other than the outstanding play fakes, I don't see much of Esiason in Schaub. Matt is much more accurate and stands taller in the pocket than Boomer.
Old 08-22-2012   #28
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Top 5 CB's of all time:
Dick Lane (vicious tacker, and all around athlete)
Deion Sanders (best coverage cornerback, ridiculous return man)
Darrell Green (20 years at corner, enough said)
Rod Woodson (11 time pro bowler)
Ronnie Lott (cut his finger off to keep playing)

I'm sorry I don't think anyone today comes close to these guys.. too early in their career to say yet.. Champ Bailey probably the only one that is near this level.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #29
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
All great players. But, I don't think they were as good in coverage as Revis. Lott was best as a safety, where he played at 10 of his 15 seasons in the league.
Old 08-22-2012   #30
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Top 5 CB's of all time:
Dick Lane (vicious tacker, and all around athlete)
Deion Sanders (best coverage cornerback, ridiculous return man)

I'm sorry I don't think anyone today comes close to these guys.. too early in their career to say yet.. Champ Bailey probably the only one that is near this level.
Then please explain how Revis doesn't deserve consideration to be a guy that would be amongst these guys "assuming" he stays on the path that he has been on thus far? Are you leaving him out of discussion because it is so early in his career? Look at the list of guys Revis flat out shut down two seasons ago including AJ and tell me he didn't have arguably the best season ever for a CB?

ANother guy that deserves to be on any list amongst best CB's ever is TY LAW!! I think he was better then Champ. It's very debatable though.
Old 08-22-2012   #31
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Then please explain how Revis doesn't deserve consideration to be a guy that would be amongst these guys "assuming" he stays on the path that he has been on thus far? Are you leaving him out of discussion because it is so early in his career? Look at the list of guys Revis flat out shut down two seasons ago including AJ and tell me he didn't have arguably the best season ever for a CB?

ANother guy that deserves to be on any list amongst best CB's ever is TY LAW!! I think he was better then Champ. It's very debatable though.
All of the above guys did more than just be "the cover guy" for their team, if he continues to have another 5 years like this one than yah he'll be on the list for sure, knocking darrell green out the list.

Will be curious to see if Revis learns how to bait his QB like Deion did, just to see if he can get them to throw the ball.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 229246 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Will be curious to see if Revis learns how to bait his QB like Deion did, just to see if he can get them to throw the ball.
Thank you. Deion was so good he had to start playing games to get INT's. You could watch him run a receiver tight 6 times and them come off him only to break back. He was stupid quick in short space, well or long space for that matter.

I would kill to have Deion on one side and Aaron Glenn on the other.
Old 08-23-2012   #33
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post

It was called the "sugar huddle". The Bengals were my favorite team growing up. (Until they hired David Shula and I realized that the organization was fundamentally flawed from the top down.)

If you remember, Sam Wyche did not exactly play by the rules, or rather, played around them. The purpose of the sugar huddle was to take advantage of the opposing team trying to substitute players on defense.

The Bengals would do a soft huddle very close to the line of scrimmage and if Esiason saw the defense substitute, the offense would hurry to the line and snap the ball. The result would either be a penalty on the defense for two many players on the field or a defense that was discombobulated and out of position.

That team had ridiculous talent offensively and a few very special players on defense as well.

The Bengals superbowl run was undermined a bit right before the superbowl when the league determined that they could no longer run the sugar huddle.

It was that offense that lead the league to create the rule we have today that if the offense substitutes, the defense has to be given the opportunity to as well.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #34
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Yeah, and he was 7-14 as a starter versus the Oilers. Never a big fan of Esiason. Very good with a clean pocket. But, I didn't think he stood up versus pressure. I remember Ray Childress commenting after a Oiler victory in the Dome that the Bengals stopped trying to pass in the 4th quarter because Boomer didn't want to get hit. Other than the outstanding play fakes, I don't see much of Esiason in Schaub. Matt is much more accurate and stands taller in the pocket than Boomer.
I'm not much of a Boomer fan, either, but what he said with regards to comparing him and Schaub was more about context within the teams they play(ed) for.

Boomer was not comparing QB styles, but said "Schaub reminds me of me in the sense that he is in a really great spot right now much like I was in my third or fourth year with the Bengals." He then explains that they both have great players around them and are both on really good teams that allows their attributes to shine within the system.

Honestly, it's not like some deep insight from Boomer, but more of positive thoughts about the potential of the 2012 Texans and Schaub's role on a solid team.
Old 08-23-2012   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm Ok with Boomer.

The ex-QB from that era that I REALLY cannot stand???

Phil Simms. There are not enough asterisks this message board filtering system can produce that can put into censored words what I think of him.

He's on a Craig James level for me. Dooooooooosh bags.
Old 08-23-2012   #36
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'm Ok with Boomer.

The ex-QB from that era that I REALLY cannot stand???

Phil Simms. There are not enough asterisks this message board filtering system can produce that can put into censored words what I think of him.

He's on a Craig James level for me. Dooooooooosh bags.
Agreed. And I think my dislike for Simms affected my sentiment toward his son before I even gave him much of a chance as a player.
Old 08-23-2012   #37
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I miss the old AFC Central. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with where Houston football is today. The past is the past, but the House Of Pain and Bum's Bunch before that, old Cleveland Stadium, The Jungle, and those sumbitches in western Pa. There was some good old fashioned innocent hatred right there.

I'll admit Boomer was a pretty good QB, but they were in the AFC Central so my kneejerk recation when hearing the name Esiason will always be negative.

I remember once when TNT (I think) was doing a Thursday night game and Boomer was part of the pregame-postgame team. They had Warren Moon on as a guest and Boomer would not let it go. He kept jabbing Moon about the Oilers, Moon's Oilers, no matter the subject at hand. Houston won most of the games when they went head-to-head and Boomer just HATED that. He even had his stupid little Cincy helmet there for a security blanky...lol.
Old 08-24-2012   #38
kingh99

Esiason Bengals batterymate Chris Collingsworth "Pee Wee Hermann reminds me of me" which is actually an unfair slight on Pee Wee. Collingsworth exudes turdliness. Can't stand that mfer.
Old 08-24-2012   #39
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry Tex, that never happened.

You make me bring up the 09 game.

I know I remember it correctly.

Nobody and nobody shut down AJ in man coverage.

Just like some people was saying Aso shut down AJ; that didn't happen either.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #40
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I miss the old AFC Central.
Completely agree. The Steelers, Browns, and Bengals were great rivalries and those teams had so much personality. The AFC South just doesn't have the same feel. I suppose, given time, it could. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read