Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-20-2012   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jags to play as many as 2 games in London each season

Just saw this reported on local Orlando news. Apparently this is for the next few years starting next season. They said that for sure they are playing 1 however it could be extended to 2 each season. I just hope the Texans don't have to go over there. One, it's bad for the Texans, two I wouldn't get to see them play up there.

I really don't get this whole London thing. They should limit this to preseason games only. Most of those people wouldn't know the difference and it would give the season ticket holders a break from paying full price for preseason tickets.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jags to play as many as 2 games in London each season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Just saw this reported on local Orlando news. Apparently this is for the next few years starting next season. They said that for sure they are playing 1 however it could be extended to 2 each season. I just hope the Texans don't have to go over there. One, it's bad for the Texans, two I wouldn't get to see them play up there.

I really don't get this whole London thing. They should limit this to preseason games only. Most of those people wouldn't know the difference and it would give the season ticket holders a break from paying full price for preseason tickets.
I couldn't agree more. The sentiment is no reflection on the city across the pond, I would LOVE to visit there someday. It's just not a practical idea, IMO. Expansion or relocation to make London an NFL city would be a non-improvement at best, a costly mistake at worst.
Old 08-20-2012   #3
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's part the NFL's strategy to expand internationally, and the owners are behind it. They aren't going to dump meaningless practice games on a market that they are trying to capture. Those fans are smart enough to know the difference.

Having a few games in Europe is not going to hurt the U.S. fans.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #4
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
It's part the NFL's strategy to expand internationally, and the owners are behind it. They aren't going to dump meaningless practice games on a market that they are trying to capture. Those fans are smart enough to know the difference.
They might know the difference but it wouldn't make a difference. Just look at how well the preseason soccer games sell over here. You wouldn't see the EPL having real games in the States or trying to expand over here. That would be just as silly as the NFL trying to expand over there.

Quote:
Taking 2 real home games away from a fan base isn't going to hurt them? Try selling that to a Jags season ticket holder who will have to pay full price for 2 preseason games and only get 6 regular season games.
Old 08-20-2012   #5
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

I suppose that you are right that the European fans would attend the pre-season games. But if the Jags played two regular season games overseas, don't you think they would lose one home game and one away game? And if they do play two games overseas, one could be against the Texans since they are in the same division.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans get some international exposure. Why not?
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #6
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They might know the difference but it wouldn't make a difference. Just look at how well the preseason soccer games sell over here. You wouldn't see the EPL having real games in the States or trying to expand over here. That would be just as silly as the NFL trying to expand over there.
EPL actually did entertain the idea of playing one extra game per season for each team, at a neutral location, presumably in a country they want to be more popular in. Don't think it was met with much enthusiasm. Not that I think there should be any more regular season games played in London.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #7
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

This is bull$%(. Europe already has their own brand of football. The NFL belongs in America.

I do not like the idea of International NFL at all.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2012   #8
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
I suppose that you are right that the European fans would attend the pre-season games. But if the Jags played two regular season games overseas, don't you think they would lose one home game and one away game? And if they do play two games overseas, one could be against the Texans since they are in the same division.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans get some international exposure. Why not?
IIRC the deal is for 2 home games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #9
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
IIRC the deal is for 2 home games.
That's they way I understood it from the report. The Orlando reporter blamed the Jacksonville fans for not buying enough tickets .. however the anchor guy chimed in that it's all about money for the new owner.

As I have brought out before the Jags aren't doing that bad in ticket sales especially compared to the other 2 teams here.

Fortunately the Glaziers announced a couple of weeks ago that they are done with London and will not be returning. That's good news for Bucs fans.
Old 08-21-2012   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not going to help the NFL, either. You can't grow the game with a couple of pro contests. That has to be done at the grass roots level. As far as I know, American football has not taken off in Europe at the junior level. If and when that happens, the NFL can begin to realize their dream of international markets. Right now, it's a prank.
Old 08-21-2012   #11
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully they have some tarps on hand in London to give the Jags more of a home field atmosphere.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Hopefully they have some tarps on hand in London to give the Jags more of a home field atmosphere.
Fans of the NFL in the UK and London are going to go to that game even if it's not a team that they root for. Just like soccer fans here will flock to a Manchester B team friendly vs a US squad. That's not even a game that counts and people still go.
Old 08-21-2012   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I disagree. If you're a season ticket holder then it is definitely going to take something you purchased away from you and let the NFL re-sell it to someone else.
Old 08-21-2012   #14
Stuttgarter
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Stuttgarter is a quality contributor and well respectedStuttgarter is a quality contributor and well respectedStuttgarter is a quality contributor and well respectedStuttgarter is a quality contributor and well respectedStuttgarter is a quality contributor and well respectedStuttgarter is a quality contributor and well respectedStuttgarter is a quality contributor and well respectedStuttgarter is a quality contributor and well respectedStuttgarter is a quality contributor and well respectedStuttgarter is a quality contributor and well respectedStuttgarter is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a couple of points from an English NFL fan. Im really unsure what benefit it will provide to Jacksonville (or any other NFL side but more so such a young club). Most fans of the NFL in Europe already follow an NFL team. I visited Houston a couple of times for work and took in Houston games both times. Since then Ive followed the Texans. No matter how many times the Jaguars (or any other side other than the Texans) turn up in England I wouldnt change my team. Even with the Jaguars designated the home team, the concept of the franchise is alien to us and its something we dont want anything to do with. Its really frowned upon here. Something we dont understand is allowed to happen in the US. So even if Jacksonville turn up twice a season starting from 2013 Im not so sure their fan base will increase significantly. And of course, most fans here know that after the four years we may never see them again.

And I can fully understand why a fan of an NFL team looking to play in England would be unhappy about it. I would be too. You really shouldn't be doing that to your loyal fan base...
Stuttgarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

If its bad for the Jaguars, its good for us.
Old 08-21-2012   #16
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
If its bad for the Jaguars, its good for us.
Houston Texans at Jacksonville Jaguars 1PM EST (London)

This would not be good for us (or me since I can be in Jacksonville in 2 hours to see the Texans in person)

Quote:
Just a couple of points from an English NFL fan. I’m really unsure what benefit it will provide to Jacksonville (or any other NFL side but more so such a young club). Most fans of the NFL in Europe already follow an NFL team. I visited Houston a couple of times for work and took in Houston games both times. Since then I’ve followed the Texans. No matter how many times the Jaguars (or any other side other than the Texans) turn up in England I wouldn’t change my team. Even with the Jaguars designated the ‘home’ team, the concept of the franchise is alien to us and it’s something we don’t want anything to do with. It’s really frowned upon here. Something we don’t understand is allowed to happen in the US. So even if Jacksonville turn up twice a season starting from 2013 I’m not so sure their fan base will increase significantly. And of course, most fans here know that after the four years we may never see them again.

And I can fully understand why a fan of an NFL team looking to play in England would be unhappy about it. I would be too. You really shouldn't be doing that to your loyal fan base...
I don't think it's so much about trying to build a fanbase in England for the Jags as it is a "cash grab" for the NFL and the franchise. I just saw that tickets for the Rams vs Patriots game in London are 70 pounds. With the coversion that is around $110. The average Jags ticket is around $70 over here. Also assuming they would sell more tickets over there because it's a 1 (2x) event.

Again I don't get it. They could probably sell a preseason game just as easy as the EPL and La Liga are doing here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read