Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-21-2012   #21
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your overall point, but fosters stats don't look as good of he doesn't break that long one against the 9ers second teamers.
True that! But if you look at a lot of the games the past couple of years, like the Steelers last yr, he started slow, maybe a few around 4 or 5, then would break one or two for big gains later in the game... That's how RBs get averages of around 4 yds: some 5yd or so runs mixed with 1s and No-gains then busting 10+ers...never just 4 every carry...

just can't tell either way on the small sample size we have so far, but i'm not cometely discouraged from what i've seen so far...

*edit: created a new word

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #22
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we already missing Joel Dreesen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
No way he is better than OD. OD is a solid blocker and Dreesen is a very good blocker. The difference is in the pass catching. People like to tout his TDs but those were scheme plays and on 4 of his 6 he was simply wide open. Daniels and Foster took most of the coverage letting him squeeze out of the backside for the easy catch. Just sayin.
Dreesen's blocking is better than OD in my opinion. OD in space is just god awful to watch too, especially when Kubes plays that little bubble screen to him. Watching OD try to navigate in space gives me heartburn. He's just not a YAC guy. Dreesen was much more so. Plus look at games missed in the last three years for OD. Plus he's a bigger redzone threat. You'll miss him come mid season.

So to summarize, better blocker, better in space, stays healthy, better redzone threat, and better hands.
Old 08-21-2012   #23
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
I'd be willing to bet that they thought about Fleener at 26 in the draft, but Mercilus had fallen into their laps.

I could see a TE being taken by the Texans in the 1st 2 days of the draft in '13. But that's only if Casey's not the guy we (and the staff) thought he was/going to be.
I know Kubiak loves his TE's but I think unless you have Vernon Davis sitting there Kubiak is probably not pulling the trigger on a 1st round TE. That's a position that gets drafted in the 4th round or later and we find a "gem". I think Duane Brown is the only offensive player we've taken in the 1st round during the Kubiak regime, and that's probably not about to change unless there is some sort of physical freak available.
Old 08-21-2012   #24
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 174887 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Dreesen's blocking is better than OD in my opinion. OD in space is just god awful to watch too, especially when Kubes plays that little bubble screen to him. Watching OD try to navigate in space gives me heartburn. He's just not a YAC guy. Dreesen was much more so. Plus look at games missed in the last three years for OD. Plus he's a bigger redzone threat. You'll miss him come mid season.

So to summarize, better blocker, better in space, stays healthy, better redzone threat, and better hands.
hmmm...
- Better blocker... no doubt in my mind!
- Better in space...? Not sure about that one. Never seen Dreessen operate much farther than 5-10 yds past the LoS. Never seen Dreessen get open deep between the safeties like O.D. can. ...so don't agree with this one.
- Stays healthy...? Yep.
- Better redzone threat...? The numbers say "yes". BUT... I think that's the play calling as much as his ability to get open. ...so this one is a yes
- Better hands...? I dunno 'bout that; never seen Dreessen have to make a tough catch; at least not of the OMG! types like we've seen Casey make. I have seen O.D. make those in the past. Unfortunately, the last memory of O.D. we have is that drop in last Saturday's 'Frisco game. I thought he should have had that, but I ain't sure Dreessen would have caught it either. ...so I'm going "no" on this one.

The main thing I miss from Dreessen is the blocking. He was almost as good a run blocker as Winston, IMHO.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your overall point, but fosters stats don't look as good of he doesn't break that long one against the 9ers second teamers.
They had a mix of 1s and 2s in there toward the end of the half.

On the other hand, we played our young guys more in the absence of Cody and Watt.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #26
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Its preseason. Just becuase you excel in preseason does not mean you will excel in the regular season. Remember that year Detroit went 0-16, well they were 4-0 in the preseason. Last year SF looked like a mess in the preseason yet still managed to get within a hair of the Superbowl.

Let's see what happens against Miami before we start getting antsy.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #27
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64465 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we miss Dreesen, dude could block and make clutch catches. I would like to see the Texans go after a TE early in the draft next year.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2012   #28
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I think we miss Dreesen, dude could block and make clutch catches. I would like to see the Texans go after a TE early in the draft next year.
Maybe look in a lower round for a good FB, and move Casey to TE full time.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Of course we are missing Joel. Also Winston and Breisel.

A team doesn't just take three offensive line players who started side-by-side on the most productive run offense in the league, replace them with three benchwarmers, and not feel the effect.

Our running game is going to suffer, and we are already seeing early signs of it.
You know, the Denver running game has always been described as plug & play. Most people think of the running back, but it was also true for the OL. For most of Kubiak's tenure in Denver, most of their OLmen were unknowns....i.e. Chris Myers. They developed those guys for their system & had that next man up mentality.
Old 08-22-2012   #30
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

If Pee Man stays healthy, I think Dreesen is going to put up Dallas Clark numbers.
Old 08-22-2012   #31
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
If Pee Man stays healthy, I think Dreesen is going to put up Dallas Clark numbers.
Indeed, I definitely can see a 50 catch season from Dreesen with the way Manning orchestrates his offense.
Old 08-22-2012   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I know Kubiak loves his TE's but I think unless you have Vernon Davis sitting there Kubiak is probably not pulling the trigger on a 1st round TE. That's a position that gets drafted in the 4th round or later and we find a "gem". I think Duane Brown is the only offensive player we've taken in the 1st round during the Kubiak regime, and that's probably not about to change unless there is some sort of physical freak available.
Watch some Notre Dame football this upcoming season.

Tyler Eifert, about 6'5-6'6, some 250 lbs.
A combination of size, speed, leaping ability, good hands, and toughness.

This guy probably goes in the first or second round.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Old thread, dug it up searching our board for Tyler Eifert. What do y'all think about possibly drafting him in the first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Watch some Notre Dame football this upcoming season.

Tyler Eifert, about 6'5-6'6, some 250 lbs.
A combination of size, speed, leaping ability, good hands, and toughness.

This guy probably goes in the first or second round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Now that we've got a competent defense & DC, I think we may see an offensive pick in the 1st round.

Not that we'll definitely pick on an offensive player, but I would think the value of offensive players has caught up to the value of defensive players. Remember, until recently we'd field a top 10 offense & a last place defense.
Old 02-08-2013   #34
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Old thread, dug it up searching our board for Tyler Eifert. What do y'all think about possibly drafting him in the first?

Now that we've got a competent defense & DC, I think we may see an offensive pick in the 1st round.

Not that we'll definitely pick on an offensive player, but I would think the value of offensive players has caught up to the value of defensive players. Remember, until recently we'd field a top 10 offense & a last place defense.

Do you think Owen Daniels may be a cap casualty? All i do know is our offense has to be retooled. I love AJ as much as anyone but it irritates me when he's the only one making plays for us. Seems like he was the only one who showed up a good portion of the season. If Eifert could be that guy to alleviate the pressure from AJ I'd be all for it.
Old 02-08-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Do you think Owen Daniels may be a cap casualty? All i do know is our offense has to be retooled. I love AJ as much as anyone but it irritates me when he's the only one making plays for us. Seems like he was the only one who showed up a good portion of the season. If Eifert could be that guy to alleviate the pressure from AJ I'd be all for it.
I don't think OD will be a casualty, I'm thinking of burying Graham further down the roster.

I'm looking for a Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkosky kind of guy.
Old 02-09-2013   #36
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think OD will be a casualty, I'm thinking of burying Graham further down the roster.

I'm looking for a Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkosky kind of guy.
Man, TK, your singing my song! I've been wanting the Texans to get this type of TE since last year's draft (Fleener). I'm just not sure the Texans will do it. My guess is they go for a WR or ILB in the 1st. This is a pretty good class for the bigger TE's and they could look at someone like Williams (6'6" 270) in the mid rounds who would be a good blocking TE but also has some good hands and was underutilized by Bama IMO.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #37
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 174887 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Check this interview with McNair after he came back from the Super Bowl. At about the 6:30 - 7 minute mark McNair talks about the draft. First thing out of his mouth is "do we need more defense" to stop the dink & dunk offenses of N. E. and others.

He said "we're in good shape at RB" [okay Bob, I'll give you that one] and we're in good shape at QB [depends on which fan you ask, Bob], and we're in good shape at TE..." ummm.... look closer Bob.

He did say we need more speed at WR.... I guess that's something. Doesn't sound like he's gonna make that a rd 1-3 pick though.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read