Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2012   #61
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Randy Bullock vs Shayne Graham

bullock has missed 1 kick, graham hasnt missed anything, if graham misses a 50 yarder next week does your opinion change..

bullock has been considered automatic from certain distances, i'll take bullocks consistency over an inconsistent big leg. his miss was just right, it had plenty of distance, i think he can straighten that out.. weve seen graham miss a couple sure FGs in the playoffs before..
Old 08-25-2012   #62
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
bullock has missed 1 kick, graham hasnt missed anything, if graham misses a 50 yarder next week does your opinion of change..

bullock has been considered automatic from certain distances, i'll take bullocks consistency over an inconsistent big leg. his miss was just right, it had plenty of distance, i think he can straighten that out.. weve seen graham miss a couple sure FGs in the playoffs before..
Has Graham really been known to be inconsistent though? I don't know the stats but I only remember Graham having one bad year his whole career and he was never known for a big leg. Bullock was inconsistent in his early years at Aggie Land. I wouldn't hold that against him either. Its a tough choice and one I wouldn't wanna make. I personally just trust trust the vet more at this point.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #63
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 178129 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Im leaning Graham ....That 53 yarder put him in front but there is one game left.

Ive said it before - Both have trouble getting depth on kickoffs .... its driving me nuts.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #64
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Has Graham really been known to be inconsistent though? I don't know the stats but I only remember Graham having one bad year his whole career and he was never known for a big leg. Bullock was inconsistent in his early years at Aggie Land. I wouldn't hold that against him either. Its a tough choice and one I wouldn't wanna make. I personally just trust trust the vet more at this point.
Same here. If the Texans have Super Bowl aspirations, then they should go with the better kicker instead of the guy who they used a 5th round draft pick. It may seem like a waste of a pick if they cut Bullock, but if they believe Graham is the best play then keep him. Maybe Bullock can go on the practice squad.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #65
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im leaning Graham ....That 53 yarder put him in front but there is one game left.

Ive said it before - Both have trouble getting depth on kickoffs .... its driving me nuts.
This. I was upset with Bullock about not having any distance on his kickoffs, then Graham came in an reminded me he doesn't either.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #66
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually I'm surprised by Bullock's lack of depth on his kickoffs. I was at the Aggie-T.Tech game last year and he not only was putting his kickoffs in the stands he kicked one thru the uprights which I can't remember ever seeing before. So when the Texans drafted the kid, my opinion was he had the strongest leg in college last year.

I'm almost of the opinion that they're doing it on purpose to practice their kickoff return defense. Although I do also agree with whomever stated when Hartmann comes back it won't be an issue any longer anyways.
Old 08-26-2012   #67
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 62699 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Graham is 34. I'm tired of looking for a kicker every season. Bullock has missed only 1 kick, and it was over 50 yards. Bullock gives us the ability to quit spending time on kicking competitions in the future. If we go graham we will probably spend another pick on another kicker in the future. I'm going bullock unless he gets hurt
Old 08-26-2012   #68
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Bullock gives us the ability to quit spending time on kicking competitions in the future. If we go graham we will probably spend another pick on another kicker in the future.
Wouldn't it be better for the team if there was competition at every position? And what does it matter if the Texans spend or don't spend a pick on a kicker? A late round pick is no lock, no matter what the position.

The Texans should take the kicker who is best, right now. It's a very important position on the team and the criteria for winning the job can't be determined on draft status.
Old 08-26-2012   #69
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 62699 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Wouldn't it be better for the team if there was competition at every position? And what does it matter if the Texans spend or don't spend a pick on a kicker? A late round pick is no lock, no matter what the position.

The Texans should take the kicker who is best, right now. It's a very important position on the team and the criteria for winning the job can't be determined on draft status.
Do you think the Patriots spend time and draft picks on kickers? Gostkowski was the guy and is.

I'd rather not have competition every preseason. I'd rather have a guy lock it down beyond concern. There is no competition for WR1 on our team. I'd like it to be the same for kicker
Old 08-26-2012   #70
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For those who watched A&M games last year, did Bullock have a weak leg on kickoffs as an Aggie?
From the Aggies 2011 stats page:

96 kickoffs (usually from the 35, but could change due to penalty)
61 returns (doesn't indicate if some were onsides attempts)
32 touchbacks
3 out of bounds

From this data, I would say that Bullock didn't consistently get the ball deep in the end zone from the 35. And in the NFL, they kickoff 5 yards deeper.
Old 08-26-2012   #71
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 25997 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Like what was said earlier, Hartman will be doing the kickoffs, so I think they can survive for three games with Bullock as the kicker.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #72
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195032 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From the Aggies 2011 stats page:

96 kickoffs (usually from the 35, but could change due to penalty)
61 returns (doesn't indicate if some were onsides attempts)
32 touchbacks
3 out of bounds

From this data, I would say that Bullock didn't consistently get the ball deep in the end zone from the 35. And in the NFL, they kickoff 5 yards deeper.
Bullock tends to kick low and more line drive type of kicks. Even with a strong leg, this lessens the potential distance .....and the time for coverage.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #73
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If the Texans truly think that Bullock and Graham are just a little bit a part, but that Bullock still has room to grow then we might still see Bullock win. some people take a simple well the draft choice won because he is the draft choice, but there was to be some projection of future value considered.
Old 08-26-2012   #74
kingh99

Graham's leg is 8 to 10 yards stronger than Bullock's. Graham has outperformed Bullock. I guess the one thing we haven't seen is which one does a better job of getting in the way of a kick return touchdown run. If they keep Bullock over Graham it's because Kubiak is a Aggie homer. Those sort of decisions of the heart tend to hurt at some point.
Old 08-26-2012   #75
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

At this stage of kubiak's career, I never understand the reasoning behind "Kubiak will keep the player just because he is an aggie". If Kubiak just started coaching the texans after a career of coaching a&m then yes I could see him picking up ex-players, but with 7 years with the Texans, nope no way
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #76
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 25997 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
At this stage of kubiak's career, I never understand the reasoning behind "Kubiak will keep the player just because he is an aggie". If Kubiak just started coaching the texans after a career of coaching a&m then yes I could see him picking up ex-players, but with 7 years with the Texans, nope no way
True, but it could be a reason why he drafted Bullock over Zierlien, who has the stronger leg. Granted, both kickers were pretty even in college, but Z has the stronger leg. Has hit on a 52 and two 55 yard field goals so far this preseason. Four touchbacks also. Bullock will be accurate, but I don't know if 50+ yard field goals are going to work for us.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #77
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this competition was decided before it even started. Anyone else notice that Bullock has kicked every PAT so far? It seems to me if Graham were really being considered, he'd get some game time with his holder kicking PAT's. While they're considered gimme's, it still requires a little synchronization.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #78
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 277849 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I think this competition was decided before it even started. Anyone else notice that Bullock has kicked every PAT so far? It seems to me if Graham were really being considered, he'd get some game time with his holder kicking PAT's. While they're considered gimme's, it still requires a little synchronization.
So who do you think gets the job?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #79
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
So who do you think gets the job?
Well, I was thinking Bullock, but I just read that he went on IR. So, it would appear Graham gets it by default.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #80
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28199 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
Graham's leg is 8 to 10 yards stronger than Bullock's. Graham has outperformed Bullock. I guess the one thing we haven't seen is which one does a better job of getting in the way of a kick return touchdown run. If they keep Bullock over Graham it's because Kubiak is a Aggie homer. Those sort of decisions of the heart tend to hurt at some point.
No, if they keep Bullock its because he is young, cheap and full of potential. Right now they are toe to toe - Bullock missed a 52 yarder, Graham hasn`t so judging from the preseason Graham has the upper hand. I have no idea how they compare in practice.

But they know what Graham can do from his long career - and they have a feeling what Bullock can do based of his college career. A couple of kicks in preseason probably won`t be the deciding factor. They`ll keep Bullock unless they are seeing something now that they don`t like and didn`t see before, when they draftet him.

I think the main reason for drafting a kicker is to be set for the future at the position. You can always snatch a veteran from the waver wire and be ok. But a drafted rookie gives you a kicker for the future that starts out cheap.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read