Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2012   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Randy Bullock vs Shayne Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Agree. If he let's the fact that they drafted Bullock (thanks Rick) get in the way of his decision to keep the better performer, then I hope he ends up paying for it with critical missed kicks.

Would be funny to see Graham get cut and go to the Colts, Titans or Jaguars.
That's real nice, wishing ill on "your team" because they make a decision you don't agree with.
Old 08-19-2012   #22
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Honestly, I'm not crazy about either of these guys. The ball comes off low from both guys. Neither can kick it through the end zone on kickoffs. Graham looks better, now. But there's nothing on his resume that screams greatness. I was hoping to see something from Bullock, but he looks like just another guy.
I'm glad to see someone else besides me has this same feeling. I was beginning to think I was imagining it. When the season starts, it's just a matter of time before teams start trying to block them for real.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #23
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not crazy about either of these guys. The ball comes off low from both guys. Neither can kick it through the end zone on kickoffs. Graham looks better, now. But there's nothing on his resume that screams greatness. I was hoping to see something from Bullock, but he looks like just another guy.
We were wondering last night if the kickers were told to lay off on the kickoffs, so the return teams could get a chance to do their stuff.
Old 08-19-2012   #24
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I can't believe Randy Bullock missed a 51-yarder. That should be easy money for him. What a nice luxury it must be for the 49ers to have 6-time pro bowler and a future Hall of Famer, David Akers on their team. He made a 55-yarder last night and didn't even blink. I wish Houston had a kicker like that even though they don't come cheap.
Much like what we saw with completion percentage, not every attempt is equally difficult. While there are a lot more factors going into whether or not a pass is complete, the major thing effecting kickers is distance. In 2010, kickers were perfect on kicks of less than 20 yards, made 95% of kicks between 20 and 30 yards, 88% between 30 and 40 yards, 74% between 40 and 50 yards, and 60% on kicks beyond 50.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...al-percentage/

The ability to hit 50 yarders with consistency is the great divide between kickers. Most guys can nail under 45 yards at 90% or better. Interesting, Graham is one of those guys who gets dicey about where he kicked from last night, but is very strong at shorter distances.
Old 08-19-2012   #25
FosterGreatness
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
We were wondering last night if the kickers were told to lay off on the kickoffs, so the return teams could get a chance to do their stuff.
That's a good observation. That would make sense.

That kick Bullock missed last night wasn't because of distance. It made it there, was just wide right. Last week he hit a 52 yarder? I think he has plenty of leg, should be good at kickoffs.
FosterGreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #26
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I had not even considered that.

I have wondered for a while though if Donnie Jones is just a place holder until Hartman recoups and sits out his three games. We all KNOW he can boot it into the stands.

Not saying Jones is doing a bad job at all, but does anyone else subscribe to that line of thought?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #27
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

people are getting on bullock for missing a 51-yarder? he had the distance, it was off to the right, im sure he can work on this. isnt bullock pretty much automatic within 35-40? i remember how shaky rackers was from those distances.. i recall nick scurfield reporting that bullock was outkicking graham in camp making all his kicks and graham missed a few of them..
Old 08-19-2012   #28
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

I have wondered for a while though if Donnie Jones is just a place holder until Hartman recoups and sits out his three games. We all KNOW he can boot it into the stands.

Not saying Jones is doing a bad job at all, but does anyone else subscribe to that line of thought?
also with 4.6 hang time
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #29
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Bullock will win this spot, but it's still too early to call it. Missing a 51 yard FG is not reason enough to make a decision between the two.
Old 08-19-2012   #30
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

Ive wondered what was going to happen here myself tho no one responded to my questioning .... Hartman (if healthy) seems a better punter , much bigger leg.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #31
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Bullock was a 5th round draft pick. For that reason, and that reason alone, Graham will get cut.

I would have thought that would be a given without even having to say it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #32
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Bullock wins the job. Short of a disastrous season, he's our K for years to come.

Hartman is our Punter once his suspension is served. As nice as it would be to go 3 weeks without punting it's just not feasible to go w/o a P on the roster. Jones gets cut after week 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #33
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That's real nice, wishing ill on "your team" because they make a decision you don't agree with.
It's not because it's a decision that I don't agree with. It's only in the case that Graham is cut after being a demonstrable better performer, and Bullock is kept only because he was a draft pick. We've seen enough poor personnel decisions.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #34
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Graham should win the job.

In no way should we trust a rookie kicker with what's on the line this season.

Graham looks calm out there, no freaky action on his kicks. He's making the kicks.

This is one of those Maynard-Hartmann situations where it's plain to see which guy is doing better...so therefore Kubiak will cut the wrong person, IMO.

I wouldnt say Graham has won anything yet , there are still two games to go to decide this battle.

Its easy to make the statement that Bullock has an advantage being drafted .... or thats the only reason he's kept (if thats the case) over Graham with the limited information we as fans have .... Its not like you are at the practice field every day watching the battle there under the microscope of the coaches and team.

I think Gary could win back to back 's and you'd hammer him.

Wasnt Hartmann a rookie who got cut ?! Bad comparison.

Quote:
Agree. If he let's the fact that they drafted Bullock (thanks Rick) get in the way of his decision to keep the better performer, then I hope he ends up paying for it with critical missed kicks.

Would be funny to see Graham get cut and go to the Colts, Titans or Jaguars.
I hope your internet & TV goes out .... during every game this season.

Old 08-19-2012   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Graham seems to have the edge now but Randy may just be battling his groin strain more than he's letting on. I still think he will be the Texans kicker his trajectory goes vertical so much quicker which takes more leg strength. If you watch Graham closely you'll notice his kicks or more of the line driver nature, that are easily returnable or blocked in FG situations.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #36
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not because it's a decision that I don't agree with. It's only in the case that Graham is cut after being a demonstrable better performer, and Bullock is kept only because he was a draft pick. We've seen enough poor personnel decisions.
bs, its been 2 preseason games. bullock has missed 1 kick, (a 51-yarder at that).. what happens next week when graham misses 1 kick? thru training camp bullock has been the more accurate of the 2.. read the articles on HT about the kicking competition.. if you think graham has outperformed bullock youre talkin out your ass..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-s-second-miss
Old 08-19-2012   #37
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think either one can kick it out of the end zone. From what I've seen, more of Graham's kickoffs go deeper into it.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #38
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
bs, its been 2 preseason games. bullock has missed 1 kick, (a 51-yarder at that).. what happens next week when graham misses 1 kick? thru training camp bullock has been the more accurate of the 2.. read the articles on HT about the kicking competition.. if you think graham has outperformed bullock youre talkin out your ass..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-s-second-miss
I didn't say Graham has outperformed Bullock. I said, in the event that Graham does outperform Bullock, Graham deserves the job. Struggle with reading comprehension?
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #39
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think Gary could win back to back 's and you'd hammer him.
I'd like to see that theory tested.
Old 08-19-2012   #40
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'd like to see that theory tested.
You and me both brother.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read