Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2012   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Randy Bullock vs Shayne Graham

Graham made field goals from 48 and 49 yards tonight while Bullock missed from 51. He did make a 52 yarder last week though. It's hard to imagine the Texans cutting Bullock since they drafted him in the 5th round, but if Graham kicks better in the preseason then they'll have a touch choice to make. Anyone have any thoughts about the kicking battle?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Need to see more.

A close battle goes to the youngster....despite his ps eligibility.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #3
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Randy Bullock vs Shayne Graham

Randy Bullock will have a mysterious injury coming in a couple weeks, I think.
Old 08-19-2012   #4
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Graham made field goals from 48 and 49 yards tonight while Bullock missed from 51. He did make a 52 yarder last week though. It's hard to imagine the Texans cutting Bullock since they drafted him in the 5th round, but if Graham kicks better in the preseason then they'll have a touch choice to make. Anyone have any thoughts about the kicking battle?
In Preseason here is what we have seen:

Bullock: make 21, 52, miss 51, 3/4 on fgs, and 3/3 on epa.
Graham: make 20, 37, 48, 49. 4/4 on fgs.

Bullock has been 3/4 on fgs and the miss was a 51 yarder. That is not exactly a gimmie. There is no shame in missing a 51 yarder. Graham is 4/4 but has also been given 2 gimmies (20 and 37) along with 2 challenging 48/49.

I think this is still Bullock's job to lose. For Graham to win this job, Bullock has to miss a few in the 30 yard range and I don't see that happening.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

What was the distance on grahms 4th fg? You have him 3/4 but I only see 3 listed.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #6
FosterGreatness
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
In Preseason here is what we have seen:

Bullock: make 21, 52, miss 51, 3/4 on fgs, and 3/3 on epa.
Graham: make 20, 37, 48, 49. 4/4 on fgs.

Bullock has been 3/4 on fgs and the miss was a 51 yarder. That is not exactly a gimmie. There is no shame in missing a 51 yarder. Graham is 4/4 but has also been given 2 gimmies (20 and 37) along with 2 challenging 48/49.

I think this is still Bullock's job to lose. For Graham to win this job, Bullock has to miss a few in the 30 yard range and I don't see that happening.
Good Post.

Edit: I also see Bullock winning the job. I think Graham is there just to pressure him and see what he's made of.
FosterGreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Graham should win the job.

In no way should we trust a rookie kicker with what's on the line this season.

Graham looks calm out there, no freaky action on his kicks. He's making the kicks.

This is one of those Maynard-Hartmann situations where it's plain to see which guy is doing better...so therefore Kubiak will cut the wrong person, IMO.
Old 08-19-2012   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Graham looks calm out there, no freaky action on his kicks. He's making the kicks.

This is one of those Maynard-Hartmann situations where it's plain to see which guy is doing better...so therefore Kubiak will cut the wrong person, IMO.
I subscribe to this. To this point, Graham is ahead.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #9
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Randy Bullock will have a mysterious injury coming in a couple weeks, I think.
If Graham keeps making his goals, this.
Old 08-19-2012   #10
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
What was the distance on grahms 4th fg? You have him 3/4 but I only see 3 listed.
Sorry it was a typo.

Graham has attempted 4 fgs and has made all 4(20, 37, 48, 49)
Bullock has attempted 3 and has made 2(21 and 52) and missed a 51.
Bullock is also 4/4 on epas.

50+ fgs are tough tough kicks to make. I would like to see Bullock attempt some 40 yarders. All he has had is really easy(epas, 20) and really hard(51/52). Graham has gotten the more reasonable assignment thus far. If Bullock can nail those 40 yarders(as I think he can), its his job. If he cant hit his 40s he may develop an "injury" and need to go on IR.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

This kicker battle is wide open ... I have no idea who wins it.

One thing that concerns me about both is the lack of depth on KO's.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 241209 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Graham has a good track record int he NFL. I think he had some injury issues the last couple years, but not sure about that. Looks healthy now, at any rate. He's a vet that won't let the big moments get to him. I thought when they brought him in that he was washed up and was just here to provide some light competition and maybe a little pro advice for the youngster. Now I'm thinking Graham didn't get that memo. He wants this job. I'm torn right now.
Old 08-19-2012   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Graham has a good track record int he NFL. I think he had some injury issues the last couple years, but not sure about that. Looks healthy now, at any rate. He's a vet that won't let the big moments get to him. I thought when they brought him in that he was washed up and was just here to provide some light competition and maybe a little pro advice for the youngster. Now I'm thinking Graham didn't get that memo. He wants this job. I'm torn right now.

My exact feelings on this.

Bullock I thought was going to be our long-term solution at kicker but Graham has made it too close to call. We can't assume anything.

Anyone ever put a kicker on the practice squad?
Old 08-19-2012   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I'm not crazy about either of these guys. The ball comes off low from both guys. Neither can kick it through the end zone on kickoffs. Graham looks better, now. But there's nothing on his resume that screams greatness. I was hoping to see something from Bullock, but he looks like just another guy.
Old 08-19-2012   #15
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Graham's kickoffs overall have been better as well. I think I trust him a little more with the job right now. Man, I hate even typing that.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #16
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep in mind, after seven seasons with the Bengals, even being an All Pro/Pro Bowler one season, and breaking many of the Bengals franchise records... he wasn't re-signed by the Bengals after missing two field goals in a playoff game against the Jets. He even missed a 27-yarder.

If the Bengals don't trust Graham in the playoffs, why should we?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
If the Bengals don't trust Graham in the playoffs, why should we?
Mainly because the Texans don't have anyone better.
Old 08-19-2012   #18
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe Randy Bullock missed a 51-yarder. That should be easy money for him. What a nice luxury it must be for the 49ers to have 6-time pro bowler and a future Hall of Famer, David Akers on their team. He made a 55-yarder last night and didn't even blink. I wish Houston had a kicker like that even though they don't come cheap.
Old 08-19-2012   #19
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Mainly because the Texans don't have anyone better.
Let's just hope we don't settle for too many FGs during the big games. We will have arguably the worst kicker out of all the playoff teams.
Old 08-19-2012   #20
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Agree. If he let's the fact that they drafted Bullock (thanks Rick) get in the way of his decision to keep the better performer, then I hope he ends up paying for it with critical missed kicks.

Would be funny to see Graham get cut and go to the Colts, Titans or Jaguars.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read