Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2012   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kevin Walter can go sit on the bench..

There is no longer any reason why he should be the #2 WR any more.

Start Jean outside opposite Andre and make Keshawn the guy that you move in and out of the slot.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #2
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Not going to happen. Kubes won't have a rookie and guy coming off the practice squad at WR2 and WR3.
Walter is an above average downfield blocker, and knows where he is supposed to be on any given play.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 32564 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kevin Walter can go sit on the bench..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

Start Jean outside opposite Andre and make Keshawn the guy that you move in and out of the slot.
I was thinking Martin #2, Jean #3, and Walter #4.

Has Posey even caught a pass yet?

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #4
SmoochyTX
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 2158 SmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Not going to happen. Kubes won't have a rookie and guy coming off the practice squad at WR2 and WR3.
Walter is an above average downfield blocker, and knows where he is supposed to be on any given play.
This.
Old 08-18-2012   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

I'm starting to lean that way....

A lot if people acting like there is no way this'll happen and I just disagree. A lot of people were shocked when Demeco was traded and felt like that wouldn't happen either.

I don't know if they start the season ahead of Walter, but if they keep this up they'll definitely eat into his snaps.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #6
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Kevin Walter will always have a moment in Texans history with his game winning TD to seal our first AFC division title.

But if if Jean and Martin can produce and show they know where to be, then I don't see why we can't usher in the next era of Texan receivers.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

FWIW, Walter had his man beat for a TD in the end zone, but Schaub threw it too high on what was I think his only real incompletion.
Old 08-19-2012   #8
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i see it like this

#1 AJ

#2 Posey/KW

#3 SLot Martin

#4 Jean

#6 Kick returner Holiday

has u can see we have to many good WR's kinda a good problem but

has i see it right now and even tho it sucks If it was me i would have to Cut KW and Holiday
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i see it like this

#1 AJ

#2 Posey/KW

#3 SLot Martin

#4 Jean

#6 Kick returner Holiday
Personally, I want to see Jean take over Walter's spot, and I added the Posey pick to my mental list of WTF moments that Smithiak has committed.

That said, If Matt throws a catchable ball in the first quarter to Walter in the end zone, I suspect tonight's conversation might have a slightly different tone to it.
Old 08-19-2012   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Im tired of hearing about Kevin Walter's run blocking.. if this is the case let's just line a FB out wide.

His primary job is to catch footballs and make plays... so how many catches does he have this preseason? Fact is, he's being out played by two young bucks.. young bucks who are much better playmakers and much more explosive. Also from what I've seen so far, it looks like they know where to be as well.. it's not like they need a map in order to line up.

This offense needs more players who can score from anywhere on the field. Where we don't have to rely on stringing together a bunch of plays. Walter is not that guy.
Old 08-19-2012   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 86117 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Too many good WRs?!?

We have one good WR (when healthy) Johnson.

One pretty good, KW.

And a bunch of unproven young guys. Let's see how they react when the bullets are real and the D actually game plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Personally, I want to see Jean take over Walter's spot, and I added the Posey pick to my mental list of WTF moments that Smithiak has committed.

That said, If Matt throws a catchable ball in the first quarter to Walter in the end zone, I suspect tonight's conversation might have a slightly different tone to it.
I've seen Walter catch a TD or two since he's been here. Catching one in the preseason wouldn't really change my opinion of him. He doesn't have the blazing speed to make me think he's going to behind too many defenses. I don't see him pulling away from anyone, breaking any ankles..... or changing the game.

Walter is a #3 in this league.

That said, I haven't seen enough of the kids to suggest they should supplant him. But I am liking what I've seen so far.
Posey was a third round pick, he might be the best of the bunch, but it may take time before he catches on. Keyshawn.... a lower pick than Posey seems like he was born for this. That's special, & rare. LeSean, if he hadn't got hurt last year, I think Jacoby wouldn't have made the team last season.....
Old 08-19-2012   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Tbh I think kw is a good wr, I just think we can do better at his position. He'd make excellent depth though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
For me it wouldn't be.. I'm sure if Jean would've ran the same route on the same play he would've been available to over throw as well. You see it's not about one random catch or even one random TD reception.. it's about the amount of targets or should I say the amount of times that you're targeted. It sure is funny how Jean and Martin get multiple passes thrown their way regardless who is the QB, but all Walter will get is his one lone token pass... maybe. That right there tells me he does not get open/seperation on a consistent basis.

I used to defend Walter with all the "but he's a good run blocker" crap as well, but after last season I was done with him. With Andre down and with his only real competition being a bipoler Jones the guy still couldn't get targeted consistently.. and I don't think it had anything to do with Schaub or T.J. After that it became deafening how greatly we needed to upgrade the #2 WR position.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-19-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2012   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156516 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Kevin Walter isn't going to be benched, that's not happening. But, the fact this thread even exists means we believe our WR situation isn't as dire as we thought. And that's a very good thing.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 32564 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i see it like this

#1 AJ

#2 Posey/KW

#3 SLot Martin

#4 Jean

#6 Kick returner Holiday

has u can see we have to many good WR's kinda a good problem but

has i see it right now and even tho it sucks If it was me i would have to Cut KW and Holiday
I disagree with you on this one. What has Posey done to earn the #2 spot? IMO its a 3 way battle for the second spot between Martin, Jean, and Walter. Posey has played himself onto the practice squad cus there is no way I am cutting Holliday, an actual productive player, in favor of Posey. I dont care where Posey was drafted.

Old 08-19-2012   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nah, you keep him for this season.

He is proven, knows the system, run blocks well, and has sticky hands. He wont put up awesome stats, but he has a role.

Now, his playing time could be reduced based on the situation on the field.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #18
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 51471 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Kevin Walter isn't going to be benched, that's not happening. But, the fact this thread even exists means we believe our WR situation isn't as dire as we thought. And that's a very good thing.
Yep. Kubiak likes Walter too much. According to him Kevin Walter will one day cure world hunger, while blocking the looters.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #19
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I disagree with you on this one. What has Posey done to earn the #2 spot? IMO its a 3 way battle for the second spot between Martin, Jean, and Walter. Posey has played himself onto the practice squad cus there is no way I am cutting Holliday, an actual productive player, in favor of Posey. I dont care where Posey was drafted.
Posey needs more time. He was out all last year.

There were good reports coming out of training camp about him and I would like to see what he could do with the 1st team or at least the 2nd team.

Martin and Jean have earned their reps and have been great I would just like to see Posey playing with a more experienced QB. Even if they just throw it to him deep a few times to see what he can do.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #20
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
Posey needs more time. He was out all last year.

There were good reports coming out of training camp about him and I would like to see what he could do with the 1st team or at least the 2nd team.

Martin and Jean have earned their reps and have been great I would just like to see Posey playing with a more experienced QB. Even if they just throw it to him deep a few times to see what he can do.
Martin and Jean beat out Posey for playing time with the first teamers.

Posey sitting out all of last year only reinforces the fact the he needs to go to the practice squad. I can't think of any productive player I would cut just so I can give a spot to Posey. He can not make plays sitting at home watching the game.

Actually I expect him to have some sort of odd injury that will get him IR'd the last week of preseason.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read