Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-01-2012   #101
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario not so super so far

Cris Carter on Mario this morning:
Quote:
New England had protection problems the first three games. They didn't have those problems with Buffalo.

Mario Williams, I just don't see it. I don't see the intensity in every rep. I don't see the attitude that he wants to be a great player. To me, it's not always about the money it's about the attitude. You know, when you spend this type of money and bring a player to Buffalo, I mean, you're expecting great things... not only from a productivity standpoint but also from an energy and leadership standpoint. I don't see that from #94 in Buffalo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
In the immortal words of Joel Buschbaum...

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane
Man. I miss Joel Buschmaum.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #102
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Millions
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #103
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Stole this line from some commentator talkign about CJ, but it applies here too:

Its hard to rush the passer when you've got a sack of money on your back
Old 10-01-2012   #104
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly feel sorry for Buffalo, they've just killed their salary cap for several years to come.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #105
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I honestly feel sorry for Buffalo, they've just killed their salary cap for several years to come.
It's not all that bad, they can cut him after the second year and only have to take an 11.4 million dollar hit. If they did that, they would have paid him about 33 million for two years of work. Tough caphit, but it's cheaper than the 18.4 million he's scheduled to make that third year. He has a 10 million dollar roster bonus in the third year, which I think will be the deciding factor of whether or not he stays.
Old 10-01-2012   #106
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

What, exactly, did Buffalo think they were getting when they signed Mario? I ask this question in all seriousness. The line on Mario for years has been that he's very, very inconsistent. Yes, sometimes a change of scene can revive a career; but, that is not likely to happen to a player in his sixth year.

Mario is who he is.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #107
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Something to consider: I'm not so sure the NFL hasn't bypassed Wannstedt's "vanilla" defense coaching style.
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2012   #108
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

The Mario Williams Report

Excerpts:
Quote:
When the Buffalo Bills reached out to Mario Williams, courted him and signed him to the biggest contract in NFL history signed by a defensive player, they had to think they were getting a player that could finally help against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.
Why was he so inefficient?
What you're about to read will not only be a bit jarring, but also might make fans of the team a bit sick to their stomachs. Here is his performance against New England broken down in to numbers:

Time on Field: 89.6% snaps played, 69 total
Performance vs. Dropback Passes
Sacks - 0 (0% success rate)
QB Hurries - 2 (6.9% success rate)
Pancaked - 1

Pass Blocking Schemes Used Against
Times Double Teamed - 1
Times Chipped - 3
True 1-on-1 vs Dropback Passes - 86.2% (25 of 29)

Thoughts:
Williams was a non-factor against the pass despite facing only one double team throughout the entire game.

Performance vs. Run
Right Side (towards Williams) - 7.0 YPC, 77 yards, 0 touchdowns
Left Side (away from Williams) - 6.4 YPC, 146 yards, 3 touchdowns
Williams Stats - 2 tackles (1 TFL)

Run Blocking Schemes Used Against
Times Double Teamed - 0
Times Blocked by Tight End - 8
True 1-on-1 vs. Running Plays - 100%

Thoughts:
While the Patriots stayed away from Williams a majority of the time on the ground, the times that they did run at him they actually had a better rushing average than when they ran to the left.
All of this information begs one question. How is he not more effective for the Bills with that many one-on-one opportunities...?
read complete article: http://wgr550.com/The-Mario-Williams-Report/14384821
Old 10-01-2012   #109
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
One of these days I'm going to get to watch a Buffalo game & I'll be able to have my own opinion of the situation. I know, & most everyone here knows, that Mario wasn't the problem with our defense. He was the only one in our front seven able to pressure the QB for a long time. Antonio came in & there was some help, but even then, he didn't "finish" as consistently as Mario did.

Our biggest problem, when Mario was here, was our ability to defend the pass in the secondary. QBs were able to get rid of the ball in less than 2.5 seconds. No pass rush has a chance against that.

Right now, Buffalo is playing with a 2nd year player & a rookie @ CB... does that sound familiar to anyone?

Note: I'm not defending Mario. This is not an "in the defense of Mario" post. I'm only saying I need to see the games myself. Even on our worst defenses, Mario wasn't the problem. He still managed to put pressure on the QB & get double digit sacks if he was able to stay healthy. That was his biggest issue. Staying healthy.

However, I will say that I thought with Kyle Williams, Mark Anderson, & Marcell Darius, I figured they would be enough to get pressure on the QB. Unless you guys are saying all four of them a lazy worthless P.O.S. I dont' know what to tell ya. But I wouldn't hesitate to put that front four on the field.
Old 10-01-2012   #110
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched the last part of the buffalo/pats game and Mario didn't look good. He has packed that weight back on and he looks like a beast, but plays regular.

6'6" and doesn't put his hands up. One time I recall Brady threw the ball right over his head and Mario never attempted to disrupt the throw.

He's not a very active, get the job done at all cost type of player.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #111
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
One of these days I'm going to get to watch a Buffalo game & I'll be able to have my own opinion of the situation. I know, & most everyone here knows, that Mario wasn't the problem with our defense. He was the only one in our front seven able to pressure the QB for a long time. Antonio came in & there was some help, but even then, he didn't "finish" as consistently as Mario did.

Our biggest problem, when Mario was here, was our ability to defend the pass in the secondary. QBs were able to get rid of the ball in less than 2.5 seconds. No pass rush has a chance against that.

Right now, Buffalo is playing with a 2nd year player & a rookie @ CB... does that sound familiar to anyone?

Note: I'm not defending Mario. This is not an "in the defense of Mario" post. I'm only saying I need to see the games myself. Even on our worst defenses, Mario wasn't the problem. He still managed to put pressure on the QB & get double digit sacks if he was able to stay healthy. That was his biggest issue. Staying healthy.

However, I will say that I thought with Kyle Williams, Mark Anderson, & Marcell Darius, I figured they would be enough to get pressure on the QB. Unless you guys are saying all four of them a lazy worthless P.O.S. I dont' know what to tell ya. But I wouldn't hesitate to put that front four on the field.
To not be defending MW this post seems like that's exactly what you're doing.

MW is what he is. A guy that has all world ability but doesn't really care for the game of football. He does love the $$$$, cars,women etc... that football has allowed him to have.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. He's Buffalo's problem now. I'm just glad that the Texans defense is full of guys that football is their life. Talent isn't everything. (See MW)

Party on MW
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #112
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
Honestly, serves them right. I may be holding a petty grudge, but I remember when he signed with Buffalo it wasn't enough for their fans to be excited for the signing.

Even their own GM took one. I remember (either at a press conference or a radio interview) he mentioned how they'd use him where he "belongs," and never have him drop back in coverage (as if we used him almost extensively in coverage).

Mario isn't the only one to blame for this, I'm pretty sure Dave Wannstedt has a lot more to do with why they're struggling defensively, but it's still nice to see Bills fans complain after they dogged on Houston so much after getting Mario.
January 3rd 1993. Screw you bills.

Houston's revenge.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #113
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
January 3rd 1993. Screw you bills.

Houston's revenge.
Best served cold.
Old 10-01-2012   #114
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Best served cold.
Yeah, enjoy the winter Mario.
Old 10-02-2012   #115
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
It's not all that bad, they can cut him after the second year and only have to take an 11.4 million dollar hit. If they did that, they would have paid him about 33 million for two years of work. Tough caphit, but it's cheaper than the 18.4 million he's scheduled to make that third year. He has a 10 million dollar roster bonus in the third year, which I think will be the deciding factor of whether or not he stays.
It looks like you're omitting the $8 Million option bonus he gets for the 2013 season. That would bump up the two year cost to around $40 Million, and the cap hit (if released after year two) to about $17.6 Million (which could probably then be split 50/50) over the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

I haven't seen anything definitive on whether the 2013 bonus is guaranteed, but even if it isn't, you're scenario assumed letting him go after year two (plus essentially, being in year two, it's guaranteed from a practical standpoint if not a technical one).
Old 10-02-2012   #116
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Good riddance to bad rubbish. He's Buffalo's problem now. I'm just glad that the Texans defense is full of guys that football is their life. Talent isn't everything. (See MW)

Party on MW
Except the guy who is playing Mario's position now is being "accused" of disappearing, tanking, not putting in the effort. Jj Watt is one thing, but he's not playing the position Mario was playing.

Are we missing Mario? No, we've got a great defensive team. But, it could be better. "They" would be talking about our pass rush the way "they" talk about NYGiants if Mario was here doing what he did over the first 5 games of last season.

Season is still young. Mercilus may step up & take that WOLB spot & move Barwin where he belongs (SOLB), then everything will be everything. But right now, that position on our team is severely under-performing.

I'm watching these games & I have no idea, reasoning, for it. Our pass defense provides time for Jj Watt to get to the QB, should be enough time for an outside pass rusher (which Barwin is not). Jj & Antonio are commanding doubles, triples, chips, etc... there's no reason for Connor not to be going off, other than he's playing out of position.
Old 10-02-2012   #117
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
Mario also doesn't have an alpha dog mentality. He prefers to follow which is great if you have a pack of wild, defensive dogs to run with

Mario is a bull rusher who is, quite frankly, best suited to play 5-technique in a 3-4. He's not an elite pass rusher & never has been

Mario Williams is the same player now that he was before, but Bills fans thought they were getting Superman. Mario's best years were 2007/08
Old 10-02-2012   #118
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Except the guy who is playing Mario's position now is being "accused" of disappearing, tanking, not putting in the effort. Jj Watt is one thing, but he's not playing the position Mario was playing.

Are we missing Mario? No, we've got a great defensive team. But, it could be better. "They" would be talking about our pass rush the way "they" talk about NYGiants if Mario was here doing what he did over the first 5 games of last season.

Season is still young. Mercilus may step up & take that WOLB spot & move Barwin where he belongs (SOLB), then everything will be everything. But right now, that position on our team is severely under-performing.

I'm watching these games & I have no idea, reasoning, for it. Our pass defense provides time for Jj Watt to get to the QB, should be enough time for an outside pass rusher (which Barwin is not). Jj & Antonio are commanding doubles, triples, chips, etc... there's no reason for Connor not to be going off, other than he's playing out of position.
Not a single doubt in my mind that if we still had Mario that he'd easily have 3 or 4 sacks if not more by now.

For his career he should have done all he could to stay here, remain on a top defense. I think he would have made that money back in satisfaction and lifelong endorsements trying to help build a legendary defense here. Him, Watt, Cushing could have been like Ngata,Lewis, Scott.

Coaches in the NFL are huge, that's really all there is to it. (Just look at the Saints...Patriots remain consistent because of their great coach.) Buffalo has a lot of talent on that dline and no one gets pressure.

I wish they would have worked something out with him here. I don't understand how the Eagles are able to manage the cap so well...but yeah if he was still here he'd have more sacks then he has and really I always felt like he was better against the run. I think our run defense is mainly missing Demeco but also Mario has always been good against the run.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #119
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Outside of 5 games in a contract season Mario Williams was just a dog during the majority of his time in Houston.. and no, when he played with Smith along the line, he never "finished more consistently"... never. Fans overrate the hell out of sacks.. give me a guy who plays with all out effort when he's on the field, supplies pressure and may or may not get a sack over a guy who'll get a sack and then become casper the friendly gohst the rest of the game. Antonio Smith was our best defensive lineman the moment he stepped on the field.

I said it before last season ended.. we don't need to sign Mario Williams and it would be a waste of money for the amount it was going to take to bring him back. I don't think he's lazy.. I just don't think he cares. He's kind of like the David Carr of DEs, he lacks motivation. He doesn't have the fire in his belly.. if he loses or wins it doesn't effect him any differently.. It's the reason why he chose to sign in Buffalo when he could've took a little less money and signed with a number of winning franchises.. the guy flat out does not care about wins and losses. He'll cash his check and go home just the same.

It's the reason why our 2nd year DE already has a extensive array of pass rushing moves, is already more polished than Mario ever will be, and has a greater motor and plays with more effort than Mario ever will. Mario is blessed with rare physical skills, skills that should allow him to challenge Watt in the sack department, but he never wanted to put in the work.. which is the reason why he's still only rocking that lame bull rush or his signature move where he tries to run around the tackle and he just runs himself out of the play. Mario Williams is nothing, but a tinman.. He has no heart.

As far as Barwin goes, I haven't seen anybody accuse him of tanking or not putting in the effort. Does he have any sacks, No, but since he's in a contract year I highly doubt it's due to a lack of trying. I've seen him around the QB multiple times. You also say his natural position is at SOLB.. he only had 1 sack through the first 5 games last season and Brooks Reed is playing fine over there, I'd rather leave things alone. Mario Williams only has 1 sack, by the end of season Barwin will pass him and this will all be a moot point.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-02-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #120
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

I'm watching the 1st game (Bills/Jets) :

Mario is trying bull rush moves vs the Jets Ts. Every time he notices it DOESN'T work, he'd literally stop going. "**** it, I can't beat him". Stops fighting once his "move" didn't work. He beat #77 Austin Howard once, late in the 1st half.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read