Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2012   #21
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: Some Texans Olinemen Not Happy with OL

If the OL is just as good this year - hope those same someone's get the praise.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #22
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for posting.

This is indicative of the problems that are going to become apparent on the right side of the offensive line as the season progresses. The fact of the matter is that the Texans elevated two guys who were not able to crack the starting lineup last year. It's fine to give players a chance, but it's stupid to take the risk of replacing a group of players that require so much chemistry.

Arian's productivity is going to suffer, and it's going to have an effect on the passing game. We will likely see it this weekend against the 49ers.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #23
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Thanks for posting.

This is indicative of the problems that are going to become apparent on the right side of the offensive line as the season progresses. The fact of the matter is that the Texans elevated two guys who were not able to crack the starting lineup last year. It's fine to give players a chance, but it's stupid to take the risk of replacing a group of players that require so much chemistry.

Arian's productivity is going to suffer, and it's going to have an effect on the passing game. We will likely see it this weekend against the 49ers.
Caldwell looked good IMO. It looks as if RT is going to be our onlu O-line hole which is better than 90% of the teams out there.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #24
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Caldwell looked good IMO. It looks as if RT is going to be our onlu O-line hole which is better than 90% of the teams out there.
Yes, it will be good to see how they perform over the next few weeks.
Old 08-17-2012   #25
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
That's what they get for letting Winston and Briesel (sp) go!! No one to blame for a weak OL except Rick Smith!! JMO!!!
An O-line with Duane Brown, Chris Myers, and Wade Smith is anything but weak. If we wouldn't have let Brisel walk, and cut Winston, we wouldn't have been able to ink myers to a deal. And we probably wouldn't have had the room to extend Duane brown to the deal we got on him. Oh which btw, last I checked, Rick Smith was the who made those deals happen. Call me a kool aid drinker, but the way RS has been operating this team is great. Keep the players you need to keep, while signing them to friendly deals. The players who want more and who are replaceable, simply leave. The situation with the team NOW, justifies all of the players we have given away this offseason. I think our success is about to be long term. Under Rick, we have been making smart deals over the past couple of years. And not throwing money at other players and tanking our franchise. I have called you out on this before, and yes I know it is your opinion. However, it isn't warranted. I, and I feel a majority of this board, are happy as fans with rick smiths performance so far. You should be too. Has there ever been a time before now when we were as successful? No. And who can you think for the recent success? Rick Smith. Of course it isn't just him, the entire team has their own role, but RS deserves credit. I know you have been a fan since the inception. I know you were a fan of the oilers before as well. We are on the cusp of greatness. Give Rick a tad more credit. That way, you won't be eating crow when he is hoisting up the Lombardi trophey with McNair and company in February! Thanks, and I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #26
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
An O-line with Duane Brown, Chris Myers, and Wade Smith is anything but weak. If we wouldn't have let Brisel walk, and cut Winston, we wouldn't have been able to ink myers to a deal. And we probably wouldn't have had the room to extend Duane brown to the deal we got on him. Oh which btw, last I checked, Rick Smith was the who made those deals happen. Call me a kool aid drinker, but the way RS has been operating this team is great. Keep the players you need to keep, while signing them to friendly deals. The players who want more and who are replaceable, simply leave. The situation with the team NOW, justifies all of the players we have given away this offseason. I think our success is about to be long term. Under Rick, we have been making smart deals over the past couple of years. And not throwing money at other players and tanking our franchise. I have called you out on this before, and yes I know it is your opinion. However, it isn't warranted. I, and I feel a majority of this board, are happy as fans with rick smiths performance so far. You should be too. Has there ever been a time before now when we were as successful? No. And who can you think for the recent success? Rick Smith. Of course it isn't just him, the entire team has their own role, but RS deserves credit. I know you have been a fan since the inception. I know you were a fan of the oilers before as well. We are on the cusp of greatness. Give Rick a tad more credit. That way, you won't be eating crow when he is hoisting up the Lombardi trophey with McNair and company in February! Thanks, and I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears.
I will take my neg rep and continue to have my own opinion! That said, I'm not a moron! I know what it takes to be successful! Change happens all the time in the NFL! We moan and groan, vent, biatch, threaten to quit, place blame, etc, etc. That's what we've done on this message board since Kevin started it, until now!! I'll give credit when credit is due. We have had ONE successful season, and I give Wade Phillips credit for that! As a very good friend and fellow poster told me, don't try to fix what's not broken!! Our Oline was not broken last year, it was pretty darn good!! WHEN we are all celebrating our TEAM holding up that Lombardi, I'll give credit to those who got them there. If that includes RS, then he will get it. The verdict is still out. Your message did not fall on deaf ears, nor did it fall on a stup*d woman! I will keep an open mind because I love my team, and I want them to win a SB! I don't care who gets them there, as long as it happens!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #27
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I will take my neg rep and continue to have my own opinion! That said, I'm not a moron! I know what it takes to be successful! Change happens all the time in the NFL! We moan and groan, vent, biatch, threaten to quit, place blame, etc, etc. That's what we've done on this message board since Kevin started it, until now!! I'll give credit when credit is due. We have had ONE successful season, and I give Wade Phillips credit for that! As a very good friend and fellow poster told me, don't try to fix what's not broken!! Our Oline was not broken last year, it was pretty darn good!! WHEN we are all celebrating our TEAM holding up that Lombardi, I'll give credit to those who got them there. If that includes RS, then he will get it. The verdict is still out. Your message did not fall on deaf ears, nor did it fall on a stup*d woman! I will keep an open mind because I love my team, and I want them to win a SB! I don't care who gets them there, as long as it happens!!
If we didn't mess with it now we would have lost even more important pieces down the road.
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2012   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 172712 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I will take my neg rep and continue to have my own opinion!...
Should not have received neg rep for that.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #29
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We have had ONE successful season, and I give Wade Phillips credit for that!
Wade made the defense better, but who signed the talent for him to work with? Rick Smith is just as accountable for last season as Wade is.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #30
FosterGreatness
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
Wade made the defense better, but who signed the talent for him to work with? Rick Smith is just as accountable for last season as Wade is.
I like Rick Smith but I think Wade is probably the one who pushed for Watt and Reed.
FosterGreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #31
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143455 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

This was also discussed in the Chron a couple days back here's a link to the article - John McClain.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #32
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterGreatness View Post
I like Rick Smith but I think Wade is probably the one who pushed for Watt and Reed.
Undoubtedly. I give Wade all the credit for the turnaround last season.
Old 08-18-2012   #33
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2679 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rick Smith has turned one of the worst NFL rosters I've ever seen into arguably one of the top 3 talented rosters. He brought in Glover Quinn, Kareem Jackson, Daniel Manning, Connor Barwin, Joseph, Cushing, Brice, Shaun Cody and a bunch of other impact players that no one wants to give him credit for.

Kubiak, Rick Smith and Wade were all important to turning this franchise around. They all deserve credit!!
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
That's what they get for letting Winston and Briesel (sp) go!! No one to blame for a weak OL except Rick Smith!! JMO!!!
Weak OL?

I think you're missing the point. You're right, this is what they get for letting Winston go.... real leadership.
Old 08-18-2012   #35
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wade didn't have anything to do with Arian Foster or Ben Tate or Duane Brown or Chris Myers. Without them last year, our offense would have been non-existent.
So, no, Wade cannot get "all the credit" for the turnaround.
Old 08-18-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Cleveland, Jacksonville, Seahawks, Jets.........

Alex, the Question is, "Name four top ten defenses from 2011 that didn't make the play-offs."
Old 08-18-2012   #37
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

This is good news when players step up and call meetings, means they are looking to each other for accountability.

I am sure the right side of the line will get things right, Benton will see to that. This is a really a talented group overall.

Far as the job Rick Smith has done overall...it's taken a long time, but he seems to have gotten it right. Now it's a question of maintaining it moving forward.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #38
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not happy with what I've seen so far on the right side. The cut-back lanes just aren't there like with Brisel & Winston.

Caldwell looks quicker, but does not have nasty demeanor of Brisel. Brooks is closer (nasty streak) but lumbers downfield. Butler can set the edge as good or better than Winston but doesn' pull & smother guys in running game. Newton lacks size so has to use speed & power to be a dominant RT.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #39
The Medic01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm not happy with what I've seen so far on the right side. The cut-back lanes just aren't there like with Brisel & Winston.

Caldwell looks quicker, but does not have nasty demeanor of Brisel. Brooks is closer (nasty streak) but lumbers downfield. Butler can set the edge as good or better than Winston but doesn' pull & smother guys in running game. Newton lacks size so has to use speed & power to be a dominant RT.
Remember that this 9ers defense was far and away the best run defense in the nfl. I looked at their week by week rushing stats and they gave up one 100 yard game against Marshawn Lynch.
They faced some good backs as well.
Lesean McCoy
Ray Rice
Marshawn Lynch x2
Steven Jackson x2
Only Lynch had one hundred yard game. Their run defense was insane last year. Not worried about the line.
Old 08-19-2012   #40
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad we have the veteran leadership on the O-line that are willing to call each other out and fix the problem. I don't like what I've seen on the right side so far, but it got better in game 2, and I have confidence it'll get better before the season starts.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read