Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2012   #81
FosterGreatness
Rookie

Default Re: Thoughts on Conner Barwin being expendable?

Personally I think Barwin signs a team friendly deal before the season and stays with the team. It shouldn't be that hard as management to convince him to do so. "You were injured for your second season. Granted you came back and had a wonderful year but that in itself doesn't warrant a big money contract. Also we (should) have a more than capable backup in the form of Whitney Mercilus."

If Barwin and his agent choose to walk for more money, you Franchise him. You may lose some money but, you keep Barwin locked up for one more year, let Mercilus further get acclimated to the NFL and he's gone in 2014. Or they could put a non exclusive Franchise Tag on him and test the waters to see what other teams would pay him, if it's too much for the Texans to handle you let him go, go with Mercilus and get two first round picks. You could then use those picks to create depth behind Mercilus/Reed.

The Texans have options but Schaub is far more valuable in my opinion.
FosterGreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #82
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterGreatness View Post
Personally I think Barwin signs a team friendly deal before the season and stays with the team. It shouldn't be that hard as management to convince him to do so. "You were injured for your second season. Granted you came back and had a wonderful year but that in itself doesn't warrant a big money contract. Also we (should) have a more than capable backup in the form of Whitney Mercilus."

If Barwin and his agent choose to walk for more money, you Franchise him. You may lose some money but, you keep Barwin locked up for one more year, let Mercilus further get acclimated to the NFL and he's gone in 2014. Or they could put a non exclusive Franchise Tag on him and test the waters to see what other teams would pay him, if it's too much for the Texans to handle you let him go, go with Mercilus and get two first round picks. You could then use those picks to create depth behind Mercilus/Reed.

The Texans have options but Schaub is far more valuable in my opinion.

This is why you sign Barwin now. It makes more sense to franchise Schaub if you have to.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #83
FosterGreatness
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
This is why you sign Barwin now. It makes more sense to franchise Schaub if you have to.
I would think it would be more expensive to franchise Schaub but I'm not really certain on that. I do agree with you about signing Barwin now. I think they could also sign Schaub and stay under the cap if they get a decent discount on Barwin... May have to restructure some contracts.
FosterGreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #84
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterGreatness View Post
May have to restructure some contracts.
Not real sure who would be a candidate for a restructure .... They will most definately have to get creative going forward.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #85
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306641 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Not real sure who would be a candidate for a restructure .... They will most definately have to get creative going forward.
Antonio Smith is a big one. He is contracted to make $8 mil next year. Extending him and dropping that number could free room. Johnathon Joseph is another where base salary could be converted to bonus and salary cap freed up.
Old 08-18-2012   #86
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

How can you break this up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Qmig3W9zo&NR=1
Quick II Draw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012   #87
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what, I don't care. If the Eagles have figured out a way to have all those freakin' players, then so can we.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2012   #88
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I wasnt saying Schaub is on the level of that short list .... But that he's as good or better than everybody not on that short list.

As for Rodgers (or one of the other short list QB's) being better in this offense , I think its quite possible and highly likely.
What Kubiak does with route combinations and play design creates natural windows of opportunity for recievers. Couple that with the abiltiy of an above average player .... you often get #80 trotting around in the secondary and no defender within 10 yards when three guy's are responsible for him.
One of those elite QB's would most definately exploit that.

Sure , I'd trade Schaub for Brady , Brees , Rodgers or Manning ..... but Im not so sure there is another QB out there that I would say that about.

I dont know ... Yates did an admirable job last season , but Schaub had the offense at a whole different level.
Does Yates have potential to get better ?? Yes.
Does he have the potential to be the starter at some point in the future ? Sure.
When ? I dont know.

Is he more capable than Schaub today ?? I dont think so. This team has a Superbowl or bust mentality.

Schaub gives them their best shot at reaching that goal.

Having Yates , after the experience he gained last year is a hell of a luxury tho.
C, TJ does not have to be better than Matt today. That's the whole point. He needs to be "close" to Matt by end of this season so Smith can determine what to do with Schaub.
Old 08-18-2012   #89
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I look around the league and to be honest I don't see a great deal of player movement relative to the number of established "stars" out there. It's a balancing act and most teams eventually do lose somebody but you don't see a high-profile player leaving every team, every year do you?

What's going to start working in the Texans favor if they continue to win is that for every guy who wants to leave for more money there will be a couple who stay for reasonable money to be here. It's a relatively new thing for us but get used to it.
Rick Smith loves him some Wade Phillips because Wade Phillips has dramatically turned the defense around...via Wade identifying which players he could switch around, which players to draft, and which players to sign via free agency. So in essence: If Rick lets Wade be Wade, every year, Wade is going to re-stock those shelves and essentially create rookie contracts rather than bloated veteran contracts (cough, Mario, cough, cough). This gives Rick more money to spend on guys like Foster, Myers, D. Brown, etc.

Wade's immediate impact is being felt across the board here. Not only is he owning the defensive turn around, he's owning the ability to draft quality rookies (Mercilus) who give us leverage against guys like Barwin. Even Kubiak is drafting better...I think his picks of Martin, Posey, Ben Jones, Brooks, and even Mondek will end up sticking for years to come here.

So yeah, I agree with what you're saying.
Old 08-18-2012   #90
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Barwin will sign now and not go FA. Its the best defense in the league. He is a key cog in the wheel.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #91
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

He looks out of place to me. I don't think he's on the expendable list.
Old 08-20-2012   #92
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post

He looks out of place to me. I don't think he's on the expendable list.
Judging by that picture, I don't think he's smart enough to be expendable, LOL.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #93
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans said they don't negotiate contracts during the nfl season, I wonder if that means today is the start of week 1 and that did not reach an extension for Barwin
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #94
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we resign him, just a matter of much we are willing to dish out for him?
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #95
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77346 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
The Texans said they don't negotiate contracts during the nfl season, I wonder if that means today is the start of week 1 and that did not reach an extension for Barwin
Not necessarily. A few years ago Eric Winston was signed to a contract extension the Saturday before the opening game. I believe it was in 2008.
Old 09-03-2012   #96
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I am sure that the motive for some of the more head scratching moves at the end of the off season have to do with the cap.........not least of which is next year's. I'm afraid we are going to find ourselves no better off cap-wise in dealing with trying to keep and put together a winning team next year, while some of the others in our division enjoy a Rodeo Drive spending spree. "Expendable" is a word that I expect to be thrown around plenty from now to the 2013 season.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #97
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I am sure that the motive for some of the more head scratching moves at the end of the off season have to do with the cap.........not least of which is next year's. I'm afraid we are going to find ourselves no better off cap-wise in dealing with trying to keep and put together a winning team next year, while some of the others in our division enjoy a Rodeo Drive spending spree. "Expendable" is a word that I expect to be thrown around plenty from now to the 2013 season.
You are more than likely very correct Doc. Caught an article on espn.com that the Texans along with the Giants and the Lions are $700,000 over the cap as of 4:23 PM today.

Gonna be interesting on a lot of fronts next season.

Not JUST Conner Barwin.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #98
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I think our biggest point of conversation on this next year will be Owen Daniels, especially if Graham keeps progressing.
Old 09-03-2012   #99
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

he is in this day of age u cant keep them all unless the player himself wants to stay here and make less money

lets just enjoy Reed Merculis and barwin this year when there all here
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #100
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198610 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
You are more than likely very correct Doc. Caught an article on espn.com that the Texans along with the Giants and the Lions are $700,000 over the cap as of 4:23 PM today.

Gonna be interesting on a lot of fronts next season.

Not JUST Conner Barwin.
Someone help me out here; just what is the penalty for being over the cap, exactly????
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read