Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2012   #41
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2096 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Conner Barwin being expendable?

There's just no way the Texans retain all starters with the amount of big name contracts expiring in in the next two years. About the only sure thing is Cushing--can anyone imagine a scenario where he isn't retained after 2013?

There are only 3 variables to consider in keeping a player:
(1) How important is that player to the team?
(2) How developed/ready is the depth behind him?
(3) Do you have enough $$$ to give him a contract?

Barwin seems about as least likely to walk for $$$ as any player I've seen. He's a goofball whose only car is a prius, rides his bicycle to work, and by all accounts lives a low-maintenance lifestyle. Unfortunately it's his agent that will be doing the negotiating. And if Mercilus/Brahman work out, we could be looking at a 3-man OLB rotation that only needs to find 1 more backup pass rusher.

If Crick or Jamison have a good year they might let A.Smith walk. Quin is a solid player, but I wouldn't panic if they replaced him with Nolan or KJ.

Schaub is the most interesting case to me. What is market value on a 32-year-old finesse QB with an injury history? Plus, Yates has proven that there is a serviceable guy behind him.
Quick II Draw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #42
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I look around the league and to be honest I don't see a great deal of player movement relative to the number of established "stars" out there. It's a balancing act and most teams eventually do lose somebody but you don't see a high-profile player leaving every team, every year do you?

What's going to start working in the Texans favor if they continue to win is that for every guy who wants to leave for more money there will be a couple who stay for reasonable money to be here. It's a relatively new thing for us but get used to it.
Old 08-17-2012   #43
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

We cannot sign Barwin and Schaub. I wish we could but we can't blow up the team for 3 guys. If Schaub stays healthy all year and gets us 1-2 playoff wins then Barwin has to go. If Schaub doesn't stay healthy or doesn't get us a playoff win he may have to go although that's debatable. I think this team can still be great without Barwin but not without Schaub unless TJ made some big improvements which isn't impossible but is unlikely. We need the money from either Schaub or Barwin to resign Quinn McCain Dobbins Casey Jamison and Nolan. The good thing is 90% of those guys will take vet minimum but Casey Quinn and McCain will probably each ask for 1-3 million. Another Scenario is the rookie WRs look good as does Jared Crick and we can release Walter and Ninja which may mean we can keep the big three and some of the other starters/key backups.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #44
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing with Barwin is he really only has one year under his belt, right? I mean, usually you expect a guy to perform for 2-3 years before inking a big extension. Id like to see what he can do this season against a little better competition before signing him to a big deal
Old 08-17-2012   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I look around the league and to be honest I don't see a great deal of player movement relative to the number of established "stars" out there. It's a balancing act and most teams eventually do lose somebody but you don't see a high-profile player leaving every team, every year do you?
Yeah, all the gnashing of teeth seems premature. There are teams around the league who spend two and three times as much money on a QB and still have other stars like say Manning, Wayne, Mathis and Freeny. Denver just paid enough to Manning to have Brown, Schaub and Barwin under contract.

As an example of the things teams do - folks keep talking about dumping Antonio. He is in the perfect position to restructure. He wants a last contract. He is a solid player. Sign his to an extension which dramatically cuts his cap hit.
Old 08-17-2012   #46
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick II Draw View Post
There's just no way the Texans retain all starters with the amount of big name contracts expiring in in the next two years. About the only sure thing is Cushing--can anyone imagine a scenario where he isn't retained after 2013?

There are only 3 variables to consider in keeping a player:
(1) How important is that player to the team?
(2) How developed/ready is the depth behind him?
(3) Do you have enough $$$ to give him a contract?

Barwin seems about as least likely to walk for $$$ as any player I've seen. He's a goofball whose only car is a prius, rides his bicycle to work, and by all accounts lives a low-maintenance lifestyle. Unfortunately it's his agent that will be doing the negotiating. And if Mercilus/Brahman work out, we could be looking at a 3-man OLB rotation that only needs to find 1 more backup pass rusher.
Don't get fooled that alernative lifestyle guys don't want to get fair market value for their services. If he were willing to just taking an OK offer then he probabaly would have been done already. Not saying he will be a squeeze every nickle guy, but even that type of guy understands business is busines and I am betting that Barwin gets that.
Old 08-17-2012   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah, all the gnashing of teeth seems premature. There are teams around the league who spend two and three times as much money on a QB and still have other stars like say Manning, Wayne, Mathis and Freeny. Denver just paid enough to Manning to have Brown, Schaub and Barwin under contract.

As an example of the things teams do - folks keep talking about dumping Antonio. He is in the perfect position to restructure. He wants a last contract. He is a solid player. Sign his to an extension which dramatically cuts his cap hit.
Good post.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2012   #48
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Enough to cover their contracts now or when they are re-upped ?! I really didnt pay attention to the PeyMeATon mess.

I could see a scenario where Antonio Smith was a cap casualty ... but only if he refused to restructure and it seems he's very happy in Houston , with the team in general and the defense. He's also one of the leaders on that side of the ball ... I find it hard to envision him leaving under those circumstances.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #49
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Might be tough letting the superbowl MVP walk.
Who says A.J. is going anywhere?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #50
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2096 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Don't get fooled that alernative lifestyle guys don't want to get fair market value for their services. If he were willing to just taking an OK offer then he probabaly would have been done already. Not saying he will be a squeeze every nickle guy, but even that type of guy understands business is busines and I am betting that Barwin gets that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick II Draw View Post
...Unfortunately it's his agent that will be doing the negotiating.
I'm not.
Old 08-17-2012   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Barwin is a smart guy.

He is on a killer defense, and all he has to do is do what he does...and after this year's over, he can let his agents take bidders for his services in free agency 2013.

McClain, God love him and I know I just lost some street cred right here but oh well, old Johnny Pancakes tweeted that the Texans were trying to tackle contract extensions for Brown AND Barwin but that, according to McClain's wording, it was more hopeful to get one of those done and maybe not so good of a chance to get both of the deals done.

By the nature of things, Barwin (IMO) is going to want to see what he can get on the market. Just my hunch on it.
This is why Rick needs to do a full court press to sign Barwin before the season starts. He's a unique athlete, there aren't many people Barwins size that can run that fast on this planet. Plus there's no questioning his commitment to football. He's every bit the player that Clay Matthews is. IMO How much do you think the Packers would pay Barwin to play opposite Matthews?

Barwin if healthy is going to put up huge numbers in Wades defense. He's going to get MW $$$$. Because of his injury Rick can get Barwin at a fair price now. If he waits Barwin will probably be gone. Like MW only for more $$$$.

I have my doubts if Rick will sieze this opportunity. (Of course I have alot of doubts about Ricks abilities to judge talent) I could be wrong about this though.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #52
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Barwin will not get Mario money, even if he gets 20 sacks this year.
Old 08-17-2012   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Might be tough letting the superbowl MVP walk.
Not if you are convinced Yates can take you to playoffs and Matt decides he wants more from another team. That would be pretty easy actually. Also, if Yates is starter next season, with 2013 draft apparently deep on QBs you should get a pretty solid selection in first or second or maybe even 3rd. This also does not included what Keenum develops into. It could be Yates/Keenum and another late round pick to find the next TJ Yates.
Old 08-17-2012   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
It's a passing league these days. You need as many pass rushers as you can get. Just having two starter quality pass rushers wont cut it against the elite offenses nowadays. They will gas out and get beat in the 4th quarter. You have to have a 3 man rotation to make sure everyone is fresh when teams are throwing 40-50 passes per game.

Look at the success the Giants are having with 3 quality pass rushers.
Well we did pretty well last season with Barwin and Reed. No reason why Reed and Mercilus cannot do same. In fact I posted a mock saying Barwin would go in FA and we'd draft another OLB to go with Reed & Merci. Also predicted DB would extend.
Old 08-17-2012   #55
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Not if you are convinced Yates can take you to playoffs and Matt decides he wants more from another team. That would be pretty easy actually. Also, if Yates is starter next season, with 2013 draft apparently deep on QBs you should get a pretty solid selection in first or second or maybe even 3rd. This also does not included what Keenum develops into. It could be Yates/Keenum and another late round pick to find the next TJ Yates.
If Matt has a good season, stays healthy, and our team goes deep into the playoffs. He will be on our team next year.
Old 08-17-2012   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
If Matt has a good season, stays healthy, and our team goes deep into the playoffs. He will be on our team next year.
If Matt wants $12m he will not imo get it from Houston. How do you pay for it? Unless Barwin signs for an amazingly team friendly deal, I think Matt is on way out or they would not be negotiating now with Conner.
Old 08-17-2012   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
If Matt wants $12m he will not imo get it from Houston. How do you pay for it? Unless Barwin signs for an amazingly team friendly deal, I think Matt is on way out or they would not be negotiating now with Conner.
Old 08-17-2012   #58
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well we did pretty well last season with Barwin and Reed. No reason why Reed and Mercilus cannot do same. In fact I posted a mock saying Barwin would go in FA and we'd draft another OLB to go with Reed & Merci. Also predicted DB would extend.
Teams are not built on developing players, getting one or two years of production out of them and then having them walk. You want to pick wisely sign them for their first two contracts and then decide whether to let them go.

Quote:
Geez you are getting like GP with your crystal ball prognostications, just more terse. So they are trying to do a contract with Conner because they no longer want Matt?

Quote:
Yeah 'cuz top QB's just drop out of the woodwork from later rounds. Top 10 last year on QB rating - 6 1sts, 1 2nd (1st pick of the 2nd), 1 3rd (Schaub), 1 6th (Brady) and one undrafted (Romo).

People are getting awful cavalier between a huge demonstrated talent gap between Schaub and Yates.

Frankly folks are getting way to giddy entirely talking about dumping key pieces of a team left and right after they have made the playoffs once while predicting they are going to go onto a dynasty of revolving talent.
Old 08-17-2012   #59
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

If it came down to it, I'd keep Barwin over Schaub. Use the money to extend Cush and have money left over for Watt. Build a ferocious menacing D(like Blitzberg, the Ravens, or the Giants of the past) and create a solid offense based on running the ball, short west coast style passes, and lots of TE play. Don't need a top 10 QB for that, just a top 20, and certainly Yates can be that.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #60
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Mercilus is the key, he gives the Texans all kinds of leverage when dealing with
Barwin. If they work out something before the season starts (or during the season notwithstanding claims by the Texans they don't negotiate contracts during the regular season), it's going to be on very favorable terms for the organization.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read