Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2012   #21
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Conner Barwin being expendable?

No point in having players be good if you can't keep him.

Gotta keep Barwin if he tears it up again this year.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #22
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
No point in having players be good if you can't keep him.

Gotta keep Barwin if he tears it up again this year.
Well you can't keep everyone, which is why this is a debate. There's a guy waiting in the wings who could possibly take over for Barwin if we choose not to extend him next year. Therefore, we could let him walk and plug in our young draft pick and spend money on a vet at another position where we don't have that luxury.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Man , they are up against the cap .... and will be for the next few years.

Barwin , Cushing , Watt hitting the market in consecutive years = PAINFUL.

And thats not taking into account players on the opposite side of the ball ..... not to be confused witht the CB who confuses his name with Ball.
If you have to let Schaub/A.Smith/KJ walk to keep the LB corps and Watt you do it. Watt and the LB's are the heart of the defense. You cant have too much depth at LB in a 3-4.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #24
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133036 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If you have to let Schaub/A.Smith/KJ walk to keep the LB corps and Watt you do it. Watt and the LB's are the heart of the defense. You cant have too much depth at LB in a 3-4.
Let Schaub walk? I don't think so.

We don't have Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings. We've got Kerry Collins type player in Yates possibly. I'll pay Schaub whatever he wants.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Side note: I'm not in favor of paying Barwin rock star money. Wade is nailing his picks, has for the past two years, and will for years to come. Let's not get silly and pay one of them as if we can't find their replacement every year in the draft.
I don't want to be drafting Outside pass rusher in the first or second round every year from here on out, there are plenty of other positions that will need to be addressed.

Until guys like Brahman turn into players that contribute on Sundays, we need to keep Barwin. He's an OLB in a 3-4, so he shouldn't command rock-star money. A good chunk sure.....
Old 08-17-2012   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't want to be drafting Outside pass rusher in the first or second round every year from here on out, there are plenty of other positions that will need to be addressed.

Until guys like Brahman turn into players that contribute on Sundays, we need to keep Barwin. He's an OLB in a 3-4, so he shouldn't command rock-star money. A good chunk sure.....
It's Braman, not Brahman. And yes, if we keep identifying and adding LBs or DL every draft, and thus far Wade has shown he can indeed...Barwin has less leverage to use in negotiating.

There's only one LT...there's multiple LBs. And yet Barwin, like any rational player would, is going to want a nice contract.

Will it be reasonable or will he shoot a little higher than what's comfortable for us? I dunno, but it could make it harder since we've got Duane Brown locked up. I like that DB was handled first and foremost.

Hopefully Barwin buys into the teamwork spirit that AF and DB are exhibiting. I really can see Barwin wanting to test FA, though.
Old 08-17-2012   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Let Schaub walk? I don't think so.

We don't have Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings. We've got Kerry Collins type player in Yates possibly. I'll pay Schaub whatever he wants.
I'm a Schaub fan, but if being able to keep the defense intact means not re-signing a 32-33 injury prone Schaub. I would grit my teeth and let him walk.
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2012   #28
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm a Schaub fan, but if being able to keep the defense intact means not re-signing a 32-33 injury prone Schaub. I would grit my teeth and let him walk.
Same here.
Old 08-17-2012   #29
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand why merciless signals that barwin is expendable.

A rotation of barwin, reed and merci for the next few years sounds pretty sweet to me.

And I don't care or think it matters who the starters are. Those guys are going to push each other and make each other better and they should l get a healthy amount of playing time.

And plus there was some comment from one of the coaches indicating that they think Reed can play in the middle some.

Depth and quality players are not easy to come by so I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of it.

We should try to keep barwin and do whatever it takes....within reason.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't understand why merciless signals that barwin is expendable.

A rotation of barwin, reed and merci for the next few years sounds pretty sweet to me.

And I don't care or think it matters who the starters are. Those guys are going to push each other and make each other better and they should l get a healthy amount of playing time.
Texans fans aren,t used to having a team with depth. Depth is what separates a 7-9, 9-7 team from a playoff/SB contending team.
Old 08-17-2012   #31
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Might be tough letting the superbowl MVP walk.
Old 08-17-2012   #32
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is a big year for schaub.

If he gets injured again or for some reason has a down year I wouldn't be surprised if they low ball him or flat out let him walk.

I like Yates a lot and I honestly think he can be a starting qb in the NFL.

But if schaub has a good or very good year...fuh get aboutit. He will be a Texan. Unless he is clearly in decline or damaged goods, you don't let qb's the caliber of schaub just walk.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Might be tough letting the superbowl MVP walk.
Hope you're right.

That would be a great problem to have.
Old 08-17-2012   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Well you can't keep everyone, which is why this is a debate. There's a guy waiting in the wings who could possibly take over for Barwin if we choose not to extend him next year. Therefore, we could let him walk and plug in our young draft pick and spend money on a vet at another position where we don't have that luxury.
Then you'll have a Jesse Nading coming off the bench to spell Merci & Reed. That's not going to work. What will end up happening is that our starters will be taking 90% of the snaps & we'll have what we had with Mario. Guys getting hurt all the time & not being able to finish the season.

I understand you can't keep everyone. That's why Rick Smith needs to be smart about it & lock Barwin up before he blows up.
Old 08-17-2012   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Barwin is a smart guy.

He is on a killer defense, and all he has to do is do what he does...and after this year's over, he can let his agents take bidders for his services in free agency 2013.

McClain, God love him and I know I just lost some street cred right here but oh well, old Johnny Pancakes tweeted that the Texans were trying to tackle contract extensions for Brown AND Barwin but that, according to McClain's wording, it was more hopeful to get one of those done and maybe not so good of a chance to get both of the deals done.

By the nature of things, Barwin (IMO) is going to want to see what he can get on the market. Just my hunch on it.
Old 08-17-2012   #36
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin's awesome but he won't be paid as an elite player. He is a very good player who fits the system very well. I don't think he would be a cap casualty per se. I can see him hitting the market on his own but I don't think the Texans just let him go as easily as they did Mario, DeMeco (Yes I know trade but its still letting him go), Briesel, and Winston. Having Reed step in like he did and now possibly Mercilus just doesn't scream money. Our next cap casuality will likely be Daniels.
Old 08-17-2012   #37
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

who would keep if u had to choose one Reed or barwin i think its a no brainer ...barwin

thats there plan i think see how matt does this year and if doesnot work out which i hope dpesnot happen we cut him and maybe get a good vet stop gap QB
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #38
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

It's a passing league these days. You need as many pass rushers as you can get. Just having two starter quality pass rushers wont cut it against the elite offenses nowadays. They will gas out and get beat in the 4th quarter. You have to have a 3 man rotation to make sure everyone is fresh when teams are throwing 40-50 passes per game.

Look at the success the Giants are having with 3 quality pass rushers.
Old 08-17-2012   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
It's a passing league these days. You need as many pass rushers as you can get. Just having two starter quality pass rushers wont cut it against the elite offenses nowadays. They will gas out and get beat in the 4th quarter. You have to have a 3 man rotation to make sure everyone is fresh when teams are throwing 40-50 passes per game.

Look at the success the Giants are having with 3 quality pass rushers.
True. This is why we grabbed the NCAA sack leader in the last draft even though we have Barwin, Reed, & Braman (sp).
Old 08-17-2012   #40
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 119840 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to see the guy stay, but the texans have something like 8 starters in a contract year. We're going to start losing a LOT of people. You cant blow up a team to keep a couple of people. Our draft m.o. needs to start looking like the patriots or we'll be back to mediocre in 2-3 years. It sucks but its better then being a miserable team again. This is the drawback of success...
powda is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read