Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2012   #81
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 77572 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans and Duane Brown reach contract agreement

Alex Gibbs deserves credit for delivering 13 years of solid play at the left tackle position. Brown seemed like a gamble, but Gibbs evaluated him perfectly.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #82
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown is a Texan because he wants to be here & truely believes his team is on the cusp of an extended Super Bowl run. He is a respected community citizen, loves Houston & everything it offers as well friendly Texas tax rates. When you weigh it all out this was a no brainier for all sides involved

Welcome home brother & thanks to pay me Rick

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #83
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
How come Brown only gets 22 M guaranteed when Mario gets 50 M, and
Duane is more important to us than Mario ever was ? I don't get it ?
A premium pass rusher seems to be worth more, and the Bills were willing to go full special and hand over that much cash.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #84
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not quite sure on that, but the Bills had a lot of money to spend this year and they wanted to make a big splash. Their pass-rush was really bad last year, so I guess they were willing to pay a premium for "the best pass rusher in the league!" (lol...) I dunno if they truly believe Mario is that, but they sure did pay him like it.

Maybe Brown isn't thought of as well as we think he is. Maybe he is considered a second tier LT and this was the best he could get, but I doubt that. In any case, it's a good deal for both sides and it will make it easier for the Texans to retain Schaub. Most importantly, they just freed up the franchise tag for next offseason.
Old 08-17-2012   #85
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 52955 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Umm, we didn't sign Mario, he was a free agent and had more than one team bidding.

Brown was resigned before he had a chance to hit the open market.
Old 08-17-2012   #86
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm not quite sure on that, but the Bills had a lot of money to spend this year and they wanted to make a big splash. Their pass-rush was really bad last year, so I guess they were willing to pay a premium for "the best pass rusher in the league!" (lol...) I dunno if they truly believe Mario is that, but they sure did pay him like it.

Maybe Brown isn't thought of as well as we think he is. Maybe he is considered a second tier LT and this was the best he could get, but I doubt that. In any case, it's a good deal for both sides and it will make it easier for the Texans to retain Schaub. Most importantly, they just freed up the franchise tag for next offseason.
Two more factors I'd throw in (The second one indirectly touches on your point about how highly Brown is thought of).

1. Mario's been a big name in the league ever since the national uproar that resulted from the Texans picking him #1 overall instead of Bush. He's been a frequent subject of national attention since then - mostly in a positive fashion. Correctly or not, he's more highly thought of outside Houston than inside. He plays a sexy stat driven position that when played well and effectively receives a lot of attention from the game announcers. None of those things apply to Duane Brown. Mario will sell tickets - Duane Brown won't

2. Mario's been to two Pro Bowls, he's been Sporting News All Pro twice and AP All Pro (second team) once. Duane's been to no Pro Bowls, and to this point, the only post-season honor he's received is second team AP All Pro. It may not be fair, and in my opinion it doesn't reflect reality, but from a league standpoint, Mario's simply got a stronger resume.
Old 08-17-2012   #87
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Two more factors I'd throw in (The second one indirectly touches on your point about how highly Brown is thought of).

1. Mario's been a big name in the league ever since the national uproar that resulted from the Texans picking him #1 overall instead of Bush. He's been a frequent subject of national attention since then - mostly in a positive fashion. Correctly or not, he's more highly thought of outside Houston than inside. He plays a sexy stat driven position that when played well and effectively receives a lot of attention from the game announcers. None of those things apply to Duane Brown. Mario will sell tickets - Duane Brown won't

2. Mario's been to two Pro Bowls, he's been Sporting News All Pro twice and AP All Pro (second team) once. Duane's been to no Pro Bowls, and to this point, the only post-season honor he's received is second team AP All Pro. It may not be fair, and in my opinion it doesn't reflect reality, but from a league standpoint, Mario's simply got a stronger resume.
Both good points. To expound on the first one I think the shock of the pick over two sure fire future hall of famers who have since flamed out has raised awareness of Mario. It's funny their failures still get reported on more but virtually every time they mention Mario as a success. Heck by reports may get cut from even being backup QB. In six years the next Gayle Sayers hasn't matched Domanick Davis' 3 year rushing total.

It has also become very popular around here to downplay Mario. If we looked back at the threads most people thought he was robbed not getting in the pro-bowl the year before he did which would make three pro-bowl seasons. He was a pro-bowl level player.
Old 08-17-2012   #88
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It has also become very popular around here to downplay Mario. If we looked back at the threads most people thought he was robbed not getting in the pro-bowl the year before he did which would make three pro-bowl seasons. He was a pro-bowl level player.
Yep, and the thing about Mario and to some degree Cushing, is they were good players on bad defenses. The scheme sucked for most of the time those guys were in Texan uniforms yet they still found a way to shine.

That just goes to show the type if talent they have IMO. I really wish Mario could have been healthy all year last season for our benefit. He'd have still left this off season most likely, but he was having a string year.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #89
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
A premium pass rusher seems to be worth more, and the Bills were willing to go full special and hand over that much cash.
I think generally speaking a premium LT is as valuable as a premium pass-rusher, OK. However I can see how Duane might not get quite as much as Mario, but not this deep of a discount ? Duane's guaranteed money is less than 50% of Mario's ? Duane and Mario are both about the same age, while Duane clearly has been more durable. Something dosen't add up here ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #90
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think generally speaking a premium LT is as valuable as a premium pass-rusher, OK. However I can see how Duane might not get quite as much as Mario, but not this deep of a discount ? Duane's guaranteed money is less than 50% of Mario's ? Duane and Mario are both about the same age, while Duane clearly has been more durable. Something dosen't add up here ?
Simple, In the broad NFL market OLT tackles are not quite paid to the level elite pass rusher are. The other factor is that Mario went to the open market and Brown did not. I am guessing that Brown gets more guaranteed if plays well again and goes free agent. that's why you sign now instead of later.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/

DEs

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/defensive-end/

Tackles

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/tackle/
Old 08-17-2012   #91
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

There is the risk reward factor in re-signing before a deal is up. You maximize your value if you wait until you hit the open market, but run the risk of injury that would jeopardize your big payday. Signing earlier for a bit less helps mitigate that potential damage. It worked out well for Domanick Davis.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #92
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yep, and the thing about Mario and to some degree Cushing, is they were good players on bad defenses. The scheme sucked for most of the time those guys were in Texan uniforms yet they still found a way to shine.

That just goes to show the type if talent they have IMO. I really wish Mario could have been healthy all year last season for our benefit. He'd have still left this off season most likely, but he was having a string year.
Yeah, Mario was gone regardless of how much or how well he played, the Texans couldn't have given him a competitive deal anyways. If he had remained healthy, he could have kept Barwin from exploding and getting on the entire league's radar. Aside from finally seeing Mario excel in a great defense, it would have been nice for him to temper Barwin's production and reduce his asking price in 2013. Oh well, can't win 'em all.
Old 08-17-2012   #93
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, Mario was gone regardless of how much or how well he played, the Texans couldn't have given him a competitive deal anyways. If he had remained healthy, he could have kept Barwin from exploding and getting on the entire league's radar. Aside from finally seeing Mario excel in a great defense, it would have been nice for him to temper Barwin's production and reduce his asking price in 2013. Oh well, can't win 'em all.
Thats not completely true .... They made him a reasonable offer tho less than the brinks truck Buffalo ended up giving him , it was reasonable for the position.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #94
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Thats not completely true .... They made him a reasonable offer tho less than the brinks truck Buffalo ended up giving him , it was reasonable for the position.
I thought Mario said they never made him an offer...??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #95
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
He also said he wanted to stay in Houston.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #96
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
What, like 8 million a year? The money we gave Foster? Cause anything more than that might have cost us Meyers too. I don't think they made an offer, and even if they did, they had to know that he was going to get upwards of 80 million over 6 years.
Old 08-17-2012   #97
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Mario did say that the Texans did not make him an offer.
Old 08-17-2012   #98
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where did you get this from? I remember all of us making a big deal out of Mario saying on Twitter that the Texans never made him an offer.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #99
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Where did you get this from? I remember all of us making a big deal out of Mario saying on Twitter that the Texans never made him an offer.
I wish I could say I pulled it out of my ass .... but thats not true. I wish I hadnt made the post ....

Maybe John McLain could offer a better answer.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #100
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Mario did say that the Texans did not make him an offer.
Folks play a lot of word games with this stuff. The team may verbally say how about 6 years $80 with this kind of structure but not put it in writing. Then the player goes out and says he never received an offer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read