Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2012   #141
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The improbable improvement of Kareem Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I couldn't agree with this more. EU seems to just want to "be right" about Kareem and continues to bash him because it fits his original stance. He loves to gripe about KJ and continues to make comments that lack common sense.

I don't agree with everything that you say though 76. For example, Kareem isn't counting the yards in which he is running down the sideline and calculating when the Saints "usually" make that throw. It's not quite that technical, or not in my opinion. More likely, Kareem was just late in turning his head to locate the ball. He shows improvement on that play from his first or even early second year though. Back then he would have just pushed into the receiver to get a PI call. He's improving, it is just taking longer than the impatient fan would like it to.
But I do believe that (in the incompletion to Henderson) KJ turned his head around at the right time, TS.

From a Redskins playbook, I learned a coaching point that the DB should not turn his head until the receiver makes the break.

Here, Jackson needed to make sure that he pinned the receiver to the side line first (to better defend the back shoulder fade).
The top of the fade was about to be reached at this time.
It was only then that he was in truly good position to turn his head around, which he did.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #142
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why don't they just do like #53 and tackle the receiver?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #143
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
He will. KJ looks like he was mentored by Jaques Reeves. And yes Bong I know Calvin Johnson is a physical freak.
If you know this beforehand why would it make you throw things? Are you easily upset?
Old 08-26-2012   #144
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1427 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
I've went back and watched the whole game and kareem really didn't have a bad night at all.
I think this is going to be the Kareem-related mantra we're going to be hearing most of this year.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #145
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo orlando View Post
I think this is going to be the Kareem-related mantra we're going to be hearing most of this year.
That we jump to conclusions because he gives up a play and fans revert back to 2010 form?
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #146
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

2. On the TD pass to Moore, he played the exact same technique the other Texans defenders were playing. Why don't people go gripe about all those players. And actually, they should go yell at Vance Joseph and Wade Phillips for teaching the guys that technique.
Go back & watch that play from the snap. See where Kj is lined up, where the safeties are lined up. Watch what happens when the receiver gets closer to, then runs around Jackson.

That wasn't a taught, trailing technique. That was a guy who bit on something he shouldn't have, then tried to recover, & he was in good position, considering the bite on the play-fake.

If I were trying to defend Kj on that play, that would be my story, can't blame a guy for "attacking" a play in an aggressive defense. That was a great catch by Moore (who doesn't show up unless he's playing Kareem Jackson) & I don't have a lot to complain about Kj on that play.

The one that gets me the most, is when Jimmy Graham was thrown to in the end-zone.. I don't think Graham caught the ball, Kareem wasn't even covering him. Kj was covering a guy on the shallow end of the endzone just to the left of Graham.

Brees shouldn't have thrown the ball, because Graham had someone right behind him & Kj right in front of him. Jackson saw the ball release from Brees' hands, but instead of playing the ball, he turns & plays the man.

That should have been an INT, Kj should have attacked the ball, made a play. But he didn't.
Old 08-26-2012   #147
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1427 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That we jump to conclusions because he gives up a play and fans revert back to 2010 form?
if you have to continually go back and micro-analyze game tape just to determine that a player's not as bad as you think, then that player might be a redneck, er, not that good
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2012   #148
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
if you have to continually go back and micro-analyze game tape just to determine that a player's not as bad as you think, then that player might be a redneck, er, not that good
Here comes the fan I'm talking about...
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #149
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Who didn't get picked on last night? It looked like to me Drew Brees was an equal opportunity abuser.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #150
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Who didn't get picked on last night? It looked like to me Drew Brees was an equal opportunity abuser.
We should be fine, just reminded me of last season. Atleast we had a 14-0 lead until all our guys decided to give the ball away in a gift basket to the saints.
Old 08-26-2012   #151
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Go back & watch that play from the snap. See where Kj is lined up, where the safeties are lined up. Watch what happens when the receiver gets closer to, then runs around Jackson.

That wasn't a taught, trailing technique. That was a guy who bit on something he shouldn't have, then tried to recover, & he was in good position, considering the bite on the play-fake.

If I were trying to defend Kj on that play, that would be my story, can't blame a guy for "attacking" a play in an aggressive defense. That was a great catch by Moore (who doesn't show up unless he's playing Kareem Jackson) & I don't have a lot to complain about Kj on that play.

The one that gets me the most, is when Jimmy Graham was thrown to in the end-zone.. I don't think Graham caught the ball, Kareem wasn't even covering him. Kj was covering a guy on the shallow end of the endzone just to the left of Graham.

Brees shouldn't have thrown the ball, because Graham had someone right behind him & Kj right in front of him. Jackson saw the ball release from Brees' hands, but instead of playing the ball, he turns & plays the man.

That should have been an INT, Kj should have attacked the ball, made a play. But he didn't.
Are you talking about the play where manning was covering Grahm?

I don't know if I would place any blame on kj there because I don't know what was called or how the coaches asked them to play that, but my initial reaction was that it looked like manning was expecting Kareem to jump the route but he didn't.

Looked like he was in good position to, but for some reason he didnt do it.

But I'm not going to sit here and criticize him for that in particular simply because it was kind of sketchy. I don't know what was supposed to happen there and I don't know what Kareem saw.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #152
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
KJ has done better reseriving further judgment for reg season
still this........
Old 08-26-2012   #153
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kj........ Lol
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #154
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not sure I follow you Fid.
If you care to elaborate a little more?

What did KJ bite on?
He was on the receiver like glue from start to finish.
Old 08-27-2012   #155
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I just re-watched that play... I don't quite see it the same way you described. He was on his man like he should be. Once Brees released the ball, KJ immediately left his guy and tried to make a play on the ball, but he arrived too late.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #156
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Are you talking about the play where manning was covering Grahm?

I don't know if I would place any blame on kj there because I don't know what was called or how the coaches asked them to play that, but my initial reaction was that it looked like manning was expecting Kareem to jump the route but he didn't.

Looked like he was in good position to, but for some reason he didnt do it.

But I'm not going to sit here and criticize him for that in particular simply because it was kind of sketchy. I don't know what was supposed to happen there and I don't know what Kareem saw.
If this was the TD that Graham caught then KJ had nothing to do with it.

This was definitely cover 2.

The Saint were in single back shotgun with the RB on the right side of the formation.

WR Henderson wide left (KJ on him)
TE Graham in slot left (Quin on him)
WR Colston in slot right (McCain on him)
WR Moore wide right (JJo on him)

Manning was the FS (on KJ and Quin side)
Demps was the SS (on the other side, where the RB lined up)

Texans were in a 4-man front, Dime package.

Dobbins was the lone LB; he would jump on the RB right of the bat.
This suggests Man coverage in cover 2 (two safeties).

Or it might be a combo, with Dobbins the only one in man coverage on the RB, and the rest settled back into a 42 zone.
(This was suggested by the fact that Quin didn't really follow the TE; he seemed to be settling in his zone - if it was man, than Quin blew the coverage).

If it was man, KJ did right staying with his man (Henderson).
If it was zone, KJ also did right staying in the flat defending Henderson.

If it was zone, Manning was late jumping on the TE who encroached his deep zone.
He had two guys who might threaten his deep zone.
(KJ already took care of Henderson by staying ahead of him the whole time).
The only threat to his zone was the TE Graham.

From what I observe:
1. If it was man, Quin blew it.
2. If it was zone, Manning blew it.
Old 08-27-2012   #157
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I analyze game tape to see the true worth of a player (the way I determine that Myers was the most consistent O-lineman for the Texans the last few years).
Old 08-27-2012   #158
bo orlando
Veteran

Quote:
Here comes the fan I'm talking about...

Other teams clearly target KJ in their gameplans, the guys he's covering consistently make big catches, and he rarely comes up with big plays like drive-killing PD's, ints, or tackles.

I have no doubt that he doesn't look as bad on tape as his rep would suggest. Unfortunately, his rep is that he's maybe the worst starting corner in the league so there's a lot of margin there. Sure, there's always sneaky good players that you don't always notice while watching the game live (Antonio Smith for example), but is that really the case here or are we just talking about a player who's "not that bad?"
Old 08-27-2012   #159
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Other teams clearly target KJ in their gameplans, the guys he's covering consistently make big catches, and he rarely comes up with big plays like drive-killing PD's, ints, or tackles.

I have no doubt that he doesn't look as bad on tape as his rep would suggest. Unfortunately, his rep is that he's maybe the worst starting corner in the league so there's a lot of margin there. Sure, there's always sneaky good players that you don't always notice while watching the game live (Antonio Smith for example), but is that really the case here or are we just talking about a player who's "not that bad?"
Can you tell me how many big catches he gave up in each of the game he played last year, including the play-offs?
Old 08-27-2012   #160
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Can you tell me how many big catches he gave up in each of the game he played last year, including the play-offs?
Only game I recall KJ having a bad day was .... the Aints. But Brees does that to a lotta guy's. He's just a special player.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read