Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans Top 5

wolf123

Rookie
After watching the preseason game about 5 times. I got to thinking about the difference in players we have on this team and players we used to have pre-Kubiak/Smith.

Top 5 Most Hated Texans of All-time.
1. Matt Stevens-Worst Safety of all time
2. Phillip Buchanon
3. Seth Wand
4. Morlon Greenwood
5. Tie Jaque Reeves/Petey Faggins

Top 5 Texans you missed on(I.E players you thought would be great)
1. Amobi Okoye-After his rookie season I expected much more.
2. Antwain Peek-Hell raiser on special teams, that never put it all togeather.
3. Fred Bennett-
4. Eric Moulds- One good preseason game and then his legs died...
5. Jerome Mathis

Top 5 Draft Busts
1. Tony Hollings
2. Phillip Buchanon
3. David Carr
4. Bennie Joppru
5. Tie between Okoye, babin and Travis Johnson

whats your list Texans fans?

Last edited:
After watching the preseason game about 5 times. I got to thinking about the difference in players we have on this team and players we used to have pre-Kubiak/Smith.

2. Phillip Buchanon
3. Seth Wand
4. Morlon Greenwood

3. Fred Bennett-
5. Jerome Mathis

Whats your list Texans fans?

Surely Travis Johnson fits in somewhere there...

Most Hated:

1. HWWNBN
2. Pukecannon
3. Travis Johnson
4. Bennie Joppru
5. Anthony Weaver

Missed on:

1. Domanick Davis
2. Jabar Gaffney
3. Morlon Greenwood
4. Will Demps
5. 0k0ye

Missed on:

1. Domanick Davis
2. Jabar Gaffney

We missed on getting the offensive rookie of the year in the 4th round?

Jabar Gaffney has had a 10 year NFL career so far and just signed a 2 year contract with a SB contender. The miss on him was getting rid of him.

Jabar Gaffney has had a 10 year NFL career so far and just signed a 2 year contract with a SB contender. The miss on him was getting rid of him.

Missed on thinking he was going to be our long-term RB, yes.

Yes Gaffney is still in the league but he hasn't been as good as I thought he was going to be. Okoye is still in the league and might be for a long time but it'd still be a miss.

Also, the OP stated Top 5 Texans you missed on(I.E players you thought would be great)...

Most Hated:

1. HWWNBN
2. Pukecannon
3. Travis Johnson
4. Bennie Joppru
5. Anthony Weaver

Missed on:

1. Domanick Davis
2. Jabar Gaffney
3. Morlon Greenwood
4. Will Demps
5. 0k0ye

One could argue that Babin could be on the "missed" list. He flopped for us but showed up for Tennessee and Philly.

I used to hate Matt Stevens until I found out what happened to him a few years ago... poor guy got paralyzed in a motorcycle accident. : /

2. Phillip Buchanon
3. Seth Wand
4. Morlon Greenwood

3. Fred Bennett-
5. Jerome Mathis

Whats your list Texans fans?

I don't think I've always been like this but these days I'm less inclined to hate players for their shortcomings on the field. Matt Stevens wasn't a good safety maybe but I never thought he lacked effort. The same could be said for just about everyone on your list with maybe the exception of Buchanon. He seemed to not put forth the effort at times. The rest of them I'd say were simply players with limitations they couldn't overcome.

I can't really get upset about guys drafted too high either. David Carr didn't value himself first overall, Charlie and Bob did that. Even then it was a mistake, teams make them. Now that the Texans don't appear to be making nothing but mistakes I find that I'm less upset about them than I used to be.

Since I don't have a hated Texans list I'm going with my Top 5 Texans "mistakes" and my Top 5 Texans misses.

Mistakes

1. David Carr: Bob fell in love with the wrapper and the franchise QB smile. It was a mistake to draft him instead of Julius Peppers.

2. David Carr: It was also a mistake to hang on to him as long as the Texans did.

3. Amobi Okoye: Surrounded by talent in the draft (Revis...hurts to think about it) he was a roll of the dice that the Texans couldn't afford to take.

4. Philip Buchanon: Thinking they needed youth and speed the Texans upset Aaron Glenn and broke up one of the few units on their team that worked. Buchanon didn't.

5. Tony Hollings: Waste of a second round pick that we couldn't afford to blow at that time. To add insult to injury we stumbled upon Domanick Davis the very next draft.

Missed

So many, how can you narrow it down to only 5? Sure I had all the same big ones that everyone else did. That's not really missing.though if you think about it. When your team takes a chance on Amobi Okoye you're contractually obligated to try and believe right? No, I have a weakness for UDFA's and bottom round projects. Every year I find one and decide he's going to be the diamond in the rough who comes through. I was doing this before Arian Foster got here and to be honest he wasn't even on my radar. I thought these guys were going to be stars though.

1. D.J. Rentaria: Defensive lineman out of New Mexico. He was going to be a beast and who knows, maybe he was in Canada or the Arena League. No idea what happened to him but I know what didn't. He didn't break out and become a star

2. Dorin Dickerson: On his fourth team already but I had this crazy notion that he was going to be a surprise Andre Johnson clone. Not so much.

3. Antwan Peek: I just kept thinking he was going to get it and he just never did.

4. Jeremiah Johnson: He's who I thought was going to blow up and be our incredible RB from out of nowhere. While everyone was looking at Arian Foster and thinking "How did we find this guy when no one else did?" I was saying that about Jeremiah Johnson.

Time will tell on that one.....:spit:

5. Jared Zabransky: Every year I think Kubiak is going to find that UDFA who ends up taking us to the Super Bowl when Schaub goes down. Case Keenum is this years model and I think a clear upgrade over all those late round or UDFA QB's that came before him but I remember doing this when we signed Zabransky. He was going to be great.....

Last edited:
Missed on thinking he was going to be our long-term RB, yes.

Yes Gaffney is still in the league but he hasn't been as good as I thought he was going to be. Okoye is still in the league and might be for a long time but it'd still be a miss.

Also, the OP stated Top 5 Texans you missed on(I.E players you thought would be great)...

Noone could of foreseen Domanick Davis would have a short career due to injury BUT the potential was there. So that isn't fair to say he was a disapointment.

Noone could of foreseen Domanick Davis would have a short career due to injury BUT the potential was there. So that isn't fair to say he was a disapointment.

I think everyone needs to read and try to understand the OP's thread. IN MY OPINION Domanick Davis was going to be GREAT BUT was NOT. Whether it was due to injury or whatever doesn't mean anything. I THOUGHT Domanick Davis was going to be a GREAT NFL player, I was WRONG in my original assumption at the time therefore he is on MY list as MY most disappointing player. Feel free to list yours, it's a freaking opinion and it's my opinion so post your own opinion. This is why Gaffney is on MY list because I THOUGHT he was going to be a VERY GOOD NFL player but was NOT and still isn't and never was.

ETA: The OP added to his original post. Just wanted to point out Pukecannon was not drafted by the Texans, Casserly somehow got out-witted by old man Al Davis and traded for him for a second rounder and another pick or two IIRC. That says a lot about how good Casserly was as a GM that he was out-witted by Davis.

For the umptenth time, Benni Joppru was not a bust, unless you are talking about his luck (or lack thereof). And why on earth would anybody really want to hate Seth Wand ?

2. Phillip Buchanon
3. Seth Wand
4. Morlon Greenwood

3. Fred Bennett-
5. Jerome Mathis

Top 5 Draft Busts
1. Tony Hollings
2. Phillip Buchanon
3. David Carr
4. Bennie Joppru
5. Tie between Okoye, babin and Travis Johnson

whats your list Texans fans?

Not going to dwell on the negative; been there, done that, it’s in the past.

Just a couple things:
Don’t “hate” any Texans. Just very strong dislike for Casserly and Carr.
Matt Stevens always gave a 100%. P-burnt was a POS.
We didn’t draft P-burnt. Casserly got raped by the raiders on a trade.

I don't hate any player as a person or carry any ill feelings for them. They were just players that I hated their play. Most of these guys were great in the community, but I hated having to watch what they did on the field.

As for P-Buch. Yes, I know we traded picks to get him and didn't draft him. Therefor in my mind he was a Draft Mistake.

Lastly, I didn't make this thread to dwell on negative or bash players but to remember where we were 5-6 years ago and how fortunate we are to have a team and coaching staff that's one of the top in the NFL now.

Past vs Present
CB-Phillip Bucanon vs Johnathan Joseph
Safety-Matt steven, CC Brown, Eugene wilson vs. Glover Quinn & Daniel Manning
RB-Steve Slaton & Domanick Davis VS Arian Foster
LT-Seth Wand Vs Duane Brown

We have upgraded big time and came along way as a franchise and Its important to remember that.:hurrah::whip:

Jacoby Jones is definitely in my top 5. I'm still trying to figure out why the FO was so in love with him to give him a new contract before last season. That guy had me in fear every time a punt was kept inbounds.

Typical miss the boat comment from our resident contrarian. They didn't get rid of him. He forced their hand by laying down like a dog. Jabbar Gaffney and Jason Babin were easily the two biggest piece of **** to ever pass through. They jaked their way off the team and in the process crippled it due to the wasted high picks. We gave up a lot for those two sorry jakes. Carr was just a miss. Goofball Johnson and Alessbe Akoye as well. Those were GM misses. Gaffney and Babin have talent. Dogging your way out of town is the lowest. I hope one of our DB's get a clear clean shot at Gaffney when we play the Patriots.

Typical miss the boat comment from our resident contrarian. They didn't get rid of him. He forced their hand by laying down like a dog. Jabbar Gaffney and Jason Babin were easily the two biggest piece of **** to ever pass through. They jaked their way off the team and in the process crippled it due to the wasted high picks. We gave up a lot for those two sorry jakes. Carr was just a miss. Goofball Johnson and Alessbe Akoye as well. Those were GM misses. Gaffney and Babin have talent. Dogging your way out of town is the lowest. I hope one of our DB's get a clear clean shot at Gaffney when we play the Patriots.

Thanks for another drunken almost incoherent (generously graded) rant.

Back